Death Wish - Herbie Hancock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Wish - Herbie Hancock

OK I've seen an OG of this @ a local record store for £15 & am debating as to whether it is worth splashing the cash.

I had a quick listen & but not enough to be sure. 20 secs into the opening track there is a break that I like & recognise, but for the life of me I can not place.

Any views folks would be welcome!
    www.sliderecordshop.com

Here's a review. Like the sequence of songs and the mood. It's more of a record that grows on you than something that hits you right off.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/cra...dtracks&page=2
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Is that the one that Dee-Lite (or what was their name?) sampled?
      In that case I like it!
      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb
        Is that the one that Dee-Lite (or what was their name?) sampled?
        In that case I like it!
        Nah, that was 'Bring down the birds' which was from the film 'Blow Up!' and used in 'Groove is in the heart'... also by hancock.

I've not heard the DW soundtrack, just the main title... which is superb IMO.
        Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Warren
          OK I've seen an OG of this @ a local record store for £15 & am debating as to whether it is worth splashing the cash.

I had a quick listen & but not enough to be sure. 20 secs into the opening track there is a break that I like & recognise, but for the life of me I can not place.

Any views folks would be welcome!
          it's a pretty cool soundtrack. but i think the titletrack is by far the best on it. the rest is more sort of some athmospheric orchestration stuff, but quiet cool and there is stuff for the sampler. it's worth buying it for sure, but 15£ seems a bit overpriced to me. i've seen it 2 or 3times for around 20.- (swissfrancs).
          Last edited by effi_deep; 23-04-2005, 01:11 PM.
          Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

i just gave it a listen, and "fill your hand" is the second really cool track on it (beside the main theme). sort of a groovy bigband fusion track. "joannas theme" is ok too, but seems a bit cheesy to me. simple wah wah guitar and bass with some superclean strings.
            i can say, all in all i'm glad i bought it!
            Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lovegrove
              Nah, that was 'Bring down the birds' which was from the film 'Blow Up!' and used in 'Groove is in the heart'... also by hancock.

Yes, you're quite right. I mixed them up...
              "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
              and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

can't remember all the artists who sampled this particular record but the Major Force West - '93-97 lp comes to mind, the drum break is used heavily on one of their songs. a few other breaks/hip hop producers have also sampled the same break but i'm drawing a blank at the moment. it's a great record. i've seen it pretty cheap here in the US but I guess it's more common here.

Comment

Thanks for that chaps.

I did what I should have done in the first place. Downloaded the LP from soulseek & have a listen [note to self: don't post on board after having been down the pub all evening ]

I subsequently decided to go for it & this pm did a bit of negotiating on the price. Now all I have to do is identify where the hell the break has been used without listening to my whole damn record collection.

I've looped the bit I am talking about.

hancock loop

Any help welcome...this is killing me!
                  www.sliderecordshop.com

Comment

http://www.the-breaks.com/search.php...hancock&type=0

Cinematic Orchestra by any chance? (This is Rich, BTW).
                    Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
                    Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

hancock loop

Hi. i'm sure a 90s soul tune sampled this as well.....did you pray today...lisa taylor...i think ,memories a bit rusty

Comment

diamon-d's gotta be the big chunk here
                        kraut rock ist nicht tot!
                        http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
                        http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Comment

It won't be the Cinematic Orchestra, as the loop Warren posted is from the main title theme.
                          Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Hmmm just had a listen and do recognise it. Think Peanut Butter Wolf nicked the base for one of his skits on My Vinyl Ways A Ton, but thats a bit of a long shot. Also on that LP there are some other samples from Automator and Herbilizer.
                            Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
                            www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
                            www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

Sorry, this is a thread hijack but I had a surreal Herbie Hancock experience today... I was selling vinyl at a local fleamarket and a guy wants to listen to Rare Earth saying he just chatted to two of the cats the other day. While listening to the looong version of Get Ready, he spots someone else looking at Herbie Hancock - Monsters, and gets excited and says he sang on two of the tracks. I'm thinking backing vocals, but I play track 2, Stars In Your Eyes on the p.a. and he proceeds to belt out the vocal along with the track. Had most of the room looking on in amazement, partly coz he's basically serenading me at the turntables. Top moment! I felt it my duty to give him the LP and got him to sign my 45 case. Rock n Roll!
                              www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

Working...
                              X