78's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78's

I know this is a very broad question, but see loads around and never bother looking through them.
    Is there anything worth looking out for? They cant be many aroud these days? I know if its elvis i must snap it up, but thats about it
    cheers

on an international scale i'd look for 'os mutantes' and 'r.d. burman' on 78 if youve got a player (which is easy enough to find)
    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

Originally posted by DOKO*ENO
      on an international scale i'd look for 'os mutantes' and 'r.d. burman' on 78 if youve got a player (which is easy enough to find)
      Dont seem to get many bollwood soundtracks at blackpool carboots, but i'll keep an eye out
      cheers

Comment

there's a lot of good 50s and 60s jazz on 78s (look out for labels like Vogue). they were produced in India until well into the 60s too - Beatles etc. also several of the UK libraries, like KPM, put out 78s.
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

i think i read that the last few 78s in the UK were made as late as '61 but i could be wrong. personally the weight and fragility of them scares me off buying any, althought i am often tempted on the rare occasions i see jazz 78s (and not classical or the usual rubbish)

Comment

Probably hard to find in uk but they are about, pre war blues 78's I got 2 wicked columbia blind willie johnsons and a shit hot blind lemon jefferson on paramount are my stand outs they sound amazin!!!

Comment

They were made later than 61 in the Uk for export to other places, africa for instance

Comment

on ebay the other day was screaming jay hawkins i put a spell on you on 78.

i always see loads at boot sales and wondered if i could play them on a normal record player i got 78 speed but would they play?
                instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

i also found in a charity shop in cornwall a pack of 78 centers that had been cut round and made into coasters. which i thought looked nice and was going to get a load and make some my self. dunno how id do it though
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

no the groove is thicker so it would damage the 78's

Comment

ive got some library 78's if anyone is up for trades?

cheers craig...
                      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Working...
                      X