Dukowski83's Dundee CSC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dukowski83's Dundee CSC

Well here is the second of my CSCs - this time I set off to the far away land of Dundee for my semi-regular pilgrimage. With the toddler in nursery (and very unhappy about it if the tantrum as I left was anything to go by) and the other half in work it promised to be a day for freedom and ambling about. Setting off breakfast was this:

Arriving in Dundee I heading first for Reform Street where there are a few charities clustered together and I've had some success in the past. A couple weren't open yet as it was just after 9 in the morning so I hit up the Barnardo's and Oxfam first:

Barnardo's was barren (a trait that would become wearing as the day went on) but Oxfam had a plentiful supply. Unfortunately it was almost entirely 80s pop of the Stock, Aitken, Waterman persuasion and was therefore almost entirely uninteresting. There was a promising book and 45 about Maori culture and music but at a fiver would have taken a fair wedge of the budget and I was feeling optimistic. Still, the first record I actually saw in Oxfam was one that I'd been keen to pick up (indeed, had rejected just the other week online as between the cost and postage it would have been nudging £10 which for a punt is too much) to investigate for my burgeoning interest in Gaelic folk music:

I've not had a chance to listen to this one yet, but am looking forward to it. It was on the shelve with a Sound of Mull LP which is great so hopefully it can come close to that. I carried on my way through the baltic cold that had descended on Dundee up High Street and the Murraygate towards the Wellgate Centre. First shop I came across was a British Heart Foundation which I expected nothing from and wasn't disappointed before heading on to Debra:

Now those of you who read to the end of my previous CSC will know that I hold Debra in decent regard given historic finds and today was, while not the highlight of the trip, still vaguely fruitful. Picked up three records here although not sure how I will feel once I get around to listening to them:

Dekka Danse were a synth pop/new romantic group from Aberdeen who I have a passing interest in so was worth picking up. The Wayne Nutt I've seen online a few times but never in the flesh - he was a Texan oil man who according to the press release had worked in Texas, Venezuela and the Congo before finding himself in the North Sea working in the "isolation of the rigs" and decided to try his hand at country music "in a new British style". Colour me intrigued. The last one by Alexander Rozenbaum just struck me as something unusual to find in Dundee - a politically charged (apparently) Russian solo guitarist on Melodiya who looks particularly serious on the cover.

Next up I headed in to the Wellgate centre (which I would like to publicly state here is possibly the most unpleasant shopping centre I've been in - and have also got lost/trapped in at one point which may have coloured my view). Anyway there are four charities in there including a BHF Furniture and Electrical which I ignored as I headed to the top floor to Sense Scotland, St. Margaret's Hospice and the Tayside Deaf Hub.

Inside the Tayside Deaf Hub I forgot that there was a high possibility of the staff being deaf and proceeded to make small talk - rather embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as the shop assistant enquiring as to whether I was the toddler on the cover of this:

Now, in my defence here I was starting to worry about what I might find as the shops had so far not been up to much and this LP was on a label I was unaware of previously (and for those who don't know I am vainly trying to catalogue every independent Scottish label from the 1960s to the early 1990s) which had a nice label design and the instrumentation, although it mentioned accordion prominently, also mentioned "bass, drums, drums, piano, organ, synthesizer, glockenspiel, celeste and guitar" and described itself as "unique in the world of Scottish music" which it is in places but still smothered in damn accordion. Shamefully this would not be the only accordion LP I would punt on that day. A strange aside to this LP is the address for the label appears to be an electricity substation in Denny which currently has other companies registered to the same address, is this a common business approach?

And no, I am not the toddler on the cover.

Moving back to Reform Street I hit up the last two shops there - British Red Cross (zilch) and Chest, Heart and Strike Scotland (loads of vinyl - most of which I had if it was vaguely interesting.

I did pick up this LP on Lismor but am not holding out high hopes for a psych folk masterpiece:

By this time it was approaching lunch and I had a long-ish walk to the next port of call which was the Tayside Re-Use It centre where I have come across a few decent bits before. It doesn't look that promising outside:

But inside there is a fair whack of vinyl to hunt through. This is one of the two LP stands and there were a couple of boxes of 45s as well:

Picked up these:

The Proclaim the Word LP is a recording of the 1967 Assembly of the Baptist Union of Scotland and is mostly xian twaddle but there is a track which is a reading over an organ recital which has something. It's a keeper for the cover though, I love the typeset and this would end up only being the second best cover sleeve of the day (and the best one had better music as well - bonus!). The Juniper Green is a pop-psych-y type LP which I had been hoping to find (but never thought I would) which sounds like it would be pretty good if it wasn't scratched to buggery. Still my 50p has got me a few unscratched tracks and the knowledge that I like it so should keep my eyes open for it again.

After this it was back in to town past this handsome chap:

And on to a well known establishment for lunch (a chicken katsu bake thank you very much):

If I had had more time I'd have popped in to this place across from Groucho's as they do amazing rolls with as many filings as you want. Last time I went I had black pudding, a fried egg and bacon which was immense. Washed down with good tea as well and they support the local arts and crafts movements as well so all good.

Speaking of Groucho's, it was my last stop in the City Centre before hitting the hinterlands:

Mostly kept to the cheapo boxes in the spirit of the day. Had been looking for two specific McCalman's LPs and had looked through the Scottish folk box and found almost every single LP except either I was after. However in the £1 boxes I came across one of them! Chucked in another LP by them as ballast and an Alasdair Gillies early effort on Thistle that I have a 45 from and was on my way. I could have bought any number of marginally interesting Scottish folk/xian/choral LPs there but behaved myself as I know I wouldn't actually listen to them, like them or conversely be able to part with them and my other half is relatively understanding but certain areas of music do push it.....

Alas housework is calling so I will need to cover the hinterland searches later this afternoon.

a chicken katsu bake
    blimey! it's probably been over a decade since I was last in a Greggs

Comment

I did a CSC on Saturday and will post it soon.

Expectation management - it won't be as in depth or interesting as yours, Dukowski83!

WF

Comment

All are welcome Willy-Fogg - it's that sense of getting to see somewhere different, recognising the chud that clogs the charity boxes elsewhere!

Comment

1) Must have porridge for breakfast tomorrow.

2) Would it be fair to say that Dundee is the pits? Oh, no, that was the first place wasn't it.

3) Dudhope - the planners having a sly joke?

4) The McCalman's look like they were serious about it.

5) Bring on the hinterland!

Comment

That McCalmans cover is brilliant. I've already thought up half a road movie based on it. It'll be like Troll Hunter with jigs and reels.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Funktionnaire View Post
              1) Must have porridge for breakfast tomorrow.

2) Would it be fair to say that Dundee is the pits? Oh, no, that was the first place wasn't it.

3) Dudhope - the planners having a sly joke?

4) The McCalman's look like they were serious about it.

5) Bring on the hinterland!
              I'd take Dundee over Kilmarnock any day! There's been a lot of investment along the shore front which is looking great these days (barring the construction work) and the new V&A is really starting to take shape. The university district is nice as well but there aren't many chazzas there so my photos may not catch the best view of the city! In comparison to the Wellgate Centre there is another shopping centre at the other end of the High Street (possibly called the Overgate) which has a glass frontage and the shops all face out on to it giving the appearance of a more traditional shopping street which works fairly well - it all overlooks a public square, church and Desperate Dan and is a fairly sympathetic approach to modern retail architecture.

That aside on to the hinterlands.....

Comment

So, having left Groucho's and the city centre with a modicum of success it was time to do the hitherto undone - hit suburban Dundee and it's nether regions. Now it must be said at this point that I was driving about (only got lost once) and there may be more culture than records coming up. The choice of driving music for this trip was Hawkwind's 'In Search of Space' and Boris' 'Heavy Rocks' (the orange one) which are both very much at odds with anything I found. Anyway, first stop was the Barnardo's donation centre in Craigie:

Which despite all evidence to the contrary was actually open as the sign said. Some vinyl, the highlight of which was some Polish disco/pop/rock LPs but my spidey senses were tingling so I left these dubious selections and went to press on to other parts of the city. In the car park you could make out the oil rigs in the docks for repairs which is a novel sight for someone from the west coast

I felt acutely nervous taking this shot as just as I finished and turned back to my car I saw there was a police car parked next to me with two officers making another patron of the shopping centre empty his boot on to the car park itself. I have no idea what they were looking for but I moved on post haste....to a second hand emporium in Arklay St. whose name escapes me and which had no vinyl. However I take this snap of what I believe to the two geographically closest together football stadiums in the UK - namely Tannadice and Dens Park (homes of Dundee United and Dundee FC respectively). Tannadice is to the left and you can see the floodlights of Dens Park to the right:

On now to Strathmore (not sure what the area is actually called but this was the main road going through it) where there is a Barnardo's and a Sense Scotland (but little vinyl):

Spidey sense failing me I headed to Lochee which was the penultimate stop where I expected to find four chazzas. However the Debra has closed down leaving me with only three which given the poor returns so far from the hinterland did not look promising as Debra is often my go to. Parked at a retail park next to more evidence of Dundee's industrial heritage (and apparently to the point naming traditions) - I give you 'The Stack':

On to Lochee High Street where working in reverse order I hit Oxfam (no vinyl), BHF (some vinyl but nothing of interest) and then trudged up to PDSA dis-spirited as I have never found any vinyl in a PDSA (possibly the only charity chain I have had such poor luck in) so you can guess what happened.

Now before we get on to my finds from the PDSA - has anyone ever come across a chazza with a heavily grilled front door? That's what the BHF was like which was a little disconcerting. And the lady who works in the PDSA was very lovely and very chatty but really slow to deal with customers regarding their actual custom - I was champing at the bit to check out what I'd got!! Anyone, one box of vinyl, roughly piled and mostly uninteresting but came across (in order or fin, and interest ironically enough):

Now, I already own a single by Teresita which is dubious country pop so I should have known better really but I have a penchant for picking up releases put out through Black Gold Studios from the Campsies (just north of Glasgow). But I have this question - how does a Filipino woman end up recording a country LP outside Glasgow and being managed by a woman from a village outside Aviemore in the Cairngorms? The mind boggles. Speaking of which:

I have no idea (well I do) why I picked this up. I should have run a mile - accordion, 18 year old prodigy, recorded in a schoolhouse turned into a studio in rural Aberdeenshire, folky men with beards as his friends, I mean what was I thinking. Well, it was an SRT press which I generally pick up and, I kid you note, they take on a Jobim Samba and it's great. No really - they also do a latin type version (kind of) of Fly Me to the Moon. The rest is gash though - White Heather Club shenanigans to the max and lots of references to jigs and reels, but those samba/latin tracks.....

Lastly, the winner of sleeve cover of the CSC (and possibly my year at a minimum) is this:

I reckon their trying to channel some Blue Note/Rat Pack vibes here and for the most part it's relatively uptight lounge lite-jazz and some standards thrown in. Quite pleasant and there are a couple of tracks I rather enjoy. I'd be keeping it for that sleeve anyway but all the better that it's decent stuff (and in perfect nick as well unlike the Juniper Green)

After that I hit the Perth Road area where there were another three charities (Diabetes Aide, British Red Cross and Shelter) but hardly any vinyl and no more purchases:

So 19 charity shops hit and 1 record store (plus the 14 charity shops over the weekend) over 5 towns/cities over a weekend turning up about 25 LPs and one single. Not bad and hopefully some interesting reading and sights. One postscript to all this is I popped in to my local shop (Oxfam in Stirling) while doing the shopping earlier and came across this:

I was thinking about putting some of the better tracks together on to a playlist on Mixcloud - any interest in that?

Not strictly part of the CSC but still captured over the half term holiday

Comment

Never heard of that Juniper Green....looks interesting.
                  "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                    Never heard of that Juniper Green....looks interesting.
                    I think i may have a spare of this - I'l check tonight.
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                      I think i may have a spare of this - I'l check tonight.
                      Lee have you ever come across their second LP or the earlier 45 on Columbia. I heard the 45 on Columbia and it was quite different from the LP, didn't really do much for me

Comment

Originally posted by dukowski83 View Post
                        Lee have you ever come across their second LP or the earlier 45 on Columbia. I heard the 45 on Columbia and it was quite different from the LP, didn't really do much for me
                        I didn't know either existed to be honest Stephen. What doe the 2nd LP look like? I see the first LP around a fair bit here in EH - I assume they were local?

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                          I didn't know either existed to be honest Stephen. What doe the 2nd LP look like? I see the first LP around a fair bit here in EH - I assume they were local?
                          "Juniper Green - a village on the outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland, situated 9 kilometres south-west of the city centre. It bridges the city bypass, and extends along the foothills of the Pentlands. Wikipedia" Could be!

Stephen, I've seen that MDQ album before and was NEARLY seduced by the graphics. But it was in St Andrews and I couldn't quite bring myself to have a punt for a fiver, convinced I'd see it again. I did. Six months later in the same shop for the same price. Never encountered it again, curious if it's trad New Orleans parping or slightly more contemporary. Or... good.
                          Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://m.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine54/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                            "Juniper Green - a village on the outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland, situated 9 kilometres south-west of the city centre. It bridges the city bypass, and extends along the foothills of the Pentlands. Wikipedia" Could be!

Stephen, I've seen that MDQ album before and was NEARLY seduced by the graphics. But it was in St Andrews and I couldn't quite bring myself to have a punt for a fiver, convinced I'd see it again. I did. Six months later in the same shop for the same price. Never encountered it again, curious if it's trad New Orleans parping or slightly more contemporary. Or... good.
                            I know where Juniper Green is Andrew but I didn't know if they'd took there name from it - they could just have easily come from Slough or something.

Juniper Green isn't as nice as it sounds by the way. I think Balerno is nicer.

Incidentally, the LP isn't on Discogs - does this make it proper raer?

I've had that MDQ LP too - it wasn't for me - too proper jazz.

Comment

Aye MDQ is pretty staid for the most part with some dubious song choices but I do like a couple of tracks and it was a quid so worth the risk.

Juniper Green were half dundonian (the guy was previously in a folk group called the Petermen who also released an LP apparently) and half English and were a married couple who did a bit of work in Glasgow I think.

Pop site only shows their second LP being sold once and this one not at all. The 45 is up on YouTube although I forget the song titles

Comment

Working...
                              X