Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soul Extravaganza

Hello

Yesterday i swapped an LP called Soul Extravaganza. It features covers of Sock It To 'Em JB, Harlem Shuffle, Soul Mate, See See Rider, Uptight, Light My Fire, Soul Stream. Soul Man & Green Onions among others. It's licensed to a portuguese label that also operated in Spain at the time called Movieplay and the only credit on the record reads A Shaftesbury Record Production. Does this ring any bell? The records is quite good...

that's a euro pressing of The New London Rhythm & Blues Band 'Soul Cookin' lp which came out on u.s. Vocalion...maybe with a slightly different tracklisting...

Comment

Originally posted by platerpus
      that's a euro pressing of The New London Rhythm & Blues Band 'Soul Cookin' lp which came out on u.s. Vocalion...maybe with a slightly different tracklisting...
      OK

here's an exact tracklisting of this one:

A
      1. Sock it to em jb
      2. Harlem Shuffle
      3. Soul Mate
      4. See See Rider
      5. Midnight Mover
      6. Up Hard

B
      1.Uptight
      2. Light My Fire
      3. Soul Stream
      4. Dancing in the street
      5. Soul Man
      6. Green Onions

Do you think it's the same LP?

Comment

yes it is the same lp no question.....the euro press has an extra track 'Sock It To Em JB'..........are you sure about 'Up Hard'....???!!!!

Comment

Another mystery solved

Cool.
          I bought this record about 2 years ago, but never found any information on the band/musicians. It has another title: The Big Band Soul, and it´s a brazilian issue, has the same tracklisting, and like Soul Extravaganza the credit on the record reads A Shaftesbury Record Production.

Peace
          ((-_-)) The groove is out there ((-_-))

Comment

yes it is the same lp no question.....the euro press has an extra track 'Sock It To Em JB'..........are you sure about 'Up Hard'....???!!!!

That's what it says on the cover and side a has 6 tracks definetely!

Comment

Are there any original compositions, and if so, who are they composed by?

I seem to recall this LP being discussed here before, and I think the surname 'Gray' was mentioned - possibly Steve of that ilk.

I think there's some sort of connection between Shaftesbury Music and Cyril Stapleton, though I'm not certain about this at the moment. Pete Moore and Brian Fahey have done stuff for them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                Are there any original compositions, and if so, who are they composed by?

I seem to recall this LP being discussed here before, and I think the surname 'Gray' was mentioned - possibly Steve of that ilk.

I think there's some sort of connection between Shaftesbury Music and Cyril Stapleton, though I'm not certain about this at the moment. Pete Moore and Brian Fahey have done stuff for them too.

yep the two og tracks are credited to Gray but i'd be very surprised if it was Steve.........pretty sure this is a u.s. production........

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, Shaftesbury were a UK operation, though the tracks could well be US recordings licensed from elsewhere - nothing is ever at it seems in the world of obscure budget labels!

I'd be interested to hear some of this LP, actually, to see I can identify anyone involved.

Comment

Yup

It reads Gray on the credits of the two originals on my version too...

Comment

I believe this lp also came out here in Australia as Zeke Dalmation and the Soul Kings.

David S.
                      God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by soundsville
                        I believe this lp also came out here in Australia as Zeke Dalmation and the Soul Kings.

David S.
                        indeed. on Festival, and it claims to be 'recorded in England' on the back...
                        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I've got this on Vocalion and I reckon it is Steve Gray due to the 2 OG tracks sound so much like UK library tracks and it sounds really like Alan Parker on Guitar on 'Soul Stream' - other than that I have no basis on which to have reached this conclusion
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

seems to be a bit of a gray area then doesn't it.......
                            can't stand the bloody thing anyway to be honest.........just not my cup 'o tea.....

Comment

Working...
                            X