Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fixing a bowed record

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • fixing a bowed record

    i have quite decent (to listen to more than anything) jazz lp. but its very concave, i could probably fill it with a pint of milk its that bad.

    is there anyway to fix this and keep it playable?

  • #2
    Originally posted by awoo
    i have quite decent (to listen to more than anything) jazz lp. but its very concave, i could probably fill it with a pint of milk its that bad.

    is there anyway to fix this and keep it playable?
    no..........people claim to have various methods of fixing bowed/dished/warped records but in reality i think it's impossible...........occaisonally records will right themselves over time stood on a shelf.......certainly don't pour milk over it.........it doesn't help at all......just a myth...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by platerpus
      no..........people claim to have various methods of fixing bowed/dished/warped records but in reality i think it's impossible...........occaisonally records will right themselves over time stood on a shelf.......certainly don't pour milk over it.........it doesn't help at all......just a myth...


      If you want to play it and it's playable, no problems.
      www.futurefunk.net/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by awoo
        i have quite decent (to listen to more than anything) jazz lp. but its very concave, i could probably fill it with a pint of milk its that bad.

        is there anyway to fix this and keep it playable?
        Best buy some rice crispies or coco pops and make a meal of it.......
        You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

        Comment


        • #5
          ?!

          The leading horse is white
          the second horse is red
          the third one is a black,
          the last one is a green. . .

          And it's 3:41AM and I'm at work. . . WRONG.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's not impossible. I've fixed dished records although you have to do this very carefully because you can snap them this way. All you have to do is flex it back the other way. Gently. The trick is to keep doing it now and then over a period of weeks and evetually it will flatten out.

            Don't do it with 45s though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Stick it in the airing cupboard for however long it takes...under some heavy books.

              Worked for me!

              Oh and a 'fun' use for records is to stick them in the oven over a pot and melt them slightly around it. Then push 4 parts in and hey presto - instant 'cool' ashtray.
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sermad
                Stick it in the airing cupboard for however long it takes...under some heavy books.

                Worked for me!

                Oh and a 'fun' use for records is to stick them in the oven over a pot and melt them slightly around it. Then push 4 parts in and hey presto - instant 'cool' ashtray.

                i've just never gotten my head around this ashtray bizniz.......for a start there is a hole in the centre so ash will come out and secondly the thing is made of vinyl so when you stab a ciggie out on it it'll just melt...........very odd indeed.........no?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Viva Chiba
                  The leading horse is white
                  the second horse is red
                  the third one is a black,
                  the last one is a green. . .

                  And it's 3:41AM and I'm at work. . . WRONG.
                  Yeah, it's wrong.... but not the end of the world
                  Matt Hero

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Matt Hero
                    Yeah, it's wrong.... but not the end of the world
                    Yeah, at least you've got a bit of Demis to rock out to!!
                    MUSHRUMPS Daily party-prog MP3 blog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by platerpus
                      i've just never gotten my head around this ashtray bizniz.......for a start there is a hole in the centre so ash will come out and secondly the thing is made of vinyl so when you stab a ciggie out on it it'll just melt...........very odd indeed.........no?
                      Blob of plastercine in the hole fixes that.

                      And no they dont melt if you leave a ciggy in.

                      Not that I smoke but Ive given them to mates...
                      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sermad
                        Blob of plastercine in the hole fixes that.

                        And no they dont melt if you leave a ciggy in.

                        Not that I smoke but Ive given them to mates...

                        got ya......seems reasonable.......

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by awoo
                          i have quite decent (to listen to more than anything) jazz lp. but its very concave, i could probably fill it with a pint of milk its that bad.

                          is there anyway to fix this and keep it playable?
                          You can't permanently fix the warp but you can get a record clamp to fix the record down to your turntable and flatten it...think they're called Michell Record Clamps and are about £20-30....i've seen them about alot...and they enable you to play very warped records...i've seen it with my own eyes.... and by very warped i don't mean Jonathan King or Gary Glitter
                          Country be dyin like poor people do
                          Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

                          And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Can you fix it? yes you can!

                            I've had a few warped 12s over the years - this fixes them... instead of stacking them upright, I had a pile right in the corner of a room stacking up from the floor (like a deck of cards?). I have to say that these ones didn't mean a great deal to me... and in another pile or box, one record had warped - so, I put it near the bottom of the pile of stacked ones, left it there for a week or so and it was flat again when I took it out.

                            I spoke to someone once who said they pressed the centre out their warped record in the other direction of the warp, working around the label - and the record just shattered... just what I heard, anyway...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              yeah i thought maybe a stack will fix it, ill try that. i can push it back the other way but it just pops back!

                              to the bottom of a stack it goes!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X