• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• record store day idiocy

for me, this takes the biscuit

TOTO AFRICA SHAPED PICTURE DISC 12"
    http://diskunion.net/portal/ct/list/0/26249

only 2700 yen ...

bet there'll be plenty left ini 2018 ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

More record store idiocy: theres something I'd like to get this year, and so I asked my local shop to order it for me, understanding that there were no guarantees, they can request it but may not get it, but then the guy says to me "we can't reserve it for you".

In other words, if it comes into the shop, he has to sell it to the first person who requests it. I was gobsmacked. This means it actually makes more sense for me NOT to order it, and try to get it mailorder from the dutch distributor the following day.

Is this normal RSD practice?

I've never been in a shop on RSD before and I've only ever purchased one RSD release.
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
        More record store idiocy: theres something I'd like to get this year, and so I asked my local shop to order it for me, understanding that there were no guarantees, they can request it but may not get it, but then the guy says to me "we can't reserve it for you".

In other words, if it comes into the shop, he has to sell it to the first person who requests it. I was gobsmacked. This means it actually makes more sense for me NOT to order it, and try to get it mailorder from the dutch distributor the following day.

I've never been in a shop on RSD before and I've only ever purchased one RSD release.
        It sounds to me like wishful thinking from the store owner. I'd try to get online directly from the distributor as you suggest. Then again perhaps the owner feels he should cater for the 'frequent' customers first (provided of course you are not a frequent customer)...
        Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

I think the stores here generally do RSD on a strict first-come-first-served basis.
          I guess the point is to get the buzz in the shop. Otherwise they would just be handing out reserved packages on the day. Some would possibly ask to get it a day or two later to avoid the crowds.
          And it would kind of defeat the purpose. Not that I'm that interested in RSD. It's a good idea on paper though.
          ------------------------------------------------------
          "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
            I think the stores here generally do RSD on a strict first-come-first-served basis.
            I guess the point is to get the buzz in the shop. Otherwise they would just be handing out reserved packages on the day. Some would possibly ask to get it a day or two later to avoid the crowds.
            And it would kind of defeat the purpose. Not that I'm that interested in RSD. It's a good idea on paper though.
            I understand and agree with that. I understand the organisers want to combat the perception of what RSD has become, a field day for profiteers who buy up all the hot items and then sell them on ebay. Thats not what RSD is for, and I guess I applaud any attempt to stamp this out.

But the shop had no plans to stock this particular title until I came along and requested it, and it's the only copy in their RSD order, and now they're telling me they'll sell it to the first person through the door who takes a shine to it. Which I suppose means if I want it, I have to be there when the shop opens. FFS.

Comment

Yeah totally against record store day rules, if the shop gets caught doing that they're bannned from any future RSDs , thats why people queue from the crack of dawn

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                Yeah totally against record store day rules, if the shop gets caught doing that they're bannned from any future RSDs , thats why people queue from the crack of dawn
                So it is true, it's not a mistake. Thanks for confirming that. I've never gotten involved before and didn't realise this. Obviously it was my mistake to order anything through the shop. I should've waited until the mailorder option was alive... I can't see myself getting up at the crack of dawn on my day off.

Comment

Same for a store in Germany I want(ed) to go to. They put a message on facebook offering people to request what they should order for them, only adding that theyll sell em to the first bloke who elbows his way to it. On top of that the two releases Im after are US only, so no need to go through that hassle..
                  Hip-Hop: https://soundcloud.com/beater-pan

Everything else: https://mixcloud.com/beater-pan

Instagram: http://instagram.com/beater_pan

Comment

Originally posted by Beater Pan View Post
                    Same for a store in Germany I want(ed) to go to. They put a message on facebook offering people to request what they should order for them, only adding that theyll sell em to the first bloke who elbows his way to it. On top of that the two releases Im after are US only, so no need to go through that hassle..
                    As it happens the item I'm after is also a US (only?) release, but a dutch distributor (Konkurrent) has it on their RSD list.

Comment

The only one I'm really interested in this year is the Grange Hill theme tune on dinner plate/sausage/fork shaped picture disc

North of the River Cole

Comment

I'll come clean once I have it in my hands.

Comment

I quite fancy the Fleur De Lys box but it will probably cost a million quid and I refuse to get involved in the scrum at record shops when I'm usually in them on my own. I think I'll just get the comp on Acid Jazz instead.
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

someone must be buying all these records. who are they aimed at? or are they just making them just to have stock?
                            theres loads of albums that could be reissued, loads of albums that are lost, or never came out on vinyl. shouldn't record shop day be about that?
                            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I've got my eye on the Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam 7" singles, (State of Love and Trust is one of my favourite songs) but like many I'll buy them online the following day....

Comment

Working...
                              X