X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colored vinyl pressings

When the Fantasy record label was bought,
    the people that bought it from whomever owned it
    at the time, (I can't remember the entire story)
    they weren't in the music business or record making business,
    the people that bought it from whomever originally owned it
    were in the Plastics business

I just woke up, so excuse my redundancy

There was only 1 artist on the label at that time.
    Dave Brubeck

The guys that bought it were in the plastics business
    and they had huge sheets of different colored vinyl.
    Black, Red, Blue and Green.

They decided to make the records from Red, Blue and Green colored vinyl, not mixed up colors. They had no ida at the time those original pressings would be 1st pressings.

Then, when those records sold out, they made the
    2nd pressings from Black vinyl.

They had no idea the initial Brubeck LP's were going to sell anywhere near the amount they did. No one did.

In the jazz world, as far as actual numbers go,
    I don't have any for you, BUT they sold a TON of them, 10 inchers I believe.

Many many thousands and actually I think more than any
    other Jazz LP had sold up until that point.

So, after that, as their roster of artists grew, they made every 1st pressing a different colored LP, except Black.

Black was reserved for 2nd and beyond pressings.
    Cool, huh ?

Jack

Would that make them the first coloured vinyl records? If not, who did?
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I think colored vinyl was around before that,
      but I really dont know.

I'm sure it's on the web somewhere

Comment

Nice story, Jack. I think coloured vinyl's been around since the 78rpm era - I'm not familiar with the Fantasy label (am I missing out?), but certainly in Britain there have been coloured discs since the late 1950s.
        In those days, they were usually kids' novelty records - there was one label who did 78rpm vinyl discs with a really nice multicoloured, marbled effect, and HMV had their children's club, which pressed EPs of stories on orange vinyl.

I love coloured vinyl myself, but the ones I'm most interested in are the Bruton library LPs that were pressed in different colours. These seem to be quite rare, and there are normal black versions as well. I know there have been blue and red ones, and maybe others too. I wonder why they were done?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 12 June 2003,23:40)]In those days, they were usually kids' novelty records - there was one label who did 78rpm vinyl discs with a really nice multicoloured, marbled effect, and HMV had their children's club, which pressed EPs of stories on orange vinyl.

I love coloured vinyl myself, but the ones I'm most interested in are the Bruton library LPs that were pressed in different colours. These seem to be quite rare, and there are normal black versions as well. I know there have been blue and red ones, and maybe others too. I wonder why they were done?
          I remember inheriting a heap of those kids' 7"-ers in orange vinyl: were they called the 'golden treasury' series or something? Things like 'Three Little Kittens' & 'Jack & Jill'...of course, I utterly wore out the lot of them...

As for the Brutons, don't know, but do the colours of the vinyl correspond to particular series - or to the general tempos/moods of the music? I could see that colour coding might be useful for those working with library music in certain situations...

Another possibility maybe that it was done just to make the Bruton product stand out from the competition and they were basically promotional novelties? I suppose either reason could make sense...

The heyday must have been the late 70s punk/new wave scene, before the picture disc took over: I have fond memories of bringing home whole piles of 45s in different colours: Dickies 'Banana splits' cover on 'banana yellow vinyl', the Police's Roxanne on blue and several on transparent, lime green etc.

Grossest of all was one by The damned (I think) that came proudly boasting 'vomit coloured vinyl' - a fetching marbled effect in green yellow and brown as I recall. Charming...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Cool ! I got a Red "Tough Talk" Jazz Crusaders and a Blue Cal tajder, can't remember the name, always wondered why they were on coloured vinyl. "Samba de Sueno" ?
            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

That Cal Tjader is on Fantasy
              1st pressing Towny ! Good goin'

I sent you a message, seen it yet ?

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Jack @ 13 June 2003,01:18)]That Cal Tjader is on Fantasy
                1st pressing Towny !  Good goin'
                Contains the OG mad latino jazz dance version of 'Mamblues',if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Belson @ 13 June 2003,09:10)]Contains the OG mad latino jazz dance version of 'Mamblues',if I remember correctly.
                  Thats the fella
                  SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

played a track from 'Tjader Plays Mambo' on red vinyl last night...

remember one night when a friend was round me and my housemate decided to play only coloured or clear vinyl all night, which makes for quite a random selection

Comment

Working...
                    X