We've been rumbled...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We've been rumbled...

From this months issue of 'The Car Boot & Fairs Calender' that fell through the letterbox this morning....

"...in case you are a booter and haven't yet learned to identify the breed, they always carry a square satchel into which twenty LPs will fit, although it will be a lucky day if one finds that many.

Nethertheless, on they go at startling velocity, demanding of those who have just pulled in if they have any records....

...if anybody is amateurish enough to say 'Yes', the supposed priceless treasure will be virtually snatched out of the vendors hand, whereupon the the more greedy will hunch over as many boxes are as provided for them, like an eagle which has just killed a rabbit "

It goes on in much this manner, advising sellers to value *any* records they have by the RC Guide ( ha! ) and not to let them go for 50p, while having a snide dig ( ha! ) at anybody interested in '....disco remix ditties that simply irritate any real musician beyond endurance...'.

I don't know whether to be flattered or offended. I pity the fool etc.....
    Matt Hero

Thats just hilarious. I await my copy with baited breath.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

If only there were those boxes to hunch over these days&#33;

Surely this is defeating the purpose of the booter - if they want proper money for their cast-offs they should put &#39;em up on the &#39;bay or take them to a dealer who will rip them off by going on about pressings and serial numbers. Also, speaking relatively, the money to be made on records is very small - as we all know the most expensive 7&quot; is only £15,000 - compare that to the potentially priceless bit of pottery on the stalls. Furthermore they obviously don&#39;t value the records as a belonging or else they wouldn&#39;t be getting shot of them.

I often think we are viewed with suspicion - I think &quot;normal&quot; people always think we are pulling a fast one when we offer up our shiny 50p pieces but more often than not it&#39;s a total punt and is actually worth nowt. Far and few between are the days when I get a copy of &quot;Suite London&quot; for 25p&#33; I feel this is the case in charities too - &quot;Can I have a look at those records in the back?&quot;, &quot;They&#39;re not priced up yet&quot;, &quot;But all your records are 50p&quot;, &quot;Yes but we haven&#39;t priced those yet&quot;......repeat to fade.

Sorry to rant but I&#39;m getting a bit fed up with being treated like a pariah nerd when I&#39;m out digging

Havig said that are there any good Scottish booter coming then Matt??
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (LDJB @ 13 June 2003,12:21)]Sorry to rant but I&#39;m getting a bit fed up with being treated like a pariah nerd when I&#39;m out digging
        Yep, i&#39;m feeling that too LDJB &#33;

Thank F#~k that the majority of the people we buy records off at booters are not going to be reading &quot;Car boot &amp; Fairs&quot; magazine.

I&#39;m getting bored of being treated like some kind of leach when i&#39;m looking through a box of 30 strict tempo dance LP&#39;s that two old dears are hoping to sell for £1 each. I take a punt on 1 (knowing pretty well it&#39;s going in the bin) and you get the &quot;is that the rare 1, have you found the best 1?&quot; aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhh

I might change my tactics and reply &quot;yeah, thats going straight on ebay for the big buck bids baby &#33;&#33;&#33; gnnnnuuahahaha&quot;
        SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (LDJB @ 13 June 2003,12:21)]Havig said that are there any good Scottish booter coming then Matt??
          Funny you should say that Lee, I was just flicking throught to see what time that market we visited on Sunday officially opens, and I can&#39;t find *any* reference to any Scottish boot fairs (or for that matter N.Ireland). Maybe there is a seperate one for up there ?

On a general point on the original quote, I do worry that there is an increasing level of the &quot;It&#39;s old therefore it is worth something&quot; factor, fuelled by these various tv shows where people have their junk valued and then sold. I don&#39;t know much about anything other than records (and then not a huge amount about them), but 99% of the LPs that I see each week are barely worth a quid, let alone much else.

I think you&#39;re right in that it defeats the purpose of boots to try and sell for market rates. There is a stall on one of my local sales, with a large amount of Poole Pottery stuff. Now, I like the gear, have a couple of pieces that I&#39;ve salvaged, and the prices that they are charging do represent something like 50% off the market value of the pieces. However, who is going to pay £30 notes for a vase at a boot sale unless it is worth ££££££ more ? It&#39;s such a risk.

The same goes for the bloke trying (and still failing) to get £275 for an admitly *mint* Raleigh Chopper at the same fair.
          Matt Hero

Comment

I haven&#39;t been to a car boot sale for well over a year now (having to work weekends and all...) has it really become that cut-throat?

I find the suggestion that we&#39;re in it purely to score valuable items somewhat unfair - of course, there are some people like that, but myself, I&#39;m in it purely for the music, and if it turns out to be valuable it&#39;s just a nice bonus (or in the case of my Soul Proprietors single a massive shock that requires a cup of tea and a long sit down.) In the past when I&#39;ve bought stuff on the grounds that it might be worth a couple o&#39; bob, I&#39;ve usually been disappointed, so I use the &#39;Oh, that might be good&#39; system instead.

I find the &#39;professional&#39; boot sellers this article is presumably aimed at to be far worse, personally - in my experience they&#39;re usually bad tempered gits too. I much prefer people like the lady I just wanted to buy one LP off but she gave me all of them because it was the end of the sale and she wanted to get shot of them - it&#39;s people like that who restore my faith in the human race, gawd bless &#39;er&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 13 June 2003,13:02)]The same goes for the bloke trying (and still failing) to get £275 for an admitly *mint* Raleigh Chopper at the same fair.
              It doesn&#39;t surprise me too much when you see....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....ory=420

Comment

£250 sovs? Mental.

I remember buying a Chopper back in &#39;96 when I was at Uni. Some farmer round our way put it in the small ads for £30 and I was lucky enough to be the first one to ring him. When I got there, he&#39;d had big offers from all over Notts, but we country folk keep our word (and shag our relatives) and I got it for £30. Spanking condition, fire engine red.

I actually bought it cos I&#39;d gobbed off to a mate who desperately wanted one that I&#39;d easily track him one down (because there&#39;s so many barns that have a Chopper, Grifter, Burner, Mongoose and so on). I sold it him for £30. &#39;Why?&#39; I hear you ask, when I could have sold it for a minimum of £200 (even then). Well, because people who make money out of their mates are cunts. End of.

And have you actually tried riding a Chopper now that you&#39;re all grown up? Fucking impossible. Deathtraps&#33; Admittedly, I&#39;ve had umpteen operations on my knee, but even so, those damn things are overrated and liable to have you prostrate in oncoming traffic&#33;

Benicio Del Merckx
                Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

i don&#39;t think there&#39;s too much to worry about with this article. like Lord Thames pointed out, it&#39;s aimed at the professional booter, who is exactly the person no-one on this board ever buys records from.

this sort of article doesn&#39;t affect (and won&#39;t be read by) the occasional booter who is the guy who&#39;s gonna turn up the goodness.

on a wider note, Matt&#39;s right - it&#39;s indicative of the general &#39;old is automatically worth summat&#39; misconception, which always gets worse during economic up/downturns.

on a general booting note, i&#39;m finding it less worthwhile going to the big events - far too many professionals, both sellers and buyers. anyone else finding the same thing?
                  http://www.blaxploitation.com
                  Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

my mate had a Hong Kong rip-off of the Chopper, simply called a Choper.

and another mate sustained a horrific penis injury after hitting a wall and getting caught on the gear shift.

caveat emptor indeed...

ps. is this the first use of &#39;penis&#39; on the VV board?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (theeman @ 13 June 2003,14:35)]on a general booting note, i&#39;m finding it less worthwhile going to the big events - far too many professionals, both sellers and buyers. anyone else finding the same thing?
                      Most of the time this is sadly true. Certainly pickings have been slimmer this year more than any before for me, the best booter being the only one that I go to that *isn&#39;t* listed in the aformentioned magazine.

I&#39;m still trying to keep to my &#39;private sellers only&#39; policy at the booters (with a couple of exceptions) - but more often that not, there is little in the way of gear on offer from anybody *but* the dealers. I&#39;d say it is getting a bit more cut throat with other buyers recently too, had a couple of &#39;discussions&#39; with people recently trying to make off with my selected gear, or &#39;crate jack&#39; me. Bastards.

Still looking for a Raleigh &#39;Mag Burner&#39; in orange with white mags if anybody sees one. Or a Haro Freestyler. Yeah, I know. No chance.
                      Matt Hero

Comment

it&#39;s also interesting how much more regularly the word &#39;ebay&#39; crops up in conversations with other people (sellers and record buyers) at booters in the last year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 13 June 2003,14:48)]Still looking for a Raleigh &#39;Mag Burner&#39; in orange with white mags if anybody sees one. Or a Haro Freestyler. Yeah, I know. No chance.
                          Maybe...........

http://www.mybikesite.com/messages/b...sages/5514.htm

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (theeman @ 13 June 2003,14:53)]it&#39;s also interesting how much more regularly the word &#39;ebay&#39; crops up in conversations with other people (sellers and record buyers) at booters in the last year or so.
                            Yup, heard many boot sellers discussing it with each other while I&#39;ve been browsing, and also had the &#39;.... it goes for £x on the internet y&#39;know...&#39; from sellers, towhit I always want to ask whether they know how much it goes for by telephone, or by the post.

You bored too Ed ?
                            Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Belson @ 13 June 2003,14:54)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ 13 June 2003,14:48)]Still looking for a Raleigh &#39;Mag Burner&#39; in orange with white mags if anybody sees one. Or a Haro Freestyler. Yeah, I know. No chance.
                              Maybe...........

http://www.mybikesite.com/messages/b...sages/5514.htm

Wow if I&#39;d know that I could have got one 15 years ago and got my money back today, I could have probably made a better case to my parents that just &#39;I want one&#39;.

Oh well....
                              Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X