hawaian lps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawaian lps

Been picking alot of these up on the off chance. Seems to me there all full of rubbish. Anyone any tips? I'm after the really 'trippy' reverby stuff, for want of a better explanation.
    ta.

Well the main collectable Hawaiian LP to look for on the more funk/soul tip is Lemuria's. Even if you don't like it too much, cos it's really only a one tracker, the bay will shift it for in excess of a ton.

Dunno how trippy the LP is as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
      Well the main collectable Hawaiian LP to look for on the more funk/soul tip is Lemuria's. Even if you don't like it too much, cos it's really only a one tracker, the bay will shift it for in excess of a ton.

Dunno how trippy the LP is as a whole.
      not at all trippy. just good quality soul / jazz with a bit of a disco vibe. like a more relaxed roy ayers...

Comment

There's an lp on ad-rhythm, one im after. Its called 'lowrey holiday' it contains a track called 'on hawaiian shores'. I know the song from the 'ad-rhythm' sampler lp 'electronic organs today'.

Turns up at car boots and charity shops now and then.

From your description of what your after I think it would fit quite well.

Not strictly hawaiian but close enough.anyone heard this obscore piece of vinyl 'big steel guitar' by 'Rod King'. One of those records that is so stupid its good, has fucked up covers of 'lucy in the sky with diamonds' and 'nobody does it better' (with 007 theme intro!!) all instrumentals performed on the steel guitar and doebro

saucy slide guitar heaven
        Earfuzz

Comment

I'm into a bit of hula-slide guitar action myself, anything with a weird, haunting guitar sound to it. If that's what you mean by trippy, I discovered a corker the other day...

Bob Blaine and The Aloha Hawaiians - Hawaii Honeymoon (with a very saucy cover!), spefically 'Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair'. Very scary and very beautiful on an otherwise duff album.
          Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

On the JUNGLE EXOTICA Vol.1 compilation there is a rock'n'roll hawaiian thing called Kana Kapila by THE CONTINTENTAL COUSINS.
            Apparantly the Martin Denny lp HAWAII GOES A GO GO is worth picking up.

Its pretty cool in a silly way.

David S.
            God bless Fatso.

Comment

As David mentioned, Martin Denny's 'Hawaii A Go Go' has a great groovy take on Booker T's 'Hole in the Wall' that's well worth the cover price. It's not particularly Hawaiian or trippy but I dig it.

Jamie.
              https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Originally posted by vinylism
                not at all trippy. just good quality soul / jazz with a bit of a disco vibe. like a more relaxed roy ayers...
                Bizarrely a CD was issued of it in the late 80's, that the missus picked up. Gave it a listen last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
                  Bob Blaine and The Aloha Hawaiians - Hawaii Honeymoon (with a very saucy cover!), spefically 'Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair'. Very scary and very beautiful on an otherwise duff album.
                  oh cool, i hadn't actually bothered to play this album, just got it for the crazy cover!

i reckon there must be some good Wout Stenhuis tracks, but i only ever seem to find his stuff in places charging proper prices. "Paradise Island" has the "Tiger Shark" track that i like. what's the Surf LP like? only ever find it trashed or for a fiver or something.

"Hammond in Hawaii", which might have Wout on it, is quite nice. one track sounds like it could be looped to make an instant Broadcast track....

Comment

I like hawaiian music and related stuff loads, haven't piped up until now as never really found anything in the way of 'trippy reverby stuff' as originally asked for...

I can confirm that Wout Stenhuis does indeed have a few tracks worth looking for.

There is a great version of 'hawaiian war dance' on the one with jumping dolphins on the cover, this one is quite upbeat, unlike most hawaiian stuff, and has great, in an amusing way, breathy hawaiian vocals.

Other upbeat stuff can loose the plot all together and decend into manic drumming madness, loosing all semblance of the groove completely.

I've got such a slew of hawaiians albums and Wout's I forget most specifics, but don't pass on an album of his that has 'Melati flower' on it, takes me away to the tropics every time I put it on... there are other great tracks on it aswell, 'Jungle bird' or perhaps 'Jungle fantasy' , I forget, but will have a look through my hawaiian LP's over the weekend...

There is an album by George de Fretes that is something of a hawaiian hula / jazz cross over, but only for the 'ardcore whyee music lover...
                    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

There's a good one on Bosworth. 'Hula Rock'?

Comment

The Hawaiians - From the Famous Beach Hotel
                        That's pretty trippy for Hawaii-music, got some cool guitar effects (even a slight fuzz I think) and I think a bit of moog if I remember correctly to go with it. Also some great selections of songs - I remember Telstar and Music To Watch Girls By is on it.

Also check out the work of Santo & Johnny - guitar/steel guitar instros that get almost a bit on the psych side in their best moments.
                        "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb
                          The Hawaiians - From the Famous Beach Hotel
                          That's pretty trippy for Hawaii-music, got some cool guitar effects (even a slight fuzz I think) and I think a bit of moog if I remember correctly to go with it. Also some great selections of songs - I remember Telstar and Music To Watch Girls By is on it.
                          I'll back this one up, wonderful version of caravan on it... unlikely to have been recorded anywherer near hawaii, infact I doubt if any of the musicians had actually ever been to hawaii, but that doesn't stop it being a fine record...

I think I remember Ivor Raymonde as the name behind this... I also have an album calleed 'rock n roll tangos' by Ivor, any others to look out for?
                          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

As for Woot, I quite like his Hawaiian Surf Guitar album with the ace green cover with him staring intently at his slide...nothing particularly groovy on it but a couple of nice spooky things, one called 'Paradise' I think.
                            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

All this talk of Hawiaiian records has made me buy 2 on my lunch break. Pretty sure they will be complete rubbish. I promised myself about a year ago that i would never buy another Hawaiaiin record as ive never found a good one.
                              Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
                              www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
                              www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

Working...
                              X