Limelight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limelight

Limelight was a subsidary of Mercury label.
    Its known mainly for the modern jazz, but Wallace thinks it turned into a very interesting label at the end (during the pink/limegreen logo period of late 60s - also the pink/green label was 70/80s reissues).
    The more interesting of the pink/green Limelight lps covered psyche (Mecki Mark Men), electronic & exptal (Ruth White "Flowers of Evil" & "Seven Trumps...", Beaver & Krause), ethnic (Wallace just got VA "Santur,Tunbuk & Tar: music of Iran") and apparently some funk as well.

Can anyone comment on these:

Pierre Henry "Le Voyage"
    "Variations for Door and Sigh"
    "Mass for Today"

VA "Response: electronic music of Norway"

Bergt Humbrus "Constellations and Interferences"
    Oh yeah - Limelight also had the wonderful Don Robertson "Dawn" lp.

Wallace is a very wise man.
    ive always wanted to do a 'limelight compilation' but it all belongs to universal.

BUT... the two """"INCREDIBLE""""" albums yu have missed out are...

(the best psych LP of ALL TIME....) CAULDREN by FIFTY FOOT HOSE

and

the amaYZZING 'spleen' by 'sound of feeling' (... a record in a league of its own)

(ive got a 'limelight' badge somewhere. PM me and i'll send it to ya.)
    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

?!

Wallace and Doko Eno both sadly neglected Melvin Jackson's "Funky Skull" which is pretty damn funky / quirky, as Melv feeds his bass through a variety of filters and amps. The author of this post has also witnessed a 7" pressing of a single from said LP, titled "Funky Skull - Pts. 1 & 2" which he believes to be fairly enjoyable.

Reissue is fairly easy to track down (dustygroove used to do it) - an more importantly, cheap.

Viva Chiba also chastises Doko Eno for not spelling Cauldron correctly.

But wishes he owned a copy of aforementioned Fifty Foot Hose LP because what he has heard of it sounds rather mindfuckingly great.

Pierre Henry - "Le Voyage", Viva Chiba thinks (isn't writing in the third person slightly delusional??) is interesting music conrete type stuff - he recalls owning the 1st volume on Mercury (?), US pressing. However it ain't at all funky. He believes it to be based on the Tibetan "Mass for the Dead". . . the whole shebang that Tim Leary and his acid head associated were endorsing at the tail end of that tumultuous decade.

By doing a label search on GEMM for "Limelight", Viva Chiba has noted a variety of analogue vinyl recordings which dedicated readers of this forum may find of interest:

GEMM LINK

The author of this post has also listened to the album denoted below, but did not consider it to be worthy of purchase:

Electronic Concept Orchestra - Moog Groove.

Comment

The Electronic Concept LPs are okay in that easy-moog style bag, imho, and can be picked up cheap

The Cannonball Adderley LP I've always been attracted to just because of it's curious artwork. Although I've never actually heard it and as it's from the early part of the sixties i suspect it's a bit too trad for my unrefined tastes.

Roland Kirk is considered to be a classic (although I ain't got it so dunno).

Sound of Feeling & 50 Foot Hose are definitely the prime releases. Still gotta trackdown the Melvin Jackson LP.

Sound Of Feeling also had a 45 issue (Along Came Sam) - i wonder if 50 Foot Hose were graced with the same?

Either way, a label worthy of a fuller discog I reckon

Comment

Limelight

Sound of Feeling "Spleen"?
          Never heard of it.
          Please lay a description on the Prince of Eagles.
          Is it motherjumping good psyche???

Comment

Originally posted by wallace
            Sound of Feeling "Spleen"?
            Never heard of it.
            Please lay a description on the Prince of Eagles.
            Is it motherjumping good psyche???
            their track "along came sam" is amazing.. been on loadsa mixtapes down the years, you'll probably recognise it when you hear it. crazy voices and singing, proper psyche groove and lottsa weird gear going on in the mix - strong album throughout.

there's a 're-issue' listed on dustygroove so it should be easy to track down

go seek. you're in for a proper treat
            Last edited by vinylism; 05-04-2005, 10:10 PM. Reason: here's a picture!

Comment

Theres the KId baltan and tom disslevelt lp that looks good I have not heard it though. Anyone have info on that, called the something about silver moons, my memory fails me. electronic pop jazz thing

I picked up the Response lp a while ago Its pretty straight forward classical avant garde, if you know what I mean, very noisy (in noise/music way, actual lp is quite quiet) One of my favourite Sleeves though.

I gotta check out that ruth white lp, well I gotta check em all out actually
              more records on my want list, less money in my pocket. Oh well
              Earfuzz

Comment

Damn boneys a mind reader! Damn Ive wanted this record for eons.

Just checked - That ' Ruth White' lp sounds off the chain. Also is Paul Bley's 'Mr. Joy' any cop. oooh look at me going into google overdrive.
                Last edited by sermad; 05-04-2005, 10:48 PM.
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I've got a Paul Bley on Limelight - OK but weak sauce compared to the Bley/Peacocks.
                  Mecki Mark Men, Sound of Feeling, Melvin Jackson, Fifty Foot Hose all present and correct.
                  BUT - what got a UK release? Fifty Foot Hose, but anything else?
                  We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I got Melvin Jackson - top funky jazz with guitar effects connected to a string bass, I love it!
                    Mecki Mark Men - Swedish psych with the drummer from Träd, Gräs och Stenar - that's great too! At least their first two albums...

The Ruth White 7 trumps... is a bit overrated IMO, but it's a good avant-electronic work that sounds very modern for it's time. Can't say I pull it out of my shelf half as often as Melvin Jackson, Mecki Mark Men or Fifty foot Hose though...

The correct name on the Swedish electronics pioneer should be Bengt Hambreus - I had no idea he was released on Limelight. Keep in mind - all I've heard by him is very ARTY!! Stay away from him unless John Cage/Stockhausen-type stuff is something you like. I only have one album 'cuz I found it cheap but it didn't exactly leave me wanting more as I have a bit of a hard time with music that goes: "bleep-bloop, 5 seconds of silence, horn blasts, 5 seconds of silence, weird humming, bleep bloop, horn blasts, silence, bleeeeeeep..."
                    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb
                      "bleep-bloop, 5 seconds of silence, horn blasts, 5 seconds of silence, weird humming, bleep bloop, horn blasts, silence, bleeeeeeep..."
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba
                        Wallace and Doko Eno both sadly neglected Melvin Jackson's "Funky Skull" which is pretty damn funky / quirky, as Melv feeds his bass through a variety of filters and amps. The author of this post has also witnessed a 7" pressing of a single from said LP, titled "Funky Skull - Pts. 1 & 2" which he believes to be fairly enjoyable.
                        I can recommend Melvin Jackson and this album. Melvin spent a part of his career as a companero of the great Eddie Harris, anything with a Jackson / Harris lineup shouldn't be missed.
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

(not) funky skull

Christ!!
                          I bought melvin jackson's funky skull solely for the reason of sound of feeling guest vocals. Thought the lp was really really average but i'll dig it out again.

Comment

The Les McCann LP on Limelight is great.
                            Top northern / jazz vocal tune "Sad Little Girl" as well as a nice Compared to What & a Donovan cover & some other stuff.
                            Infact there are two, the other one ha Hey Leroy & and some other tasty bits, Ill dig 'em out later.

Go a double of Spleen up at the moment, I have a nice yellow demo of it.
                            You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

?!

I have a copy of Ruth White's "Flowers of Evil". . I also had a spare for ages. . .(!).

It's pretty good. Verrrrrrrrrry sinister. Eeerie music concret clanking whilst Ruthie reels off some creepy/surreal/morbid Baudelaire poems through some kinda filter.

Definitely more exciting than Pierre Henry's "Le Voyage".

If I ever make it to one of these VV rendez-vous I could indeed bring aforementioned platter to satiate the curiosity of the multitude.

Not sure it's going to work on the dancefloor though. . . (!).

NB I paid about 65 quid (ouch!) for my Melvin Jackson, and was a bit disappointed. . . yanked it out of the pile the other day and flicked through it. .. it's probably overpriced by some but is a pretty solid album. The intro on "Funky Doo" is great. . .
                              Last edited by Viva Chiba; 06-04-2005, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X