Aussie pressings of VV standards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie pressings of VV standards...

This has been in the back of my mind for a while... basically I was wondering what common UK records (in the VV sense) were given releases down under. I guess i'd like to know which ones I need to fork out for on the 'Bay or try to nab in trade cause there's stuff all chance of finding them locally.

Some ones that DID get local releases are:

- The Duke Grant Hammond one.
    - Purple Fox
    - The 'Jungle Fever' Hammond one
    - Alan Haven Organ Show
    - Most or all of the Geoff Love ones
    - Chico Lopez - Fiesta!
    - Nico Gomez - Ritual
    - a few Ray Davies & the Button Down Brass (but which ones?)
    - All the Mandingo's

...but what about any of these?

- Movements
    - Hanged Man
    - Harry Roche ones
    - Pete Moore ones...

Anyone know for sure?

Cheers,
    Jamie.
    https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

There is no local pressing of Hanged Man, however a track does appear on a compilation... Bruce Highway might be able to fill you in.

Ray Davies - Benny & The Duke has a local pressing...

The only Pete Moore I know that has a local press is CHARIOTS OF THE GODS... There's lots more stuff that got local pressings like Goodbye Gemini OST, El Chicles - The Snake and more... keep diggin'

good luck!

peace.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Sheep
      There is no local pressing of Hanged Man, however a track does appear on a compilation... Bruce Highway might be able to fill you in.

are you talking about the record I showed you Sheep? -
      an oddball record on the EMS label that features Contract Theme, its got spoken word banter over it, I put it my last vulture swap CD

I agree that loads of stuff had australian pressings, shessh, even NZ pressings (Booker T stax 45's anyone?) ..

some things pressed out here that leap to mind

Barbara and Ernie - Prelude to
      Bonnie Dobson - S/T
      Motown stuff like the Temptations

I've also got some sounds orchestral / John Schroeder stuff that I think was pressed here

I know there are more though .. hmm

Comment

McDonald & Giles ?!

wheres Formigo - I know he's turned up a few copies of this ..

lets not forget this fella either !

aus pressing

south african

Comment

I finally picked up Cold Fact the other day - it's a ripper of an album.

Comment

To my knowledge, none of the Contour stuff was pressed out here.

Movements, possibly, but I haven't seen it.

Surprisingly both "Suite London" and "The Illustrated London Noise" have NZ pressings (these are often touted as UK only). (Not that I've been lucky enough to find copies for myself).

There is a surprising number of decent records that were pressed out here, but unfortunately, it seems that the better the record, the smaller the quantity. Australia seems to fare a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by rolex baxter
              McDonald & Giles ?!

wheres Formigo - I know he's turned up a few copies of this ..
              Five in the last twelve months... I don't know what is up with me and this record but our love is mutual... all different pressings too, I can't remember if any were local though.

As for Rodriguez, don't forget there is also the "At His Best" LP - Oz/NZ only I believe - which has three tracks that are otherwise unreleased. From memory one of them at least is really good ("You Can't Get Away From It"?)

Comment

Originally posted by formigo
                There is a surprising number of decent records that were pressed out here, but unfortunately, it seems that the better the record, the smaller the quantity. Australia seems to fare a bit better.
                One thing I have noticed is that NZ pressings seem to be much better quality (or at least heavier vinyl, and sturdy flip back covers) compared to Australia. Quite similar to UK pressings.

I think we got a decent amount of Studio 2 releases locally (both NZ and Aus), and quite a few garage and surf 45's came out in Oz too - Shadows of Knight, Count Five, Barbarians etc.

When you get to heaven, what'll you think you'll say? You'll say g'day,

Jamie.

Comment

Here are a few some others that I suppose are not so much common UK records, but stuff i'm still suprised got an aussie pressing:

Certain Lions and Tigers 'El Soul Condor'

Jean Jacques Perrey 'Moog Indigo'

Jon Gregory 'A Man for All Seasons'

El Chicles 'Discotheque Explosion'

Ennio Morricone 'The Sicilian Clan'

Comment

Originally posted by formigo

Surprisingly both "Suite London" and "The Illustrated London Noise" have NZ pressings (these are often touted as UK only).
                    I've had 'Suite London' on a South African pressing before now too..
                    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I've got an Australian 'Lennon & McCartney Tijuana Style' on Summit, who seem to model themselves on MFP right down to ripping off the label design! A few Ad-Rhythm LPs seem to have come out on Summit too, including Koichi Oke's Yamaha Superstar.

Did 'The Hanged Man' ever air in Australia? I know they showed a lot of British TV over there, but I don't know whether that was one of them. One of the Australian TV networks did however make a TV movie with George Lazenby called 'The Newman Shame' which uses all of the music - it turned up on British TV in the middle of the night about ten years ago, and I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
                        I've had 'Suite London' on a South African pressing before now too..

Do all the Suite London foreign presses have white instead of gold on the cover's graphic?

Or did i dream this?

Btw, I'd very much like a copy of Suite London to take with me to NY, since to me it's quintessentially British! Would anyone care to sell or trade me one? Ta.
                        http://wakeupanddie.com
                        http://weirdgearnyc.com
                        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick Cope]Do all the Suite London foreign presses have white instead of gold on the cover's graphic?

Or did i dream this?

my NZ copy has Peddlers/London Philharmonic Orch in Gold letters.

havent seen an aus press of Movements, but there is an aus press of 'All to Bring you Morning'. havent seen a Hanged Man either though some of the Contour stuff was released, Norrie Paramor's Law Beat comes to mind. the pete moore stuff is available, Lively and Latin, Best of Bacharach, The Award Winners etc are all on Astor. pretty much most of the John Schroeder stuff, 'Working in the Soul Mine', 'Dolly Catcher', all the Mandingo lps, most of the Ray Davies stuff... most of the Vertigo stuff ie Nucleus... there's tons that i cant think of right now. most of the major label stuff got a release, but, as Formigo has pointed out, it can sometimes be just as hard to find a local press as one from the country of origin. still, it's nice to be pleasantly surprised when you turn something up that you never expected would have a local press. found a 7' the other day of Pentagle's Night Flight b/w Sally Go Round the Roses. so you never know.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope

Btw, I'd very much like a copy of Suite London to take with me to NY, since to me it's quintessentially British! Would anyone care to sell or trade me one? Ta.
                            Do you need it on vinyl, Nick? Or would a CD-R do?

Comment

John Schroeder's 'Witchi Tai To' got an NZ press (cheers Formigo!), as did David McCallum's 'Music: A Bit More Of Me'...
                              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X