And talking of Acid Jazz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And talking of Acid Jazz...

I got a copy of the first 'Push' CD today called 'Can't Fight It'... those of you who participated in the Xmas swap would have heard a track on Ed's mix. I have to say it's a pretty good album and very typical of the polished funk sound of its day (1996).

Many of the band members also worked another project called 'The Max' and recorded an album called 'The Present' which has a very similar vibe to it.

More information on Push here.
    Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

have that one to. it has some nice tracks as i remember. this was one of my first contacts with some "groovy" music back in 1996 (and of course the holy spice albums). it's maybe one of the reasons that i'm collecting records today among many others of course...
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Originally posted by effi_deep
      have that one to. it has some nice tracks as i remember. this was one of my first contacts with some "groovy" music back in 1996 (and of course the holy spice albums). it's maybe one of the reasons that i'm collecting records today among many others of course...
      yeah, i saw Push play live at the UCL Student Union back in 95 and that helped put me on the right musical road...

Comment

I've never seen them live, but they still perform today. They supported JTQ at last years New Years gig and by all accounts they were excellent... they did release a second album last year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lovegrove
          Many of the band members also worked another project called 'The Max' and recorded an album called 'The Present' which has a very similar vibe to it.

More information on Push here.
          they were also part of the very nice galliano. another great band from the mid 90's. wow, i think i have to listen to them right now!

Comment

I saw them on a double bill with Brand New Heavies at PNL on Holloway Road in 87. The ents. secretary at PNL, predictably, went to work for Kiss 100 when she left college. They both sounded like the Meters in those days.
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Yeah I really got into Galliano, especially the first two albums but started to lose interest a bit by the time they got to 'Four'.

Still a fan of Rob though, under his 'Earl Zinger' name and also his 'Two Banks of Four' stuff is very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lovegrove
                Yeah I really got into Galliano, especially the first two albums but started to lose interest a bit by the time they got to 'Four'.

Still a fan of Rob though, under his 'Earl Zinger' name and also his 'Two Banks of Four' stuff is very nice.
                yeah, me to. the first two are the nice ones. i've heard a nice remix cd from other musicians with galliano tracks some weeks ago at a friends house. that one was cool to.

Comment

from memory I have a compilation called something like :
                  "even more original raw soul" which features a few tunes by push. Dont know if they are the same tracks as on the albums.

So from what you lot are saying their repetoir so far is :

event more original waw soul -- tracks on comp
                  'The Max' and recorded an album called 'The Present'
                  second album last year (what was the first one then?)
                  new album by Push called 'Can't Fight It'
                  stuff with Galliano.

anyone care to fill in the blanks.

so Nick if they are still playing is there any chance of getting them down the salmon and compass?
                  Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser
                    new album by Push called 'Can't Fight It'
                    so what is the new cd like? total dancefloor killer / a few hits and lots of fillers?
                    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

The first album was called 'Can't Fight It'

The second album is called 'People' and you can buy it directly from them on their website: www.pushband.com

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser
                        so what is the new cd like? total dancefloor killer / a few hits and lots of fillers?
                        can't fight it is from 1996...

Comment

Wasn't "Shaft in Acton" a big track for them all those years ago when Eddie Saunders was still in the frame? Must be 88 or 89...my memory fails me (what's new) but I seem to remember it on an Acid Jazz comp along with Snowboy and a few others.

Or was it on the Freedom Principle comp?
                          Last edited by peretti; 14-04-2005, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Yep, it's on an early Acid Jazz comp alongside an early Galliano rap thing.

Have to say, I'm not a fan of "Shaft In Acton". Ain't dirty enough for me!
                            records - one a week mixcloud
                            records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Push did some tracks for Soulciety in the mid-90s and also a 45 from a cartoon soundtrack in the last couple of years.
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X