Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bees - Chicken Payback

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Bees - Chicken Payback

    God, I love this. Sounds lovely and 'authentic', played it out next to an old Johnny Otis 7" and you could barely tell which one was a few weeks old and which one was forty seven years old.

    Really liked their album (the one with the Os Mutantes cover) but this is a proper treat. Anyone know if there's going to be a new album? Anyone heard it?
    Mixes, compilations and the like

  • #2
    Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
    God, I love this. Sounds lovely and 'authentic', played it out next to an old Johnny Otis 7" and you could barely tell which one was a few weeks old and which one was forty seven years old.

    Really liked their album (the one with the Os Mutantes cover) but this is a proper treat. Anyone know if there's going to be a new album? Anyone heard it?
    Yeah its a must. very psychified in all the rite ways and yeah they do got a good noise together for a 'modern' band.
    thing i like about em is that you get sumfin different each time you check em, a most fluid sound indeed. Nice use of 'fluid' there i thought.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

    Comment


    • #3
      I think it sounds great, sometimes bands making "retro" music can get it very wrong but this just sounds good and who cares that it is new
      My Mixcloud

      Comment


      • #4
        hey has anyone got the MADLIB!!! remix of it?

        It's ACE
        Country be dyin like poor people do
        Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

        And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
          hey has anyone got the MADLIB!!! remix of it?

          It's ACE
          Hahahahah search the forum for my opinion of this...
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

          Comment


          • #6
            Agree with everyone, it's a great LP.

            Does anyone have their debut? Been wondering whether to get it.
            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

            Comment


            • #7
              Yup, I've got it. Very nice indeed, haven't listened to it in a while but its good stuff...kind of summery, mellow psych feel from what I remember.

              Listening to their You Got To Leave EP at the mo, brill stuff..esp. a song called Jackel Head.
              Mixes, compilations and the like

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sermad
                Hahahahah search the forum for my opinion of this...
                To quote Mr Paul Calf..."Bag o' Shite mate"

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm in the dark about this. Is this a funky 45 style thing from The Bees no? Is it on 45 too? More fun if it is.

                  Is it really good, or is it more like the early style of 'new funk' 45s? I ask because of the generic style title, "chicken payback" - the title sounds a bit "let's make a funk record, you know, about food etc". I'm sure the sound is good (i.e anything that doesn't sound like Joss Stone or Jools Holland) but is the tune good?

                  Wtf am I talking about? I'll see if I can find a clip somewhere on 'tinternet.
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Horses for Courses

                    Originally posted by Si Cheeba
                    To quote Mr Paul Calf..."Bag o' Shite mate"
                    Bahhh!!! I love it....not just because it's Madlib (i know all about the cult of Madlib and how some people think the sun shines out of his arse)...but because as a remix it pulls all the right strings for me...sounds great on 10"...has a punkish edge to it...works on the dancefloor for me...and it could so easily have been a play it by numbers broken beater or house tweaker...i say horses for courses everytime though so i'm not offended or anything...i just think it's ace....plus a good sign is that when i've played it over the shop soundsystem people have asked what it was...without knowing it was Madlib...

                    I say Bag of brilliance

                    There's no accounting for taste eh

                    I'm loving the new Quantic Soul Orchestra at the moment....
                    Country be dyin like poor people do
                    Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

                    And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Nick Cope
                      I'm in the dark about this. Is this a funky 45 style thing from The Bees no? Is it on 45 too? More fun if it is.

                      Is it really good, or is it more like the early style of 'new funk' 45s? I ask because of the generic style title, "chicken payback" - the title sounds a bit "let's make a funk record, you know, about food etc". I'm sure the sound is good (i.e anything that doesn't sound like Joss Stone or Jools Holland) but is the tune good?

                      Wtf am I talking about? I'll see if I can find a clip somewhere on 'tinternet.
                      No its not a funk 45. Its a kind of funky rock n rolly er pop song Its fab. You'll hate it...

                      http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF148750-02-01-05.mp3

                      And here is the madlib remix...

                      http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF176279-01-01-01.mp3
                      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sermad
                        And here is the madlib remix...

                        http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF176279-01-01-01.mp3
                        Wow, it's so much better as just some dudes shouting over drumbeats without all those annoying chords and... you know, music stuff.

                        Nah, I'm with Sermz on this one.

                        Who here is feeling "The Russian" off the same album... as far as repetitive instrumentals go it's pretty decent I reckon.
                        *

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Madlib was supposed to have come down HF&S the other night with Egon to hang out with Keb, but they got lost at went back to the hotel, so Keb talked to my girlfriend Kat all night instead, who was over from New York for her art show, while me and Thierry from Brussels played with records.

                          What a fuckin name dropper! Well I do like to gush about me girlfriend/fiance sometimes...

                          I'll check out them mp3s now.
                          http://wakeupanddie.com
                          http://weirdgearnyc.com
                          http://makethingsmatter.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Got a copy of the 10" and I have to say I was a bit under-whelmed. Not up to all the hype IMO, and a disappointing mix from Madlib too. maybe its a grower, I'll persevere...
                            www.starlarecords.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sermad
                              No its not a funk 45. Its a kind of funky rock n rolly er pop song Its fab. You'll hate it...

                              Why would I hate this? It sounds like an old Eddie Bo R&B record circa 66 ish to me... I like who they appear to be paying back various animals - tongue in cheek as suspected, but fun.

                              As for the Madlib remix: from the clip I heard it didn't sound too bad. I mean the first bit wasn't really working for me, the second bit was better. Would never play it out in a million years though.
                              http://wakeupanddie.com
                              http://weirdgearnyc.com
                              http://makethingsmatter.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X