groovin' with jesus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• groovin' with jesus...

i know this topic has been touched on before but...

i picked up two copies of "dave & judy" - mackenzie/cook (emi) and i was really feelin a couple of tracks ("nobody wants to know" and "dreams")... they sounded like "julie driscoll & the trinity" to me!

ive also got judy macenzie "judy" (key) ("new song" etc) which is great also!

i was wondering what stuff to look out for by her, or what to check for on the key label, because i picked up a copy of graham kendrick "footprints on the sea" and it stinks...

cheers!
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Here you go, son.

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3686

Needless to say, I haven't found anything else on Key since then
    It ain't shakey

Comment

Religious groovyness, I love this stuff.

I've stumbled accross some stuff by Larry Norman which is worth looking out for cheap... 'I'm only visiting this planet springs to mind' but there are others... some I think on key.

Found in the not to distant past an album called Parable by White Light (although it may be, White light by Parable). The only way to descibe it is, think The Who, doing Tommy... now think less accomplished musicians having a go at the prodigal son rock opera style...

I'd appreciate info on this if anyone has it... rare? expensive?

Others that spring to mind are...

Parchment - one album is great the next one i found was a disapointment.
      Alethians
      I'll get a list together post it up here when I can...

I also jealously noted somewhere here on the forum, I think in the summer swap cd sticky or somewhere, someones put an Xian comp together...

Infuriating to know i've missed out on this... I'm so up for the next CD swap...
      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers

i picked up two copies of "dave & judy" - mackenzie/cook (emi) and i was really feelin a couple of tracks ("nobody wants to know" and "dreams")... they sounded like "julie driscoll & the trinity" to me!
        Yep, looking forward to taking that off your hands this Friday, I did get you the Judy S/T afterall

Bought 3 Light LP's this month, 2 great, 1 not so good but definitely worth picking up that label.

Anyone else got that Life LP presented by The Good News Singers? Think it was reviewed on a chart on here and was also pictured in GrandSlam (RIP) magazine. Two tracks were funky with beats. Unfortunately the US copy I got sounds exactly what they look like on the cover. A bunch of happy, clappy white middle class christians still getting to grips with their instruments ie no funk whatsoever It has a different cover to the one reviewed on here but has the same two track titles that were the funky numbers. Anyone got both versions of the LP?
        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

As Fuz says earlier there are a few great tracks by Larry Norman

The Upon this Rock Lp by Mr Norman has quite a few highlights for me...Sweet Sweet song of Salvation is a YaDig favourite and the lyrics for Forget your Hexagram are absolute class...in fact as anyone who owns this Lp on KEY will attest to (or in fact most of the albums on KEY) some of the lyrics, though unintentionally hilarious, are VERY VERY frightening in a fundamentalist burn all infidels type of way

I do like a right old religious rave up though....
          Last edited by Shiftless When Idle; 13-04-2005, 11:23 PM.
          Country be dyin like poor people do
          Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz
            Religious groovyness, I love this stuff.

I'll get a list together post it up here when I can...
            Some stuff to keep an eye out for in the charity's, as i've found all these there. I've tried to avoid listing gospel stuff as its a gimme, and not all below is funky... but all a definate cut abve the usual religious records that you see.

OST to Privilege, Paul Jones & George Bean group - Great beat version of 'Onward Xian soldiers'

Liberation Suite - Hairy mid 70's Xian rock folk psyche

First Peace - Bobby Lance on Cottillion, features the talents of Eddie Hinton , King Curtis, Hubert Laws, Richard TeeRoger Hawkins and others, Singer songwriter country funk with a Xian influence

Presence- S/T British Folky stuff

Well Seasoned - The Joy Strings, Low Key Beat With some nice melodies & tunes, also some versions of hymns, still worth a listen though

Light up the fire - Parchment, highly recommended UK folk funk, beautiful voices and tunes... other albums dispointing so far...

Peace on Earth - The Freshmen, Folk, choir, prog stuff, quite overblown, but in a good way if memory serves...

RSVP - The Alethians, on Myrrh, Folky dreamy songs, i love it, might not be everyones cuppa...

Sing a new song - The Settlers, gotta love there version of it's me o lord, cover of nowhere man

Parable - White light, got a feeling i got lucky here and this might be rare but it's like a religious Who do the prodigal son rock/psyche poera and some originals. Hardly need to to mention this record as i'm sure anyone on this forum who pick this up if they saw it, great cover art...

The Lives we Share - Dust and Ashes, US country folk xian gospel rock with some good moments

In Love - the medical mission sisters, Nuns singing about love... really. I defy a vulture to pass on this concept... interesting music but no funk...

Liberated Wailing Wall Favourites - Jews for Jesus, for shear weirdness

Soulfully - Andre Crouch & the disciples, on light, gospel but has great moments

Fill you head with - The Crimson Bridge, ultimately disapoints but a great middle eight on better times

Only visiting this planet - Larry Norman, on Verve, this guy seams to have made a living from re writing homesick subtereanian blues, but it's good. There are other albums to that have there moments but i only have them on tape and not to hand, but something about 'the garden' is in my memory.

Speard a little love around - Danny lee and the children of truth, revolution is the one for me but there are other moments and not just on this album.

We're not going back - Key of David, for the version of babylon and the bongo breakdown that comes out of nowhere on 'the lord is my light'

You do see comps of these religious labels, I never pass them up but are mostly forgetable...

Anything by The swan silvertones, staples singers, the golden gate quartet, the dixie hummingbirds, and everyone should have a copy of 'Louis (Armstrong) and the good book'
            In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz
              I also jealously noted somewhere here on the forum, I think in the summer swap cd sticky or somewhere, someones put an Xian comp together...
              That'd be me then ;-)

It's good to finally have an excuse for hording all those religious albums. PM me and I can send you a copy or maybe upload an mp3 stream or something.

I think religious records are possibly my most favourite thing to collect as they are so unpredictable (whilst still being somewhat predictable).

Jamie.
              https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

.. Does anyone fancy writing a piece on these LP's for the main Vinyl Vulture website ??? there's a lot of knowledge being shared here and it would be good to capture it...

Sergio...? S.B.C.Fuzz...?
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I think the best way to pool collective knowledge on this sort of topic would be to have different people providing reviews of different records.

There are plenty of other subjects on which the combined VV knowledge is formidable, but where any one individual is unlikely to have a comprehensive collection (or, perhaps, time to write a whole article).

I would be happy to act as coordinator/editor on this one (but equally happy to provide a few reviews to a different editor).
                  ... and I can suggest a few others (mainly cheese-tastic), for example something pulling together the frequent "dodgy singers" thread (see Kinky Chris, I have adopted your terminology) or something on grooviness masquerading as Tijuana cash-in projects.
                  Last edited by dr kraken; 14-04-2005, 11:29 AM.
                  It ain't shakey

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Paradise
                    That'd be me then ;-)

It's good to finally have an excuse for hording all those religious albums. PM me and I can send you a copy or maybe upload an mp3 stream or something.

I think religious records are possibly my most favourite thing to collect as they are so unpredictable (whilst still being somewhat predictable).

Jamie.
                    i would really like to hear that one to! it's that kind of sound i really like but never come across. it's mostly an american thing i think...
                    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

I did this mix ages ago but its still on the web:

http://www.lazybird.org/sound/FreakOutJesus.asp
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record
                        Yep, looking forward to taking that off your hands this Friday, I did get you the Judy S/T afterall
                        nige its worth the wait. like t la rock would say "its yours"

thanks for the info y'all! now to find them....
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by dr kraken
                          I think the best way to pool collective knowledge on this sort of topic would be to have different people providing reviews of different records.

I would be happy to act as coordinator/editor on this one (but equally happy to provide a few reviews to a different editor).
                          Top offer from Dr K - I'll start a new topic in the "natter about the V V Site" section of the forum later today...
                          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I can happily contribute to the article with a few recomendations. Will it be strictl xian or will stuff like Golden Avatar/Bleu Aquarius get a look in?

Though I have been selling some of the crapper folk-mass type stuff on ebay. Some of them sell and the odd one goes for silly money.
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I'd be keen to contribute to an Xtian/religious article. I could start with Aussie Xtian stuff and work my way across the pacific (Anyone got a copy of that Aussie 'Rock Mass for Love' or whatever it's called they want to trade me? ;-)

I'm afraid most of the stuff I collect wouldn't be of interest to those who dig the funk (so I hope this isn't a prerequisite), but the world of Jesus records offers other rewards for the faithful - like incredibly silly lyrics!

BTW I saw a cheap copy of Larry Norman's 'Only visiting this planet' so if anyone is especially keen on it PM me and i'll try and pick it up next week.

Jamie.
                              https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Working...
                              X