Haze/Off gassing terminiology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haze/Off gassing terminiology

Is there any easily understandable terminology around records which have been damaged by chemical reaction with plastic sleeves. had a problem with some I bought and the seller has poor English.

Mind you I think the problem is more fundamental than he doesn't understand as the sleeve was also torn and yet graded VG+.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

google translate

Comment

Exactly. In these situations I always ask myself 'what would 007 do?' and that's what he'd do right there.

Polymer transfer is ringing a memory bell????
      record licker

Comment

Clouding maybe? But to be honest I can see how he doesnt have a clue what you are talking about. Its not really that common is it?
        All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Oh and try the universal language of blurry cellphone pics of course.
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I used to think this was a bit of a myth but I've been looking through a 2.5K+ collection of 45s. They all been stored for a long time and tightly packed in those nasty rigid PVC sleeves with the serated edges. A lot of them have that hazing. It's weird too - the collection has been stored by label and some labels seem to be resistant to it and have no hazing despite being of an earlier vintage than some of the 45s that do. Horrible nasty sleeves anyhow. Cut my fingers to ribbons.
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

When I had a polymer reaction issue I took photos of the thin discoloration and made a video of the sound and I got a free knackered copy of Another Green World which I gave away as it's not a crackle friendly record, eh.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post

When I had a polymer reaction issue,
                I took photos of the thin discoloration,
                And made a video of the sound.....

(CHORUS)

And I got a free knackered copy of 'Another Green World'
                A free knackered copy of 'Another Green World'
                A free knackered copy of 'Another Green World'
                Which I gave away as it's not a crackle friendly record, eh?.
                Eine's new single 'Polymer Reaction Issue' - available from all good record shops....
                you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                  I used to think this was a bit of a myth but I've been looking through a 2.5K+ collection of 45s. They all been stored for a long time and tightly packed in those nasty rigid PVC sleeves with the serated edges. A lot of them have that hazing. It's weird too - the collection has been stored by label and some labels seem to be resistant to it and have no hazing despite being of an earlier vintage than some of the 45s that do. Horrible nasty sleeves anyhow. Cut my fingers to ribbons.
                  Anything tasty?

Comment

I've got a couple of 45s with that sleeve induced haze. It sounds too! I can't get my brain around how this works. Does a chemical leech through the paper sleeve and react with the vinyl? Is it a gas given off by the material of the sleeve? What is it all doing to me in that case?
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Plasticiser migration?
                      More common in PVC inner sleeves etching the vinyl surface. Often removable, sometimes not. My rule of thumb: The more valuable the record the less likely you are to remove it. Caused by storage at too high a temperature.

Comment

My question is how to word it concisely for feedback purposes.

We are way beyond sending pics or talking to the seller. I am going to leave bad feedback as he's after initially saying send it back he is just ignoring messages and has not given me an address.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Time for a neologism?

Settle on something here. Those of us who use other forums can announce it there. Alert other possible users.

Sometime soon VG+ gets mentioned as the place where it was coined.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                            My question is how to word it concisely for feedback purposes.

We are way beyond sending pics or talking to the seller. I am going to leave bad feedback as he's after initially saying send it back he is just ignoring messages and has not given me an address.
                            Open a claim and ebay/paypal will give you his address , if its ebay they'll also give you a prepaid return printout

Comment

For feedback purposes I would go with "damaged".
                              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Working...
                              X