Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean if there is more than one LP issue in a year in a country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 5 different UmmaGummas sitting on the shelf. It's a nightmare to identify them. Dark Side I don' even bother anymore.
    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Discogs had 2 different 1969 versions of Gal Costa-Gal for a while. One being significantly cheaper than the other. They have since been merged.
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by RockerFrank View Post
        I wouldn't worry about the US pressings, since the European pressings are often better and more consistent in quality, especially the UK, Germany, the Netherlands.
        British pressings of US releases are often far superior, for example the British Esquire pressings of US Prestige releases - my Red Garland "Manteca" on Esquire sounds fabulous:

and the UK United Artists soundtrack pressings are better that their US equivalents, like on the Brit press of the "how to murder your wife" OST:

Comment

Interesting. Now I'd have thunk it would have to be the "unspoilt" original...

It would be beneficial to listen to the different issues - however, I don't know of any source of digital tracks (neither legal nor illegal) that would actually identify and distinguish the exact sources.
          Easy Sounds channel
          Easy Sounds blog

Comment

And, of course, any Jamaican 1st pressing will undoubtedly sound better when it gets to being pressed in another country.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
              And, of course, any Jamaican 1st pressing will undoubtedly sound better when it gets to being pressed in another country.
              Not quite all SK... Some of my JA purchases backintheday looked and sounded pristine - these 2 spring to mind:

Some of the Rockers pressing were terrible though - like this one where the Daddy Kool issue in the UK came in very handy:

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                same kind of thing with Electric Ladyland. same cat number but very first press had blue text inside the sleeve... does it change the music. nope.

This is not a fact I believe.

https://recordmecca.com/news/jimi-he...lue-type-hype/

Copies with white lettering have been bought on the first day of release.

I have a copy where side A is paired with side B, and side C is paired with D (instead of A paired with C and B paired with C)

Clearly new labels where pasted over older ones ....

So obviously a missprint; so this might be the really really first press, or not ...

With these things, I guess no one really knows. One might claim to know, put it on discogs and ask 1000 € for it ...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K
                  same kind of thing with Electric Ladyland. same cat number but very first press had blue text inside the sleeve... does it change the music. nope.
                  Cat numbers don't mean anything. Some labels use the same cat numbers for all reissues.

These three from Red Bird all have the same cat number but different songlists, release years spanning from 1965 to 2001.
                  https://www.discogs.com/The-Shangri-...elease/2138911
                  https://www.discogs.com/The-Shangri-...elease/4663951
                  https://www.discogs.com/The-Shangri-...elease/1409722
                  Find yourself a rainbow, a song a day and you won't grow old.

Comment

Working...
                  X