is it time to sell the OGs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it time to sell the OGs?

is it time to sell the OGs of classic rock and buy the reissues?
    the sound on some of these resent reissues is so much better. the SGT peppers 50th. a few years ago the Hendrix Axis mono remaster is the nicest sounding record ive ever owned. Last years Pink Floyd remasters on Pink Floyd Records...
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

No, irrelevant of the sound quality, unless there was a noted fault on the 1st press. an original is a piece of art and history, no comparison

And re Hendrix Electric Ladyland on Track sounds 10 times better than any of the Polydor reissues

Comment

also the Rainbow Bridge remaster sounds much better.
      though, yeah it is nice to have the original..
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

(maybe time to sell off the 70s represses)
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Have to say, I'm thinking the same thing of selling off the Mojo OG's (i.e. the ones I keep for the sake of having OG's rather than the ones I'm actively playing). I think the interest in vinyl is peaking (or going to peak quite soon) and it's all coming down to condition rather than sound quality. Yes, there's some poor 'old digital remastering on a disc' LP's, but there's also some good reissues these days so difficult to make the call.

Just ordered the Terry Riley 'Persian' reissue which I have high hopes for but am paying what I would typically pay for an OG. That's when I question whether I should wait until I see it out in the wild but finding a clean copy of that one has eluded me for years!
          Light surface marks, sleeve is torn near centre of opening (due to rough removal of disk by a moron)

Comment

i subscribed to the deagostini Beatles collection (so mojo) as they have been arriving ive been selling off my old Beatles.
            i bought a couple of the new Pink floyds and sold my old boot sale versions i found in the 80s. eyeing up the first 3 Zeppelins... basically ive ran out of music to look for so upgrading ones i already have.
            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

if you treasure them for something other than playing them then keep em.
              Otherwise flippler flipper!
              Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                And re Hendrix Electric Ladyland on Track sounds 10 times better than any of the Polydor reissues
                German Polydor is very good.
                All the Wolpertingers

Comment

im going to have to re listen. ive only listened to the ripped cds for so long i cant remember if the records sound different
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Could you get back to us on the quality of the Terry Riley please Papa? Ta.

Comment

Will do, although it could be a week or so before I get it

Paul-K - for a cheaper option on the Led Zep, I'd recommend the French OG's (ones with 'super groups' or 'pop music' stickers). Think they're Barclay pressings but they've got that bold punchy sound that works for early Zeppelin. Similarly the debut Hendrix Barclay repress of the mono is IMHO better than the UK OG:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/921514?ev=rb
                      Light surface marks, sleeve is torn near centre of opening (due to rough removal of disk by a moron)

Comment

There are certain records I would sell and certain ones I wouldn't.... E.g. I would never sell my original pressings of Soft Machine - Volume Two, The Electric Prunes - Release Of An Oath or Ultimate Spinach - Behold & See but if the likes of The Soul Searchers - We The People or Eddy Senay - Step By Step were to dramatically increase in value I would sell them and buy the reissues, same goes for a lot of my funk and soul in fact.

Comment

Working...
                        X