Generation X consumption: " I bought it from my mum's catalogue"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generation X consumption: " I bought it from my mum's catalogue"

I haven't contributed a thread in a while, but this subject surfaced regularly last year when talking to Generation X DJs. (It's always 'mum's catalogue' rather than 'dad's' too...)

I was taken aback by how many DJs began their journeys in the 70s and 80s by purchasing their first hi-fi equipment 'on tick' from Littlewoods / Janet Fraser type catalogues. I shouldn't have been surprised really because my whole wardrobe and fashion sense between about 1968 and 1978 (6 to 16 years old), including my beloved platform shoes with a red leather flame stitched to the platform, came courtesy of 'the Peter Craig catalogue', and the arrival of the latest one was always a source of great excitement.*

Please feel free to reminisce...

* ...not just for the fantastic lingerie pages, which I've mentioned here before...
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

I regularly got LPs from my Mum's Grattans Catalogue. I recall it was mainly Beatles, Bowie and the like - Grattans is to blame for my leanings.

...lingerie pages? Not sure what you're on about
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
      I haven't contributed a thread in a while, but this subject surfaced regularly last year when talking to Generation X DJs. (It's always 'mum's catalogue' rather than 'dad's' too...)

I was taken aback by how many DJs began their journeys in the 70s and 80s by purchasing their first hi-fi equipment 'on tick' from Littlewoods / Janet Fraser type catalogues. I shouldn't have been surprised really because my whole wardrobe and fashion sense between about 1968 and 1978 (6 to 16 years old), including my beloved platform shoes with a red leather flame stitched to the platform, came courtesy of 'the Peter Craig catalogue', and the arrival of the latest one was always a source of great excitement.*

Please feel free to reminisce...

* ...not just for the fantastic lingerie pages, which I've mentioned here before...
      As I recall The 'Grattan' catalogue was considered a little more upmarket than the others- at least it was in our house. There used to be a big section at the back which was just sweets but sweets you could never dream of having because they were in bulk and your mum was never going to buy those for you. My Grandad died last year (102 years old) and one of the reminiscences that came out at his funeral was how he, and my sister, would 'eat' the sweets from the back of the catalogue.

The whole idea of HP seems very quaint these days when you can buy what you like, whether you have the money or not, and no questions asked.
      Last edited by Shere Khan; 11-01-2017, 03:44 PM.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Buying catalogue shoes was unthinkable to my mum. Shoe shopping involved hours of being measured with shoeshop calipers, having my toes pressed through the leather, "taking little walks" and eventually coming out with sandals because they "allowed my feet to breathe."

My mum's lefty/protestant ethic meant there was no HP, and thus no catalogues in our house. I had to tug off over the Badedas bathsalts adverts in Cosmopolitan and Good Housekeeping instead. GH was generally a desert, Cosmo was better and the rarely-purchased She was the best.

I always wondered why the band were blindfolded in this one. It was me who looking at the top of her arse, not them.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

the mysterious magic of horse chestnuts?
          instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post

My mum didn't shop from catalogues so I got my first "proper" pair of shoes (circa 1970) from Direct Shoe Supplies on the Seven Sisters Road - not sure which came first, these:

or these:

with added blakeys of course

First hi-fi came Laskys on the Edgware Road 1973/74

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
              the mysterious magic of horse chestnuts?
              It certainly got my little conkers working.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I don't know about knocking one out but if a bunch of blindfolded cello players fronted by Canadian coke snorting snooker player Kirk Stevens paddled up to my pad on a raft they'd get a right old kick in the horse chestnuts and no mistake!
                Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                  My Grandad died last year (102 years old) and one of the reminiscences that came out at his funeral were how he, and my sister, would 'eat' the sweets from the back of the catalogue.
                  I like that story.
                  At school we'd find the East Midlands in the World Atlas, then one of us would blow on it and everyone else would pretend to be caught in a hurricane. Fat Frank Shaw once gobbed on us and we all drowned.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                    My mum's lefty/protestant ethic meant there was no HP, and thus no catalogues in our house. I had to tug off over the Badedas bathsalts adverts in Cosmopolitan and Good Housekeeping instead
                    What your lefty/protestant mum could not provide, the Lord Who Created The Internet can.
                    I will spend some more time today Googling '70s catalogue lingerie pages' and clicking 'Images' and early next week I will deliver you a delightful selection of the visual treats your teenage eyes were exempted from.

I spent a few minutes on this vital research yesterday but was left frustrated by the dominance of 80s catalogue lingerie page filth. I'm no expert on major differences between 70s and 80s lingerie but hairstyles are always a dead giveaway.

Thank you for giving me something rewarding to do.
                    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

I can´t wait. Please keep it 70s - no "bodys" with horrible popper studs on the crotch.
                      I'd request French knickers because they're clarsy, and I also have a mild housecoat fetish.

Hubba hubba!
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

mmmmm......courtelle.

Comment

Black ten hole Docs.

Before, and for some time after, the only Docs I ever saw at school were 'ox blood' (or whatever it was). Cue mild confusion amongst dudes generally.

I like to think that I was fashion-forward even then.

Littlewoods catalogue IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                            I can´t wait. Please keep it 70s - no "bodys" with horrible popper studs on the crotch.
                            I'd request French knickers because they're clarsy, and I also have a mild housecoat fetish.

Hubba hubba!
                            Whatever happened to the House Coat? Or the Car Coat, for that matter. If we 're-imagined' the House Coat could we set up a Kickstarter campaign and bring it back into vogue? It would have to be artisan, of course.
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

This thread has led me to reading, in the last twenty minutes, a forum much like this one except it's called 'satinforum'. Like this one it's populated by largely men. Like this one they are posting about their interests. Thread titles are

How to upload pictures
                              Black satin dress
                              gf in gown
                              Some music videos with great satin
                              The Countess of Snowdon
                              What satin are you wearing right now?
                              Kiss My Silky Posterior!!

There are many parallels but it seems that the chief entertainent of the folks on Satin Forum is taking opportunistic wanks down the sleeves of satin lined coats and then posting pictures of the coats afterwards. Kind of like a grotesque finds thread.

So... I don't know where this is going... I'd probably just like to give thanks to this place.

Wouldn't mind a copy of your mag when it comes out too Ian.
                              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                              X