Selling Big Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Big Records

I suspect the answer to this is plainly obvious but I'll see if anyone with more experience has anything to suggest about what to do with some big oasis collectors items I've had knocking around for the last 13 years.

I put them on ebay a few months back and pitched my prices on ebay at about 2/3 of the price being charged by espirit.com and sold one. There was some off bay interest on the others but there's only 1 guy still biting at about 50% of the espirit.com price. Its still plenty of wonga so I am assuming I should just go for it at this point.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

One idea is to take a chance and put really low starting price on eBay to get peoples attention and get them to start bidding.
    A friend of mine sells many psych/prog rarities this way - a high starting price will scare off several bidders, a low onw will attract and once the bidding has started it may end up quite high anyway - but it is a chance-taking, cause you might just end up selling them off for just the low starting bid...
    ...this was just an idea... don't blame me if all goes bad...
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb
      One idea is to take a chance and put really low starting price on eBay to get peoples attention and get them to start bidding.
      A friend of mine sells many psych/prog rarities this way - a high starting price will scare off several bidders, a low onw will attract and once the bidding has started it may end up quite high anyway - but it is a chance-taking, cause you might just end up selling them off for just the low starting bid...
      ...this was just an idea... don't blame me if all goes bad...
      you can do this and put a reserve price in as well though, hopefully the low starting price would attract buyers, but you won't have to sell anything if you don't get any high bids....
      http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

A low starting bid got loads of people offering me 50 quid to sell it now off-bay.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

You could hold out for a few quid more than the guy with the 50% price offer, but how long will it take to move it! If you are already gonna make a fair profit on what you paid for it, and your not bothered about keeping the record yourself anymore, take the dosh and run...
          Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

Originally posted by tdlt02
            You could hold out for a few quid more than the guy with the 50% price offer, but how long will it take to move it!

We've been in negotiations since christmas

If you are already gonna make a fair profit on what you paid for it, and your not bothered about keeping the record yourself anymore, take the dosh and run...
            Paid! Who said anything about paid!!! I swapped it for beer and choclate from an indie-hating DJ.

John Peel

Comment

Quids in then...
              Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

Originally posted by benjamin hatton
                you can do this and put a reserve price in as well though, hopefully the low starting price would attract buyers, but you won't have to sell anything if you don't get any high bids....
                ebay changed the rules so that the lowest reserve is £50.

SUX.
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

if they don't owe you anything and you just wanna get some dough in then bung 'em on the bay at a reasonably low start price.......and see what happens.........reasonably low as in maybe a tenner a piece depending on the collectability factor......chances are you'll win some and lose some but as long as it works out ok across the board there's nothing lost...........as someone already said i think high start prices and reserves often just put peeps off.......

Comment

Anyone tried listing there records on CDandLP.com? From what I can see they allow non traders to list the wares?
                    My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by platerpus
                      if they don't owe you anything and you just wanna get some dough in then bung 'em on the bay at a reasonably low start price.......and see what happens.........reasonably low as in maybe a tenner a piece depending on the collectability factor......chances are you'll win some and lose some but as long as it works out ok across the board there's nothing lost...........as someone already said i think high start prices and reserves often just put peeps off.......
                      Tis true - when you list it for 99p people start thinking of it as theirs already - you have them hooked and can then reel 'em in.

Well I decided after not having sold them at high prices on ebay to take the money (3 figure sum) and run off to Camber Sands tomorrow. This is some consolation as I was just told I didn't get the job I really wanted.

John Peel

Comment

?!

I shift all of my gear on cdandlp.com. .. kind of given up on the 'Bay really. . .

I'd prefer to let it sit there until it goes for a reasonablish price that I've fixed. .. and of course if it doesn't, I can reduce it and see what happens.

Seems a wee bit safer than risking it on the 'Bay. . .where prices can soar to outrageous heights and also go ridiculously low. . .

Comment

Working...
                        X