Discogs Wants List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogs Wants List

When i flog or buy something on Discogs, I sometimes look at the wants list of the buyer or seller.

Some people have thousands of wants, many of which are big ticket items.

My wants list is about 20 records that I think are either under the radar or I can buy for cheap. Even then I get pissed off by one seller constantly relisting one overpriced item I am after.

My question is, do the people with thousands of wants seriously want to buy them or are they an aide memoire?

If the former, why when I search their wants are there usually dozens of different records on there available for sale on the site which they haven't bought?

If the latter, how do they put up with the hundreds of wants list notifications they must keep getting?
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

I have a huge, bloated, excessive want list on Discogs. Looking through it is like going to a shop full of things you vaguely want but are always too expensive to actually buy. To be honest, that's what I like about it!

I long ago turned off any email notifications though.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
      My question is, do the people with thousands of wants seriously want to buy them or are they an aide memoire?
      Yes, want them, in the right condition and at the right price.

If the former, why when I search their wants are there usually dozens of different records on there available for sale on the site which they haven't bought?
      Can be issues of price or condition. Can also be a priority issue. There's only so much cash available, so one must prioritize purchases. For that reason, some "wants" may never actually get purchased.

If the latter, how do they put up with the hundreds of wants list notifications they must keep getting?
      It's usually one email a day with no more than 100 items in it. If I see stock from one of the notorious relisters, I just scan down quickly until the sellers name changes and pick up perusing the offers again. Yes, it would be better if I could block them, but it is what it is.
      https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

I have 279 apparently on my wants list. Yes - it's an aide memoire - but also I do wait for the best price to come around which does take a while - or never seems to happen. Or I'm waiting for the right grading, or right location. So there are often copies available that are wildly optimistically priced and often the other side of the world. I get a max of 20 notifications a day, usually around 10 - and set it up as one notification summary per day. Really isn't much of a pain, though I too am riled by those relistings!
        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

I have about 800. Some are there for "future" reference sake. Some may be interesting and some may be ones that I will never get a sniff at.
          sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Look away know Hayden, I have 6295, a lot of which I don't stand a chance of getting on there, price related. I'm a chancer on there with quite a few of them, you never know though, you've got to be in it to win it, I've come up trumps 2 or 3 times, so it's worth it as far as concerned, the more you have the greater the chances!
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

I'll be dead before then ... totally stupid I know but it passes time and I'm a chancer too like Craig !!
              Rockwell
              Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Which I find a bit shocking - how did that happen... Paid off a few times I guess.

Comment

I find it handy to have a few on the wants list so that if I'm after a record from a seller it'll flag up other things he has that I want, and I can combine postage and perhaps save a bit of money by killing two birds with one stone. Especially useful for 12"s and LPs because lots of people will post quite a few records for the same rate.
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Only 70.

I find it annoying that you can't put a max price and a geolocation, as are many who use Discogs, but it's their system.

I also found out recently that you can only make 1 offer on an item, until it's relisted, which again I find strange but some like it that way.
                    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                      I find it handy to have a few on the wants list so that if I'm after a record from a seller it'll flag up other things he has that I want, and I can combine postage and perhaps save a bit of money by killing two birds with one stone. Especially useful for 12"s and LPs because lots of people will post quite a few records for the same rate.
                      Seconded SK, this is the most useful aspect of the wants list feature for me.

4840 in mine

Comment

i only have 1 in my wants list!
                        I better fill it
                        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

A modest 368 in mine, also found a record that was in my wantlist in my collection recently - which was a nice surprise.
                          'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Comment

*blush*

In my defense as well as all the good reasons mentioned above I actually own many of the records in my want list, as I am keeping an eye on the going rate for them and whether I'd like to cash in...

Still a lot though...
                            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

The wantslist pays off when comparing various copies of something for sale and seeing that one dealer has a load more items you want. Great for adding bargain bin LPs to an order.

Comment

Working...
                              X