Bubblegum / Garage and the thin funk line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubblegum / Garage and the thin funk line

I hope that I'm not the only person on this forum who likes a bit of bubblegum music...

I think that 'I'm a believer' would be the song I'd mention if I ever was badgered into naming an all time favourite song.

Question one : Anyone know of any harder fuzzier psychier cover versions?

A lot of bubblegum music is a little to saccharine for me, but from time to time a song comes along that really hits the sweet spot on my musical taste buds...

Some examples
    Quick Joey small - Kasenetz & katz Singing Orchestral Circus
    Run Run Billy Porter - Shadows of Knight
    Gimme Good Lovin - Crazy elephant
    Any version of Louie louie

Question two : Anyone got any others they would add to this all to brief list of rockier garagey bubblegum stomp?

There is also a thin dividing line between bubblegum and psyche garage stuff, a genre I don't have a great experience of .

Question three : Is there any stuff out there that approaches this dividing line from the psyche garage side of the line? I imagine that this sort of stuff is much more oscure and harder to come by. Any pointers?

Having just asked that I should mention i'm a big fan of the Sonics, so perhaps recommendations along the lines of them would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

I am not really sure what bullbgum is but I would recommend the Fake Soundtrack "Hot Curumba" which can be found I think for not much cash.

This is not an original 60s recording but still has that trashy/sleazy sound. Also any of the Las Vegas Grind comps would be a good.
    My Mixcloud

Comment

I don't know much about bubblegum but I love 'Hard Ride' by 1910 fruitgum co.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

is Short Shorts by the Royal Teens bubblegum?

it's a party fave of mine whatever

Comment

Can i get back to you after the weekend on this one...literally got hundreds of the buggers...Some Bubblegum but alot of Garage Soul stuff too...not able to get to my house and check records until after weekend...plus not able to think due to working so bloody hard at moment...

Try Music Explosion,Question Mark,Litter for starters...as for Bubblegum there were loads of one off that would fit your catagory and alot of the good ones were studio bands on U.S. labels just cashing in on the garage scene

Good compilations to listen to are the Nuggets LP's (not the box set or Double album set though they're good too)...Some of the Pebbles LP's too...as for BubbleGum stuff there are a few great Boots on vinyl to check out with one or three belters on each...like i say i'll be in touch after weekend
          Country be dyin like poor people do
          Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
            I don't know much about bubblegum but I love 'Hard Ride' by 1910 fruitgum co.
            That's a great LP. I'm sure most folks on this site would get something from that LP

The bubble gum/garage psyche etc cross paths a lot.

Check out Bubble Gum Machine LP (reviewed by LDJB recently). Very bubble gum as the name suggests, then you get "I Wonder" which is great pop psyche (as sampled by Black Sheep, yey )
            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Although I'm always banging on about him, check out anything that Kim Fowley has a hand in. Perfect bubblegum and perfect garage, often in the same song - the greatest example being his own song called...suprisingly...'Bubblegum'.

Shiftless - you listened to that Kim comp I copied? You like?
              Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I Like Very Much Jimmy Thankyou

Comment

Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

Please forgive my complete ignorance here, but does anyone have a definitive explanation as to what Bubblegum actually is?

Comment

No, but, something like, shamelessly comercial pop from the late 60's and early 70's, innocent lyrics that can work on two kiddie & adult levels, more often than not using the top level session musicians & singers of the recording industry. The attraction being that some of the tunes are just so damn catchy... perfect pop!
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz
                        , shamelessly comercial pop from the late 60's and early 70's, innocent lyrics that can work on two kiddie & adult levels
                        Even Jonathan King got in on the act....

Comment

Yeah, Jonathon King is shameless.... amongst other things
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

?!

RE Kim Fowley. . .a lot of his stuff is shit/indulgent/patchy. . . though there are gems. I definitely wouldn't buy anything just because he was associated with it, however. . .

His S/T debut LP on Tower has a couple of good tracks. . .not heard his instrumental organ LP. . . "Outrageous" LP (and the 45 - Bubblegum/Wildfire) is absolutely brilliant and an essential purchase. . ."Good Clean Fun" is marred by lots of entertaining spoken work surreal bullshit about flying bulldogs. . . couple of good tracks though. Of his later work, "Animal God of the Streets" ain't bad. . .and "Is America Dead" quite an entertaining song. . .

Of Fowley produced projects. . .the self titled "St. John Green" LP is interesting - some great psyche tracks and wacky, sinister sci fi lyrics. . .the Them - "Belfast Gypsies" LP also has a few Fowley produced nuggets on it. . my favourite being the menacing "Secret Police".

Did anyhone go to the Kim Fowley show at the Dirty Water club a few years back ??? It was definitely an event. . . shambolic yet highly entertaining, I thought. My mate was playing with him and wrote an entertaining article on the encounter. . . a most chucklesome read, I think you'll find. . .

FOWLEY LINK

I was a bit too inhibited to approach the great man myself.

RE bubblegum gone garage. . . the Flies '45 of "I'm not your Stepping Stone" (mentioned by Col Wolfe in another recent post) is very sinister and also a must-have. Recently repressed on the Acme "Great British Psychedelic Singles" boxset, which I strongly advise you to purchase, if you can track it down.

Comment

Working...
                            X