Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General thoughts, recommendations and the overlooked/underappreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General thoughts, recommendations and the overlooked/underappreciated.

Plussers, whats good?

Have you ever got to a point with your collecting/buying, felt a bit empty and thought..."what next?", I think it's down to my collecting and buying habits, completion lists, searching for deeper harder breaks, finding a whole stack of records from the same place that are all on your want list with relative ease and....IDK.....buying too many records withing a short space of time (is it possible?).

SO.....I am trying to expand my tastes and move away from the typical sounds ive been searching for the past year as recently I have been on a glut of late 60's/early 70's funk 45's, I love funk and deep grooves and im starting to appreciate 45's a lot more than I used to but funk is funk and as cool and as hard as some of the grooves are, it can get a tad repetitive, I'm starting to appreciate earlier stuff like surf, rockabilly and R&B from the late 50's-early 60's so I think it's time to delve into some of the more weird and wonderful from an era I never paid much attention to, I think this is the relief I need to bring me back down to earth, I need something a bit different that from a time I always assumed to be shit because of elvis.

Also, what era/styles/genres have you avoided, whether it was on purpose because you had a preconceived notion or subconsciously thought it wasnt any good only to then later on in life go on to fully enjoy and appreciate?

I am after the cheap and cheerful

Example(s):

Originally posted by stylesforfree View Post
    Plussers, whats good?

Have you ever got to a point with your collecting/buying, felt a bit empty and thought..."what next?",

I hear ya, I think we all go through the same phase. I find myself always blindly pursuing the same genres and eventually ask " there must be other things"

Also, what era/styles/genres have you avoided, whether it was on purpose because you had a preconceived notion or subconsciously thought it wasnt any good only to then later on in life go on to fully enjoy and appreciate?

For no rational reason other than I run across a lot in my travels, I decided to start needle dropping thru, the previously detested, Country and Western. and yes there are acres of dross for every nugget, but there are lots of fun pieces to be had. I did a run of Xmas swapmixs based on old style C&W and truth be told I still enjoy them muchly.

I am after the cheap and cheerful

May I suggest you take a look at https://unclegil.blogspot.com/

Also I highly suggest anything by Jerry Cole

"Will our children be sacraficial lambs offered up to ease the fears of the multinational corporations like so many brainwashed media zombies? Petroleum and it's byproducts should not be a dependancy in a technology based society. Nothing lasts for ever and we cannot ask God for our gasoline!" - from Flowers and Birds by Rise Robots Rise

Comment

Nice one stoneface, checking out some jerry cole now and some duane eddie, funnily enough I have a jerry cole LP on my wants list. Currently digging Les Cooper & The Soul Rockers - Garbage Can.

Comment

Working...
      X