Tedious question about expensive records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tedious question about expensive records

My regular store has now got Johnny Harris Movements and the 2nd press of Ananda Shankar on the wall for 40 euros each. Near mint I'm told. I've know the tunes on them and am tempted but am wondering whether those are actually cheap, ok or overpriced.

I justs ettled for some cheap Ronnie Laws to keep me ticking over.

Cheers
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

I'd say overpriced (but I haven't yet bagged either of 'em!). Bide your time, I say.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

For the Movements thats bang on the going rate I think. I personally wouldnt pay that for it though.

Which Ananda Shankar is it? 'And his music'?
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

... In addition, does it not depend which issue of "Movements" it is, too...??

Sermad got the Ananda Shankar LP from Utrect - I assume you are talking about the same LP...?
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

if it's And His Music, buy it now!

presumably 2nd press of the Repise s/t. thought that was down to 20 quid or so these days...

also, both have decent reissues, assuming you avoid the Movements boot and get the double reissue with bonus tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
            For the Movements thats bang on the going rate I think. I personally wouldnt pay that for it though.

Which Ananda Shankar is it? 'And his music'?
            The yellow one with Jumping Jack Flash.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Ah about 20 euro would be more like it.

Comment

movements shouldn't be more than 25uk nowadays which is in the region of 40 euro........the ananda shankar 2nd press should be cheap..........the 1st should be cheap too for that matter..........it used to sell for big dough years ago but not any more.........it's not a rare record and it turns up left right and centre.......seen copies on the bay do sod all.........

Comment

Recently copped ‘Movments’ for £12.50. The dealer (really good mike) told me in his opinion the going rate is £20 these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
                    ... In addition, does it not depend which issue of "Movements" it is, too...??

Sermad got the Ananda Shankar LP from Utrect - I assume you are talking about the same LP...?

don't think it tends to matter which pressing with movements..........weren't they only a year apart or something....?.....identical and i'm sure most buyers/sellers don't even realise it had a 1st and 2nd press..........

Comment

Originally posted by platerpus
                      don't think it tends to matter which pressing with movements..........weren't they only a year apart or something....?.....identical and i'm sure most buyers/sellers don't even realise it had a 1st and 2nd press..........
                      Yeah, i agree - they were a year apart and most folks can't tell the difference between the issues - certainly not at a quick glance!

I seem to remember that the price difference is around a tenner (dunno exact coz I never buy the RC Price Guide..!
                      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I'll happilly trade the 45 for the lp btw.

Comment

Cheers for the info. I'm busy finishing work before I go off to ATP at Camber Sands so I'll leave 'em for now.

John Peel

Comment

I would imagine the difference between the movements pressing is the first has the orange Warners label (the one I own) while the second has the green Warners.

Again, I would guess the Shankar first press has the "steamboat" green/pink label while the second (the one I own) has the yellow Reprise label.

Just guessing this from the years they were released and the knowledge gained from 15 years or so buying records, or is that trainspotting?
                            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record
                              I would imagine the difference between the movements pressing is the first has the orange Warners label (the one I own) while the second has the green Warners.

Just guessing this from the years they were released and the knowledge gained from 15 years or so buying records, or is that trainspotting?
                              I don't really care but the first one is catalogue number WS 3002; the second press is K 46054 (according to the Record Collector Guide). My copy has the orange label with WS 3002 on it but the cover has K 46054 (3002).

You are feeling sleepy - very, very sleepy.
                              Endless Tripe

Comment

Working...
                              X