X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free pop electronic concept reissue?

Hi,
    Wonder if anyone could help me. I recently picked up a copy of
    'A new exiting experience' by the 'Free pop electronic concept'. I picked it up on cdandlp for 20 euros, I had my fingers crossed It was going tobe an original. Now Ive received it looks like its a bootleg or reissue. Does any one know If it has been bootlegged? Or does anyone know how to tell if its original or not?

Ive heard there are issues released in 67 and others in 69, but I have a feeling its alot newer than the 60's, not definate though

any help would be greatly appriciated
    Earfuzz

?!

It has been bootlegged.

I have a Canadian original (on Ace of Clubs). Why can't folk tell the difference between an original and a reissue (even people who work in record shops) ??! Blow me fucking down.

OK. . . ways you can tell if it's an original:

A) Does is look old ? I.E. cover wear and overall wear incurred by the passing of the decades ?

B) Does it SMELL old ? Old things smell.

C) White cardboard seems to brown with age in some cases - peek inside the jacket (and don't forget to sniff while you're in there!). If it doesn't look / smell new - then it's olde. . .

D) LOOK AT THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE BLOODY SLEEVE. This is so obvious. .. (!!&^%&*). Most US/Canadian/Japanese. . . a lot of records were originally manufactured with "paste on" covers. If you examine most US record manufactured pre mid 70's, the front and rear covers are separate pieces of paper which have been pasted onto the cardboard which houses the record. UK pressings of this era (and for that matter most recent pressings and reissues) are one piece bits of cardboard which have been folded together and glued. This isn't actually always the case however, and recent Japanese pressings and some bootlegs (i.e. of the Bare Knuckles soundtrack, and the Blackbelt Jones boot) do have covers manufactured in this way.

However, most don't. If your Free Pop has an Ace of Clubs label and has a non-pasted on cover then it's definitely a boot (I think the cover of the boot is slick and shiny, the original has a matte finish).

E) Quality of vinyl - if it seems to be a thin/poor quality pressing it's unlikely to be of 60's origin

However there is also a European release on Palette (?) and Belter records - I've read of Spanish/Belgian pressings of this LP, but never handled these.

Popsike displays 3 European originals on Belter / Palette records that went on the 'Bay. . .

POPSIKE LINK

I think only one issue of this was booted - I think it was the Ace of Clubs but I'm not sure. . . hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Oh well, I was clutching at straws really,
      I gave it the smell test this was the main reason I thought it was not original. This copy does not mention 'ace of clubs' and does not have the logo, its on 'Electronic records' ???

Nice LP though
      Earfuzz

Comment

?!

Great LP, I reckon.

Sounds like a boot to me. .. I managed to get my current original from Ebay for 16 quid including postage (!!). Previously I had another 2 Canadian originals. . .cost me 55/50 quid each. They're not always that expensive- Popsike records some as going for 70 bucks - so it's probably worth shelling out if you can find a cheap original, I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba
          D) LOOK AT THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE BLOODY SLEEVE. This is so obvious. .. (!!&^%&*). Most US/Canadian/Japanese. . . a lot of records were originally manufactured with "paste on" covers. If you examine most US record manufactured pre mid 70's, the front and rear covers are separate pieces of paper which have been pasted onto the cardboard which houses the record. UK pressings of this era (and for that matter most recent pressings and reissues) are one piece bits of cardboard which have been folded together and glued. This isn't actually always the case however, and recent Japanese pressings and some bootlegs (i.e. of the Bare Knuckles soundtrack, and the Blackbelt Jones boot) do have covers manufactured in this way.
          i've recently seen a few bootleg releases aiming for that "authenticity" when it comes to sleeve manufacturing, be it pasted sleeves or using thinner quality card for non-US issues, giving it the look and feel of an older release.

picked up don sebesky's "distant galaxy" recently which looked and felt like the OG (which i've got) but after seeing the record label i realised it was a bootie.

anyone else come across similar 'authentic' looking booties?

Comment

.....love the Free Pop lp, anyone know of any similiar lps?

Comment

Yep...LOADS

The thing that really gets my goat up is certain well respected second hand shops trying to make a quick buck by either using corner cuts/hole punches...then sun drying the sleeves a little...scuffing the edges a little and also "browning" the inners or unseaming and then pasting them back using a gum rather than modern glue...the way to be sure that it's not just a scorpio pressing or boot etc is to check the vinyl...it's too hard to fake it...obviously over the internet you can't really check but in a shop it's as easy as Viba Cuba says...

Price has a big factor over the net...if somethings too good to be true then it usually is though you should check and see what else is on offer by the seller...the clues are all there if you look for them...

Back to the shop scams...i think it's pretty disgusting when it happens and have not graced a shop with my custom again if ever offered conterfiets passed off as the real deal....one shop that used to be open in Manchester obviously thought i was a bit green...and when i pointed out that the Ray Barretta was just a press even though it was aged...the old git tried to wiggle out of it by making out he'd been ripped off and then as i left ne muttered under his breath"tosser"?!!!? ...next day sure enough the LP could be seen through the window in one of the racks...

Follow the path of LOVEJOY and you can't go wrong
              Country be dyin like poor people do
              Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Surely the fact that it was a Ray Barretta LP should have made you think something was amiss?

Sorry couldn't resist that one.

I will now have to make sure I type all artist names correctly for the rest of my days on the board.

Yours, being a pednat

Hadrian Elephant
                He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

HAHAHA

Cheeky git!!! Stop giving me the "daggers"

Next time i'll have a "stab" at getting my spelling correctly

I'll tell you something Mr Elephant...you're very "sharp"

and "cutting" too

You've made your "point"

Sorry i'll do better next time...

Comment

with the jokes too....i'll never be able to play my Acid LP without smiling now you git

Comment

never knew that there's a bootie!how's the soundquality on the free pop reissue?
                      can you explain to me what this word means?

www.myspace.com/deenoakathedustybutton

Comment

It's a Belgian boot pressed up about 5 years ago by (I think) the guy that runs Jukebox in Brussels
                        Confirmed.

The original came out on Palette.
                        CORSO: What kind of advice you got for politicians?

BURROUGHS: Say the truth once and for all and shut up forever.

Comment

Originally posted by deeno
                          never knew that there's a bootie!how's the soundquality on the free pop reissue?
                          I have the boot/reissue and to me it sounds great
                          My Mixcloud

Comment

It was published in Spain back at the time on Discos Belter.

Comment

Working...
                            X