• Show
Clear All

• BBC records story on the BBC

Quite interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/...d-d6ea9ab85f31
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
    Excellent piece.

"Many effects were created by "mistreating large white cabbages", as the sleeve notes explain. "The results were highly realistic and we even had some coleslaw left for dinner."

Comment

In 1977, they released the Death & Horror sound effects record on black vinyl that turned translucent blood red when held up to strong light.

WHAAAT?

This was one of the first records I ever bought and I never knew that.

"The Electronic Swamp" "Lunatics Laughing" and "The Mad Gorilla" were my favorites.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

It's not quite right, that - most BBC records turn red when held up to the light, a known quirk of records pressed by Pye. But they also did a proper blood-red vinyl pressing too as a limited edition, which I think is what the author was getting confused with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
          It's not quite right, that - most BBC records turn red when held up to the light, a known quirk of records pressed by Pye. .
          WHAAAAT?

I can't wait to get home now.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Interesting article. Where's the bloody music to accompany it, BBC?
            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
              It's not quite right, that - most BBC records turn red when held up to the light, a known quirk of records pressed by Pye. But they also did a proper blood-red vinyl pressing too as a limited edition, which I think is what the author was getting confused with.
              Was this not to do with the amount of black dye added to the vinyl?
              Were Pye 'skimping'?
              It's also a common feature of Transatlantic pressings, which were probably pressed by Pye now that I think about it.
              And Dawn pressings, of course, which was a Pye sublabel.
              And probably many more...
              Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Working...
              X