James Last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Last

what james last records are really worth looking for? that man gave out so many albums with so much crap on it that i just can't buy all of them just to throw them away 5 minutes later!
    i know, there is the classic hair lp, the "well kept secret" with the great summertime version. i heard something that "voodoo party" is quiet nice aswell...maybe beach party 2 with a drum break (but actually i'm more into nice music than drumbreaks...)
    anyone has some recommendations?
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Check out the main Vinyl Vulture site, Lords Of Lounge, Volume 1. It's all there.
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
      Check out the main Vinyl Vulture site, Lords Of Lounge, Volume 1. It's all there.
      that was easy! thanks

Comment

edit - beaten to it as usual... i was guessing the Last pages weren't accessible at the moment, hence the question...

Beach Party 3 has the break. Beach Party 1 has the batucada track 'Happy Brasilia'. otherwise just look out for the usual covers. the early Non-stop Dancing LPs (like '69 and '70) have good bits - don't be put off by the Medleys - the band normally stops between the tracks, and they have that 'party in the studio' vibe.

Voodoo Party is excellent, start to finish IMO, apart from the two Last-penned tracks of silliness (although they have their admirers).
        Last edited by bongolia; 07-04-2005, 10:16 AM.

Comment

James Last Live (Selections From The World Tour Programme) has a couple of nice bits and bobs - the bit where he introduces the band members is the best!

'Bass Guitar - Benny Bendorff!'

Comment

Check the thread I bumped...
            We recently had a looong mr Last discussion...
            "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
            and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

hey effi,
              a few days ago i saw the "voodoo party" album at 16 tons/zürich for 20 swiss bucks!
              can you explain to me what this word means?

www.myspace.com/deenoakathedustybutton

Comment

Originally posted by deeno
                hey effi,
                a few days ago i saw the "voodoo party" album at 16 tons/zürich for 20 swiss bucks!
                I saw it in Dublin for 12 Euros this week too. Words out on this one I'm afraid, though there's probbaly enough copies still out there in the hands of retailers who assume all James Last is pants.
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

i paid about 12 quid for my copy from a dealer a few years back - in pre-VV days. first copy i'd ever seen, and don't regret it one bit. have paid more for worse records and less for better ones - it's all swings and roundabouts, innit!

never seen one in charity since (well, one trashed one), but seen a few times on ebay for a fiver or so, so don't feel bad about it...

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia
                    i paid about 12 quid for my copy from a dealer a few years back - in pre-VV days. first copy i'd ever seen, and don't regret it one bit. have paid more for worse records and less for better ones - it's all swings and roundabouts, innit!

never seen one in charity since (well, one trashed one), but seen a few times on ebay for a fiver or so, so don't feel bad about it...
                    Mine came from the 'Bay (cheers Matt) for about a tenner in a lot with 9 other forgettable Lasties (although it did include a box set with a poster of the man ). It was another two or three years before I ever found one in the wild. As Bongolia sez - you could probably pick it up cheaper but I've definitely paid more for less. The UK sleeve with the mask is a definite wall piece.

And make sure the James Last Live has the booklet in the middle of the gatefold. I want to be the driver of the James Last truck!
                    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                      Mine came from the 'Bay (cheers Matt) for about a tenner in a lot with 9 other forgettable Lasties (although it did include a box set with a poster of the man ). It was another two or three years before I ever found one in the wild. As Bongolia sez - you could probably pick it up cheaper but I've definitely paid more for less. The UK sleeve with the mask is a definite wall piece.

And make sure the James Last Live has the booklet in the middle of the gatefold. I want to be the driver of the James Last truck!
                      i had heard about Inner City Blues, probably on the Crates list, saw it at a fair for 15 quid. the dealer says Inner City Blues is ok, but the Sly Stone covers are even better, have a listen, and find i really like pretty much the whole thing, and so buy it... i reckon it's is a better fake-easy-afro listen than Mandingo (for example), and those LPs were going for crazy money at one point (the Mandingo's are still good tho!)

Comment

Originally posted by deeno
                        hey effi,
                        great, i will check it out next monday. haven't been there for a long time...i only did my charity&fleamarket tours lately and dropped by in the great bikini a couple of times....
                        thanks deeno (by the way, got your e-mail cd recommendation today, i certainly will check out that one too but you aren't writing for the "loop" magazine? just reminded me a bit of those reviews...nice!

Comment

Don't forget 'Hair' and 'Well Kept Secret' as well, though WKS is a bit thin on the ground. Was it only released in the US? Thanks to some judicious trades I managed to bag me one . I still haven't told my mates yet ... they just wouldn't understand.
                          Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

I know it was mentioned in the VV article but Non-Stop Dancing '73 (also known as Non-Stop Dancing 14) has a cracker of an original Moog number called 'Nothing' tucked in after Shaft. It's my favourite Last track (well, half a track).

Humba humba!
                            Jamie
                            https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

"Voodoo Party" seems to be the scarcest one in my experience, I only just picked it up about two weeks ago and I'd been on the lookout for maybe three years now. "Well Kept Secret" seems to turn up a lot though.

In the same pile as "Voodoo Party" was his 1975 "Salute to the Great Canadian Songwriters", another I'd never seen previously. Has a version of "One Fine Morning" on it. The production and arrangements on this LP are pretty good but vocals are terrible, I decided it wasn't worth the $3 asked. Nevertheless you can tell he was still on that "Well Kept Secret" buzz.

I think there are still James Last secrets to be discovered.... has anyone out there properly trawled through all the [...]-A-Go-Go records yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X