Whatever happened to 'Jesus'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to 'Jesus'?

?..or more importantly, was he just one person, or a composite of several? I'm talking here about the white, long-haired Jesus I remember dancing topless at Hammersmith Odeon rock gigs.

I started going to rock 'gigs' from about the age of 14 and he, (if it was a singular 'he') was definitely at a few gigs I attended. I remember overhearing older hippes at concerts pointing him out with 'Oh yes, Jesus is here again' and he was always properly freaking out when everyone else was doing their sitting down and focussing on the music thing.

He seemed to be omnipresent at huge gigs like Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis etc, but also found his way to smaller ones, and I definitely saw him at Nils Lofgren supported by Tom Petty, so was definitely still freaking around 1977.

It's a long shot, and within a very narrow 'London gigs in the 1970s' demographic, but I thought I would ask anyway....
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

He used to come up to Harlow Town Park for some of the open air festivals. Saw him in the '80s a fair bit. There's the funny clip of him and Magic Michael on stage in the Glastonbury fayre film as well as the Cream Farewell concert and Rolling Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus.. Like you Ian, we used to see him a lot at concerts. His real name is Clive Jellett (could be Bill according to some), but Jesus fitted perfectly. He was a real friendly guy, off in his own world most of the time from what I remember.

Jesus gives his blessing to the early Sex Pistols

Illustrating your point Ian.

Gawd bless him. I hope he's still around.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

https://youtu.be/VXmm3tPXggE
      Last edited by Headless mermaid; 16-03-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Wow! So he WAS real! Thank you Treeboy...(and thank you Headless for a very nice Jesus tune!)

I read something a while back that referenced him, (and can't for the life of me remember what it was now) but it was of interest to me that he consistently defied rock concert 'norms' of behaviour regarding dancing. I know all hippies danced at concerts, open air festivals etc.etc..but the 'norm' he defied was that he'd be up on his feet from the second the gig started....
        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

And thanks again....lots about him here in the article and comments.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/jesus-jellett.html

Comment

Whoso danceth not, knoweth not what cometh to pass.
            Amen.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

"Such was Jesus’ ubiquity that the NME carried a full-page interview with him in 1975. He announced he was sick of overblown stadium rock and that his favourite record was Bachman Turner Overdrive’s You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet."
              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                And thanks again....lots about him here in the article and comments.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/jesus-jellett.html
                Wohhh!!!! reading this and especially seeing this picture has made me realise I've met him!!

I seem to remember it being Hyde Park, probably late 90s/early 00s. We had a conversation and he gave me some handbills. It's the writing on the following picture that has triggered this memory. I think I still have them in my collection of religious pamphlets. I'll dig them out and post here.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I like the small print at the end of that poster he's holding.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Had a look at the Rock Festivals site, and really liked the comment (something along the lines of) A fitting end would be if he died from a beer can to the back of the head! Always up for it, and always first up like you say. He used to come to some of the Mystery trips too. Knebworths....the more I think about it, he was bloody everywhere!
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                      I read something a while back that referenced him, (and can't for the life of me remember what it was now)
                      The guy gets a mention in John Lydon's biography where he remembers Jesus dancing with Stacia at Hawkwind's gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by collectionneur maniaque View Post
                        The guy gets a mention in John Lydon's biography where he remembers Jesus dancing with Stacia at Hawkwind's gigs.

Comment

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/goi...el-1201741277/

Comment

Here you go, from my collection of religious pamphlets... given to me in the early 2000s. Gives his real name 'William' and his birthday. Sounds like he got depressed for much of the 1990s and made it out again after hearing Oasis... this goes someway to answering your question, Ian

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                              Here you go, from my collection of religious pamphlets... given to me in the early 2000s. Gives his real name 'William' and his birthday. Sounds like he got depressed for much of the 1990s and made it out again after hearing Oasis... this goes someway to answering your question, Ian

Jesus
                              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Working...
                              X