Willy-Fogg's CSC 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy-Fogg's CSC 2017

I love the Charity Shop Challenge. So much so that I do it whenever I can. My last finds posted here were from a day of trawling the SW London charity shops. It was a CSC in all but name.

So, inspired by Dukowski83's recent CSC I decided to document my trip to Brighton and Hove on Saturday and make it an official Charity Shop Challenge. The problems was that I only had 4.5 hours from the time that my train arrived at Brighton Station to when I needed to be at a friend's birthday party at the cricket club in Hove. This meant that I rather neglected the documenting and focused on the 'getting to as many charity shops as possible in the shortest amount of time.'

I managed 43. Pretty chuffed with that.

Here they all are plus one (productive) back room shot.

I'd love to give you stories from each but I can't remember which is which. Many didn't have vinyl. Most did. Much of it was terrible, as is always the case.

It was a real exercise in restraint not too look at the other goods as I've recently been buying loads of all sorts stuff with the express purpose of reselling. So it was a pure vinyl day. Plus a handful of CDs. Moments of weakness after a run of three or four vinyl-free chazzas. Though I did get a Beck CD I didn't have before. He's pretty good Beck. I'd never really listened to him until a few months ago.

Anyway. The records.

Continuing the uninformative theme - I haven't had a chance to listen to many of these and some I don't intend to listen to.

I listened to the Aceyalone 12" below. It's good Beat Junkies produced hip-hop. I'll keep it even though I'll probably not listen to it again any time soon.

I never see that White Town so bought it in one of the first chazzas. A check on Discogs later showed that I probably won't hang on to it as it's not that great. Discogs also revealed that the 7" is worth keeping an eye out for.

Box of Dub is tatty but was £1.

---------------------

I haven't listened to any of this lot. I won't be listening to Bruce and Brubeck is unlikely to qualify for my racks either.

---------------------

Dakota Oak is seriously dull. Wanda's on Myrrh but is too much country and not enough gospel for my liking. I haven't listened to the other two but me and the missus are saving Betjeman cos we like 'im.

---------------------

Another White Town for Discogs. Jimmy a freebie for a friend. Or here, if anyone wants it(?)

Blue Boy for nostalgia. Stereo Cocktail as it looked interesting. Haven't listened yet.

---------------------

Julie Felix was because it's one that I don't (think) I own and I recently got her Clotho's Web LP and have been enjoying that.

I always buy Feliciano if cheap and clean. This one was 50p and will make one of my many friends who got a record player for Christmas very happy. Such a great LP.

I haven't listened to the Sgt Pepper LP yet but I usually enjoy this kind of parp-tastic fare.

Blackalicious - why not? I've got the LP and never really listen to that so why would I ever leave the 12" sampler?!?!

----------------------

Babylon by Bus is in excellent nick and is a keeper. Dada looked intriguing but on a brief needle drop last night it sounded a bit 'meh'. The Marilyn Monroe picture disc will probably join it in the out pile. Sly and Robbie 7" is fun.

---------------------

So there you have it. Loads of charity shops; a decent number of records; and very little insight.

Hurrah for the Charity Shop Challenge!

WF
    Last edited by Willy-Fogg; 14-02-2017, 11:59 AM. Reason: double posted a pic

looks like the same image 3 times at the top?

(took me a while to realise thought, I thought that looked an awful lot for one town)

edit - no, it's only 2 and 3 that are the same. That is a lot then!

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      looks like the same image 3 times at the top?

(took me a while to realise thought, I thought that looked an awful lot for one town)

edit - no, it's only 2 and 3 that are the same. That is a lot then!
      Yup, just spotted that. And have posted the missing pic with the back room from whence the Dub Box, Dada, Stereo Cocktail and others came.

WF

Comment

just spotted the "I managed 43" - so Brighton does have a crazy number then. Is 43 a record for a CSC?

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
          just spotted the "I managed 43" - so Brighton does have a crazy number then. Is 43 a record for a CSC?
          Nah, I did 50 back in 2009 or 2010.

WF

Comment

That looks like a reasonable haul. I don't know whether it stacks up from a CBA point of view. But you actually got some usable vinyl out of that excursion - I hardly bother with the chazzers here nowadays.

Are we to infer that Brighton has a plenty of prosperous people who can keep the chazzers stocked? Or is it demand driven (poor locals) - with the stock coming from outside? Or a bit of both?

Comment

The Blatchington Road/George Street nexus..... You were on my doorstep, so I recognise a couple of those LPs, I think....
              the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

43? Malmö is twice the size of Brighton and I can only think of about 10. We are not very charitable it seems.
                But we have about as many record shops.
                ------------------------------------------------------
                "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by admcc77 View Post
                  The Blatchington Road/George Street nexus..... You were on my doorstep, so I recognise a couple of those LPs, I think....
                  Damn, I could've brought that LP I've still got put to one side for you

I'll zap you a text about that in the next couple of days...

WF

Comment

43 is a good effort!! If I'd had more time I could have got up to about 32 in greater Dundee but missed out a couple of coastal towns just outside. Always impressed when folk manage to get 'backstage' so to say. I've been in the basement of a charity shop in Linlithgow which was interesting - loads of vinyl just sitting there. Got a few bits but would love to see what other shops are sitting on

Comment

Ha, as above, I recognise some of those as well. Looked at that Blackalicious 12" the other day but I decided to leave it, just for you!

Glad to see you didn't make it to a couple of my favourites (wipes sweat from brow).

Comment

The Peter knight orchestra plays Sgt pepper is brilliant mate.
                        I have it but with a different cover

Comment

I like the Dada lp. Good charity shop find I would say.
                          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboy View Post
                            Ha, as above, I recognise some of those as well. Looked at that Blackalicious 12" the other day but I decided to leave it, just for you!
                            Thanks for leaving it I really didn't need it and it was a whopping £1.99. Charmed by the shopkeeper was I.

Originally posted by jay View Post
                            The Peter knight orchestra plays Sgt pepper is brilliant mate.
                            I have it but with a different cover
                            Yay! That's what charity shop vinyl buying should be all about. Taking chances and being pleasantly surprised. Obviously having low expectations helps too

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                            I like the Dada lp. Good charity shop find I would say.
                            It's the first one due on the deck when I get home. I should point out that last night's needle drop was all of about 5 seconds. The kettle boiled quicker than expected so I filled my hot water bottle and cold-footed it to bed.

WF

Comment

Try the track She Walks Away. I enjoyed it so much I put it on a vg+ mix.
                              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
                              X