Stan butcher???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan butcher???

Picked a Stan Butcher & His Birds & Brass record yesterday thinking it was Birds 'N' Brass only to be disappointed...

Be warned diggers...

Anyone else been duped by this / or has he done anything note worthy?

P
    "I've learned from my mistakes......& Hopefully I Can repeat them exactly"

Confession time....

Yep, about 3-4 years ago I got suckered by the same series of albums... D'oh !

Saying that, I'm sure a couple of Vultures have posted onto the V V Board that they've found Stan Butcher "Birds n Brass" LP's with half-decent tracks on... someone might be able to remind me...

... Calling all the Hero's ?  
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

...Shooting up the town boys?

Not I. Might've been Matt but if he has a killer Stan Butcher it's passed me by...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I had two of those blighters, one was a golden hour thing and one was on Fontana - big band jazz stuff but it has loads of scat on it so they sell very well on the 'bay at the moment
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ 10 June 2003,13:47)]Not I. Might've been Matt but if he has a killer Stan Butcher it's passed me by...
          Well, it's not a killer, but there is a nice Stan Butcher 'Spinning Wheel' no ?
          Matt Hero

Comment

They're pretty good if you like a bit of middle 60s parp jazz & scat: I quite enjoyed the 'Birds & Brass In Disneyland' & 'Big Band Blowout' LPs (Blowout' features players like Don Lusher, & others from that UK Big Band Funk scene) the only two I've found, but they're very different from the *other* B&B... Earlier, too - never worked out if there's any actual link, or just a coincidental use of the same name. Stan Butcher is always on CBS (with a couple on Studio 2), the others on Rediffuson, so I guess that's how you know which you're getting. Plus the Stan Butcher ones always specify Stan Butcher as leader... Someone posted awhile back that some later Stan Butcher stuff gets much fruitier, but can't remember the exact references...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]...Shooting up the town boys?

hahahahaha !

Cheers Rich, I wondered if you'd pick up on that 80's lyrical quotation !

hahahahaha !

(  you can tell I'm having a shite day at work, coz that's really cheered me up..!  )
              If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Okay Sie, try this visual reference then. And I'm awarding myself bonus points for the use of Cover Up in the thread about James Trouble, although that's not the complete answer...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Just to clear up any confusion, Stan Butcher created the Birds and Brass concept in the late sixties, those albums were recorded by Morgan Music (drummer Barry's company) and released on CBS in their Super Stereo series. He also did the 'Swing Like A B......' LP on CBS, which features a certain Barbara Moore on scat vocals (she contributes a couple of compositions too). The Golden Hour compilation is likewise Butcher, licensed out from Morgan again.

Some time later, Keith Roberts pinched the idea and did two LPs for Rediffusion - these are the funky ones (and I don't have either of them.... ) To the best of my knowledge there's no connection between the two, apart from the idea. Unless of course, you know different......

Comment

Working...
                  X