Any advice for novice seller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice for novice seller?

A bit long this one, but it is a Friday and all comments are sincerely appreciated...

ok, I've never sold any records before - traded, given away, lost to light fingered feckers, yes, but never put anything up for sale. Now I want to get rid of a few hundred records online but I'd really appreciate a little advice from some of you. Any advice, in fact.

I'm intending to get rid of (mostly) jazz/soul/funk albums and 12"s as well as a heap of apparently classic housey housey and bit of reggae. All originals and in good nick. No holy grails but lots of LPs I regularly see priced in the £30-70 bracket, some box sets (Nu Yorican, Dance Decade etc) plus a bunch of seemingly rare house numbers ... can Harvey's stuff on Black Cock really be that much?

QUESTIONS

1. I thought of e-bay but I have no rating so as a non-rated new seller e-bay, would the lack of positive feedback affect the number of bidders I might get? Would I get any at all?

2. would it be better to join CDandLP, GEMM or similar and just price the whole lot up reasonably and see what happens?

3. are there sites dedicated to selling house stuff or is that market dead? Mostly '88 to '95 or so...

4. how wrong is it to own 30 George Benson records?

All thoughts received with pathetic gratitude.

Peretti

for the more dancey stuff you can check on www.discogs.com, they list how many people want various tunes, you can register and contact them to give them a heads up about any sales.
    a friend does that and it seems to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by peretti
      1. I thought of e-bay but I have no rating so as a non-rated new seller e-bay, would the lack of positive feedback affect the number of bidders I might get? Would I get any at all?
      As a buyer this would be a little disconcerting but, if the listing was thorough, honest and not too overblown, I'd probably take a chance. Nevertheless, I suspect a zero rating will make bidders more cautious, and your earnings lower. Why not buy a few items first, to get some positive feedback?

2. would it be better to join CDandLP, GEMM or similar and just price the whole lot up reasonably and see what happens?
      Sounds like a safer bet, but would probably take longer. Depends how long you're prepared to have these records sit around.

3. are there sites dedicated to selling house stuff or is that market dead? Mostly '88 to '95 or so...
      Ask on Bill's DJ History forum (chances are you may find some buyers too).
      Er...

Also, factor in the cost of packaging materials and your time to your prices. Don't go overboard with the cost of S+H (transparent rates are good) as this makes me think that the seller is grabby and taking the piss, and puts me off dealing with him/her.

Good luck.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

A bit long this one, but it is a Friday and all comments are sincerely appreciated...

ok, I've never sold any records before - traded, given away, lost to light fingered feckers, yes, but never put anything up for sale. Now I want to get rid of a few hundred records online but I'd really appreciate a little advice from some of you. Any advice, in fact.

I'm intending to get rid of (mostly) jazz/soul/funk albums and 12"s as well as a heap of apparently classic housey housey and bit of reggae. All originals and in good nick. No holy grails but lots of LPs I regularly see priced in the £30-70 bracket, some box sets (Nu Yorican, Dance Decade etc) plus a bunch of seemingly rare house numbers ... can Harvey's stuff on Black Cock really be that much?

QUESTIONS

All thoughts received with pathetic gratitude.

Peretti
        dooood.

dunno bout the 'house market', avoiding the plethora of puns available, i'd say get yer ass on the bay and see wat happens. ebay always amazes me at how unpredictable it can be. you can be selling top rankin' stuff and get crap all bids and shift utter bum (ahem) to those who aint perhaps as savvy as they need to be. if your sellin' good stuff theres no need to waffle, if on the other hand your tryin' to shift some medium flavours then you may need to apply some verbal shine to your descriptions. ebay got a tutorial i think that u could do and if you wack two @'s as o's in look thus [email protected]@K...BAM!...then you cookin it rite.................skillz.

good look fella and welcome to our nightmare..........and ebay of course.

no use watsoever....thats me that is.

word.
        Last edited by SARGE; 22-04-2005, 03:08 PM.
        MODZ
        Hero No.9
        Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
        THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Nico, Rich, Sarge, thanks very, very much for the input.

Maybe I'll knock the no-so-hots out on eBay (possibly with requisite BREAKS 4 EVA!!! style descriptions and after earning some feedback, I guess) and try a selection of the nicer numbers on a GEMM-style site and see what gives.

After hoarding for this long, time isn't really a factor so I don't mind too much if it takes a while to shift them.

Cheers lads - all ideas welcome.

peretti

Comment

Nico, Rich, Sarge, thanks very, very much for the input.

Maybe I'll knock the no-so-hots out on eBay (possibly with requisite BREAKS 4 EVA!!! style descriptions and after earning some feedback, I guess) and try a selection of the nicer numbers on a GEMM-style site and see what gives.

After hoarding for this long, time isn't really a factor so I don't mind too much if it takes a while to shift them.

Cheers lads - all ideas welcome.

peretti
            go get 'em P.
            MODZ
            Hero No.9
            Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
            THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

ROOOOOAAAAAR.

Comment

QUESTIONS

Peretti
                Want a relatively fast way to build up some feedback? This is an old trick but it works, for a very small outlay.

Using ebay's advanced search, type "and" into the search box (without the parenthesis), and type dvd into the Words to Exclude box. Tick search title and description box and enter price range between .01 and .99. Tick the boxes for Buy It Now items and Paypal items.

When you run the search you should end up with a hefty list of items, most of them electronic "how to...." guides that sellers will email to you very quickly once paid (must make sure you don't buy more than one item off each seller or the feedback won't count to your score). Leave feedback for them, they will generally do the same, et voila - within less than a day you can have a feedback of at least 10, with very little money spent.

I told my sister to do this as she wanted to run a dutch auction for a lot of items she had picked up from an auction and needed to shift quick, and it worked brilliantly. She even ended up buying 6 air guitars from different sellers for about 10p each - 60p for six positive feedback comments - bargain!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X