Discogs Wants List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by relkeel View Post
    Latest additions to the database are available to view on a rolling basis. A Canadian 80's chanson 45 was the latest addition when I looked a couple of minutes ago.
    Figures. So there are a lot of people who find it more worth the while to trawl them instead of just adding the release...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
      Thanks for all the replies gents!

It's been very interesting to hear how people utilise the wants list function.

I can understand the never ending wants strategy now, even though it's not for me as the amount of notifications would drive me up the wall.
      Well it's just one email a day mate ... but I tend to check at work when I'm bored or pretending to do orders for the catering department
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

I've stopped those one email a day notifications. I check my Wants List pretty much everyday and enjoy the pot luck. Used to enjoy looking at the US and Euro records but the political situation has deprived me of that pleasure and I just select Pound Sterling now. Democracy can answer to that.

I've just checked it now, and this was in it, which I have no memory of adding and no intention of buying

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I must have a couple of hundred on my wantlist, I do tend to add things I'm selling to it though so they're not all wants

And yes I dont bother with email notifications, any bargains only stay up for a very short time, more often than not just a couple of minutes

The only way is thats of course if you have that opportunity

Comment

I'm fairly hooked on Discogs, i only have around 3000 items in my wantlist just now, but i purge it fairly regularly. I check it about twice an hour while i'm awake and it tends to be my first and last check of the day. Stuff can be on it just to remind me to research a label or an artist or a producer, stuff can be on it because it might be related to a release that isn't on the database and i reckon that someone that has something close might also have the thing i actually want. Before i buy something i usually check that persons other things for sale and their wants list, but i suppose i also check what they've contributed and commented on. It's pretty amazing if you don't live somewhere with a record shop.

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
              sorry to hijack but I'd like to know how sometimes I list a rare record for the first time ie I create the release, and only an hour or two later it gets bought or I get emails on it. I'm wondering how people do this. can you say watch a label or a band or something, Its not like the record is gonna be on their wants because the release doesnt exist until i list it.
              Funnily enough I got this Discogs PM a few days after I added an obscure boogie record to the database

Hello xxxxx

I contact you for the records you have added on discogs some days ago ! Can you please tell me if you have for sale this

xxxxx
              it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
              take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

i added a second record.
                instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                  Funnily enough I got this Discogs PM a few days after I added an obscure boogie record to the database

Hello xxxxx

I contact you for the records you have added on discogs some days ago ! Can you please tell me if you have for sale this

xxxxx
                  Happened to me too when I added a 70s Sri lankan 45.
                  "Will you be selling this vinyl anytime soon? "

b/w
                  "I normally buy them in Sri Lanka through a friend typically $5-$10 for 7" depending on quality. This label and singer were very popular and mass-produced so you can still get them regularly. "
                  ------------------------------------------------------
                  "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                    I've stopped those one email a day notifications. I check my Wants List pretty much everyday and enjoy the pot luck. Used to enjoy looking at the US and Euro records but the political situation has deprived me of that pleasure and I just select Pound Sterling now. Democracy can answer to that.

I've just checked it now, and this was in it, which I have no memory of adding and no intention of buying

I think I have a copy somewhere, if I haven't already recharityshopped it. If it ever resurfaces, expect your Batphone / Catphone to light up.

I was hoping that the B side would be the cheesy hammond organ version of the Red Dwarf theme, but it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                      Happened to me too when I added a 70s Sri lankan 45.
                      "Will you be selling this vinyl anytime soon? "

b/w
                      "I normally buy them in Sri Lanka through a friend typically $5-$10 for 7" depending on quality. This label and singer were very popular and mass-produced so you can still get them regularly. "
                      Ha! Yes that's the usual routine. They'll enquire if you want to sell it and if yes try to convince you how common and cheap it is. Does anyone fall for this type of shtick?
                      it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                      take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Yes! Duane Dibbley makes a guest appearance in the Discogs thread.
                        See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

Comment

We are all Duane Dibbleys here I think! I am clearly in the Junior discogs category at a mere 774 items in my list and many of those I own, but just can't be bothered to remove from the wants list!

Just repeating what others have said really, waiting for the right price, location, condition, personal finance before biting. email is just once a day, but I sometimes check on demand just in case and if I feel particularly lucky / in need of a record fix.

In case you don't know it here is the link to see the latest listings matching your wants list https://www.discogs.com/sell/mywants
                          My Mixcloud

Comment

im sometimes getting 2 to 3 a day though.
                            Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Just noticed a guy in Chile with a mental wants tally - 73,800.
                              Can anyone top that?

Comment

I have a huge, bloated, excessive want list on Discogs. Looking through it is like going to a shop full of things you vaguely want but are always too expensive to actually buy. To be honest, that's what I like about it!

I long ago turned off any email notifications though.
                                This.

Also my want list has grown over the last 4 years, I spend a stupid amount of time reading about records, speaking to people about records and listening to music, 80% of my time is music, the other 20% is work.

I go through phases too, at one point it was bollywood, recently it was funk 45's, and now its late 60's psychedelia. I just listen to stuff and if I dig it I add it to the want list, I have hundreds of records that are under the radar and can be bought cheap but I have hundreds that are quite pricey.

My want list now has 5,553 records on it, I could possibly trim it down to 4,000. There's stuff I was listening to 4 years ago that I dont listen to now.

Comment

Working...
                                X