Rhoda Scott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhoda Scott

Wallace was amazed how fine the 2lp set (Barklay, France) "LIVE AT CLUB ST. GERMAINE" is.
    Just the Barefoot Princess (she plays Hammond b3 barefoot on the pedals), an excellent drummer and a sax player (on some tracks). The tracks without the sax, sound almost as good as the Swede H&K lps!

Rhoda is a jazz organist who has been acclaimed by Rubenstein. Born in US, she has lived in France since '68.

Her output is rather large and Wallace would like to know if any other titles are recommended.

Going by the tracklists, many of the lps appear to be very dodgy -full of lame covers like Watermelon Man and Aquarius, but perhaps these two are recommended?:
    "Mach II"
    "Live at Olympia '71"

"St Germaine" does have covers in addition to her own compositions, but they are pretty good:
    Also Sprach Zarathrustra (she goes away from the origional Strauss into a Deodadoish tangent)

WAR'S "Slipping in the Darkness" is given a real long treatment.

Unfortunately there is also a Stevie Wonder cover, that would have best been avoided.

So then, can anyone recommend Wallace other titles by her? (Please, no la-la songs!)

Or any Euro instrumental jazz organist lps in general!! (Preferably sounding less jazzy and more proggy.)

One can only live in hope.

WADE IN THE WATER & THANKYOUFALLETIN ME ARE BOTH GOOD TUNES, OFF A LIVE LP.
    I will dig it out & post the name, think it may be Live at Olympia.
    Wade in the Water is wicked come to think of it.
    Her LP on UK Major Minor is a bit tame though.
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Erwin Lehn on the Euro organist front.
      boney
      You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Only got the one LP by Rhoda Scott and that is Rhoda Scott at the hammond organ (great title) on Barclay/Major Minor but it aint that great. Aquarius is ok but the rest is kind of Jazz Ham (lots of show tunes - people, fiddler on the roof etc), just rhoda and a drummer. Not very proggy im affraid
        Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
        www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
        www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

i've also only got one LP - 'Take a Ladder', and the first two tracks pretty good (one is a nice version of 'Moanin')

also, not heard her versions, but i wouldn't describe Watermelon Man or Age of Aquarius as 'dodgy covers'. both are VV standards, and two titles i always keep an eye out for...
          Last edited by bongolia; 12-04-2005, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Molybdenum is the one you need. Out there organified shizzla. And there just so happens to be...............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
            it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

Working...
            X