Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have a very expensive record you friend wants. What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have a very expensive record you friend wants. What would you do?

Folks

I'm sure most of you have been in this situation at least once.

You find a record cheap while digging that a friend wants alot.

You could sell it online for about 150 quid and finance quite a few records on your want list, or you could try to find a way to let your friend have it.

What would you do, and what have you done in the past to solve this quandarry?

I'm not interested in selling it to him for money, only trades really and I'm hoping for a win-win situation, of course ...

Thanks in advance for the brain storming ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Umm, you trade it for record(s) that your friend found cheap and that can be sold online for 150 quid? Preferrably not 150 £1 records then.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Just give it to him/her. They'll be dead chuffed and you'll feel good too

North of the River Cole

Comment

yes do it, it's Christmas so just think of all the good karma
        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
          Just give it to him/her. They'll be dead chuffed and you'll feel good too

I suspected someone would say that. Unfortunately I'm not that nice a person. I think I'm fairly nice but not that nice ...

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
            Umm, you trade it for record(s) that your friend found cheap and that can be sold online for 150 quid? Preferrably not 150 £1 records then.
            Well, that's another idea, which seems preferable ...

What I'll probably do is ask the bloke to suggest a deal that will make us both happy ... it's hurting my head thinking about it ...

Comment

Just curious, RedX and Head Gardener, have either of you ever given away such a valuable record yourselves?

Comment

yes, I am a bit soft like that, I also undersell stuff I want to get shot of to friends when they throw the puppy eyes at me
                The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

If it's really a friend just give him/her the record. That will make you feel better than trying to make a deal out of it.

I once gave away a copy of Ritual (Nico Gomez) to a friend and in the years following every now and then he would give me a record back, saying "You remember the Ritual you gave me, here is someting for you".
                  So in the end it turned out to be a trade after all.

He died a couple of years ago and I still get a good feeling when I remember him and this "transaction".

Comment

I gave a friend a 150 pound record, I did have a few copies of it mind you, 6 months later he listed it for sale on discogs ...
                    Not so friendly with him these days

Comment

sell it him for £100, or trade it, or stick it on ebay and send him the link
                      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                        I gave a friend a 150 pound record
                        Originally posted by reza View Post
                        6 months later he listed it for sale on discogs
                        Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                          sell it him for £100
                          Seriously? Also if you bought the record for £1?

Comment

I've not had this with a record but I did used to go book hunting with a friend of mine and if I found something when he wasn't with me then I would give it to him. I'm pretty sure I got more off him-and still do- than he got off me. Once we were both out together and I spotted a rare book of ghost stories very cheap before he did and managed to buy it without him being aware; I was then able to give it to him for Christmas.

If he's a very good friend I think, if you found the record cheap, you could just give it to him, after all it's cost you nothing. You'll definitely feel good about it and so will he. It's worth keeping your record finding karma intact.
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

yeah, he gets a bargain, you don't lose out. because you could just stick it on ebay and get £150. both win.
                              otherwise you end up in the above position where you give him it and then he sells it on ebay / discogs anyway.
                              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                              X