Vv on the 'bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vv on the 'bay

I don't know if anyone else has noiced this, but in recent times I have noticed certain sellers on eBay taking their LP descriptions directly from articles on this very site.

Some bloke flogging Roy Budd's 'Plays the music of Gilbert O'Sullivan' LP half-inched the words from one of my recent charts. Somebody else nicked Sie's description word-for-word of the De Wolfe 'Black Pearl' LP from the VV library pages for his auction of the same item.

These are just two examples and in both instances neither seller bothered to credit VV!

if only Boogiejuice did the same!!!!

"no-track charidee shop fodder that pence cannot justify...buy it now for $10"

if folk use our descriptions on ebay, personally i'd take it as flattery...it would be nice if they said to check VV for details tho', but you cant have everything...

Comment

I know The-E-Man gets ripped off royally when people use Blaxploitation.com reviews.

I think your well with in your rights to ask the seller to pull his auction as its copyright material. I would certainly email them to ask to add a link to the vv site for sure.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] ]...if only Boogiejuice did the same&#33;
         indeed &#33;

...good call Chris &#33;

It is a form of flattery, agreed, but on a down-side I also feel that it&#39;s a blatent form of laziness...

... I bet all our Vulture site collaborators are only quoted/copied if they are biggin&#39; - up a record...

... what about the ones we don&#39;t like eh?

I got the in me today... so watch it, buster.
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]I think your well with in your rights to ask the seller to pull his auction as its copyright material. I would certainly email them to ask to add a link to the vv site for sure.
          Fair point Serm, but isn&#39;t that gonna take a lot of monitoring to keep check on... ?

I spend enough time on the &#39;bay already... something that infuriates me anyway (overhyped records, auctions pulled, bad descriptions... bah bah bah bah)...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Oh yeah - I wouldnt go out of my way to look for ripped off stuff - But generally the ost&#39;s I&#39;m after...well the descriptions are strangely familar

I don&#39;t think The-E-Man gets in a frothy rage over it...I think he is too busy dancing to Janet Jackson records

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (chrisvulture @ 12 June 2003,14:45)]if only Boogiejuice did the same&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
              Well, I&#39;ve noticed he&#39;s billed Gate Crashers &#39;Come to Our Surprise Party&#39; LPs as having &#39;Barbara Moore style harmonies&#39; since my revelation about her work for SGA - hell, it&#39;s nice people pay attention to what I have to say&#33;

Comment

I&#39;ll admit to using other peoples write-up&#39;s in some of my auctions - though none of them from the VV site and all credited none-the-less.

It&#39;s not always down to being lazy though, just depends on how good your &#39;gift for the gab&#39; is... there&#39;s only so many times you can say &quot;This record is shit hot&quot;&#33;

I&#39;m not a writer, and find that my descriptions can sound a little similar to one another if the records are in the same style.
                Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

I&#39;d take it as a compliment - shows that your worked is being looked at, therefore worthwhile (though not neccesarily so that you can make e-bay sellers&#39; lives easier) But it certainly isn&#39;t worth getting vexed about in the slightest...
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

vexed?

has thou nicolas copius messmerillous beeneth watching gladitor too muchius of latius

I would be pissed off if BoogieJuice used something of mine. (not to start up that old anti-BoogieJuice argument...) The guy just plain lies about his records. Not cool in my book.

Comment

I don&#39;t see why someone wouldn&#39;t credit vv as thats a better recomendation than the seller saying it is great. But I suppose it is a combo of being lazy and wanting to seem more errudite.

But authors are well within their rights tog et annoyed if people are nabbing their work.
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                      X