Weekends Charity/Boot Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekends Charity/Boot Finds

Just going through my boot fair haul now this is the best of the bunch...

* Arthur Fieldler and The boston Pops plays the beatles (over the top orchestral arrangements of beatles hits, run of the mill but good

* Peter Nero - Piano Magic (all pretty good stand out track is I am the same guy (soulful Strut)) good instro piano slightly beat/funky.

* Elvis Sings from his movies - plus TWO recent hits (Camden, guitar man and Big Boss man are quite good but the kings comedy version of "Old Macdonald" is ace big band groovy with lines like "with a moo moo here and a moo moo there and when those cows got out of line, Hamburber Medium Rare")

Roger Coulam - Hammond Stero sounds...to sploil you (best dodgy Hammond Hits LP I have ever bought with most of the LP being funky and about 1/3 being plane wicked, stand out tunes are "Ode to Billie Joe", Dizzy, Time is Tight, Show Me and the awsome "Lets put out the lights")

Duke Grant and his Trio - Hammond Organ Dance Party (Guantanamera starts of dodgy and then grows into hammond fuelled groove monster the rest of the LP is so so)

Charlie Rich - Boss Man (Big Boss Man and I do My Swinging at home are the country with a bluesy groove numbers on this LP)

The Bruce Baxtor Orchestra - 50 Popular TV THemes (Instrumental versions of 50 TV THemes about 1/3 of them are funky and while the orchestrations don't set me on fire this is a solid value LP)

Helmut Zacharias - Tokyo Melody (most of this LP is so so, a funny funky version of I were a rich man, but fast foreward to the last track "Mexico Melody" for a fast paste groove monster)

Chaquito - Latin Colours (Pretty good version of Light my Fire, But Upa Negrina is a latin big band funk groover to die for)

Pepe Chaquita Brass - Tijuana Fiesta (Average version of Light my fire, "HOld me Tight" is a groover)

BBC Radiophonic Workshop - Out of this world (Sound effects LP hoping to pass this on to someone to sample it)

Harry Stoneham - Hammond my Way (So so hammond pops LP with the self penned "MOve IN" Being by far the best track)

Help yourself to Hammond - (so so versions of pop hit Venus being the best track)

These LPs are doubles that I wil be passing onto freinds

Jason Ryder Sound - Hair (More of a straight hammond Funk instrumtal LP then anything todo with the hair musical)

John Keating - Space Experience (You all know this LP!)

Helmut Zacharias - Light my fire (ok medium beaty version of pop hits House that Jack Built being the highlight)

Les Reed - International Pop Proms (Various orchestral pop hits, Satisfaction Is terrefic and good vibrations is pretty good as well)

WAR - Youngblood (flying machine is the groovy jazzy flute number)

MPS Various - The sound of great music (Inc Mr Clean Rhythm Combination & Brass which is german big band orchestral funk at its best)

Chico Lopez - South of the Border (Trouble Spot is one of my favourite Runes of all time an absolutely storming monster that defines the catrogy Speed Lounge for me)

Walker Brothers - Make it easy on yourself (All is ok but there version of Land of 100 Dances is the best I have heard so far one for the dancefloor)
    My Mixcloud

I have both the Zacharias and i kinda like both... kinda...

I went to no charities but blew a lot of money on a record fair, mainly cheapies but also some more pricey items such as the Modulo 1000 reissue, the deleted Erkin Koray Elektronik Turkuler reissue, Gabor Szabos Jazz Raga etc.

Among the cheapies was a couple french Paul Mauriat originals cuz they're sometimes good, some German stuff that appears to be exotica/tropical stuff, Shocking Blue's Ink Spots(is that the name?), Ventures plays tv themes such as UNCLE, Batman, Green Hornet and more....

I was drinking quite heavily later in the evening and have been working today so I have almost not listened to anything. I started out (as I always do) with the least promising so all I heard in my haul was:

A Roberto Delgado Bouzouki record - I bought it because we talked about it here on the forum some days ago. It didn't do it for me I can say... will give it another chance but probably end up getting rid of it.

Jerusalem by Daliah Lavi - because Nick Ingman and Brian Bennett had made some of the arrangements. It was a bit folksy pop stuff - nothing special in my opinion.

A Bobby Byrne Discotheque album on Command with Doc Severinsen, Tony Mottola and Dick Hyman in the band. Actually quite liked it. Decent 60s au-gogo type instros.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

albums for a quid and all mint :

Father and Sons -- Side A Ellis Marsalis with his sons Wynton and Branford
      Side B Von Freeman with son Chico. Nice album

Johnny Griffin - Return of the Griffin. Nice sax lead jazz

Soprano Summit - Chalumeau Blue - Kenny Davern and Bob Wilber. Lovely soprano duets - worked great on this mornings hangover. Lovely

Dick Morrissey - After Dark - more sax lead jazz and quite nice

Joe Jacksons - Jumpin Jive -- jump jive stuff. Had the track Jack You Dead on Single when I was I kid so this was a nostalgia buy. I like it though.

Plus 12" boogie fund by solar flair -- well its disco and cheesy just how I like it.

God its great to be buying records again after a year off.
      Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

was at the same record fair as the Brainbomb.

Bought me 2 copies of SBBs 3 LP (with From Whose blood, my blood feauting on Music to watch girls cry) Great Polish workout.

also 3 Peddlers singles if someone is interested
        let me be turned to stone / hello sophie
        thank god / working again
        have you ever been to georgia / manah
        all 3 unplayed from a radioarchive.

Sergio Mendes & 77 - homecooking LP

Quincy Jones - You´ve go tit bad girl Lp

Janne Schaffer - Andra LPn

Billy Cobham - Shabazz LP

Sweet Salvation - with the great version of "Rocksteady" LP

nothing that i´m gonna keep, so if anyone is interested PM me
        rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

What the heck Wickerman - you live near me???!!!
          Do I know you??

Comment

Hej!

or i guessed u meant the Solna fair?

I live in Skarpnäck

Dont think we know each other
            rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

A pretty good weekend on the market and boot-sale, for the following reasons…

LP
              The Last Poets: S/T (Douglas)
              James Brown & Famous Flames: Cold Sweat (King)
              James Brown: Soul Classics (Polydor)
              John Cameron: Kes (Trunk)
              Charles Mingus: Passions Of A Man (Atlantic 3xLP set)
              Sergio Mendes & Bossa Rio: Voce ainda nao ouviu nada! (Philips)
              Paddy Kingsland: Fourth Dimension (BBC)
              Various: BBC Space Themes (BBC)
              Arnie Lawrence & Children Of All Ages: Inside An Hour Glass (Embryo)
              Harry Belafonte: At Carnegie Hall (RCA 2xLP)
              Dick Schory’s New Percussion Ensemble: Music For Bang Baroom & Harp (RCA)
              Shelly Manne & Jack Marshall: Sounds Unheard Of! (Analogue Productions)
              Yevtushenko/Voznesensky: The Voices Of… (Monitor)
              Keith Jarrett: Fort Yawuh (abc/Impulse)
              Rajko Gypsy Orch/Hungarian Gypsy Orch: Hungarian Gypsy (Monitor)
              Bill Justis: Raunchy & Other Great Instrumentals (Sun)
              Martin Luther King etc: Great March On Washington, Aug 28, 1963 (Gordy)
              New Generation Singers: Flying High (Circle Of Sound)
              Andre Brasseur: The Fantastic Organ (RCA)
              Keith Hudson: 5 track Trojan 10” dubplate (Inbidimts)

7”
              The Miracles: Love Machine pts 1 & 2 (Motown)
              Tom Tom Club: Wordy Rappinghood (Island)
              Betty Wright: Where Is The Love (RCA)
              Shangri Las: Leader Of The Pack (Kama Sutra)
              The Move: Night Of Fear (Deram)
              Audience: Stand By The Door (Charisma)
              Bloodstone: Natural High (Decca)
              Al Green: Let’s Stay Together (London)
              Syreeta: Your Kiss Is Sweet (Motown)
              Shirley Ellis: The Clapping Song (London)
              Marvin Gaye: Got To Give It Up pts 1 & 2 (Motown)
              Edwin Starr: Stop Her On Sight (S.O.S) (Motown)
              Clarence Carter: Patches (Atlantic)
              Them: Gloria (Parrot)
              The Rattles: Geraldine (Decca)
              Margo: The Spark That Lights The Flame (Deram promo)

plus a strange Spear & Jackson promo 7" in a big folder - amusing but rather predictable Shakin' Stevens style jingle about 'getting the right tools for the job' or something of the sort - free to anyone who wants it...
              Last edited by wayne; 02-05-2005, 03:20 AM.
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Can I have the Spear and Jackson 7"? (You knew it'd be me, didn't you? )

Comment

Originally posted by wayne
                  John Cameron: Kes (Trunk)
                  kinda nice to think that an actual Trunk release was genuinely picked up at a carboot

Originally posted by wayne
                  The Rattles: Geraldine (Decca)
                  That's a quality 45 - top score!

not much for me - just that Malcolm Lockyer LP with a couple of meaty versions, a few Sham69 45s, a Catherine Wheel 12" and a local religious thing, which is pump (copyright: Sermad)
                  new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                    Can I have the Spear and Jackson 7"? (You knew it'd be me, didn't you? )
                    Damn & Blast! Why can't I get up earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by wickerman
                      Hej!

or i guessed u meant the Solna fair?

I live in Skarpnäck

Dont think we know each other
                      Nahh - I was in Lund, I live in Malmö.
                      Just afraid you were stalking me - that's a relief, I can put away my mace now.

Comment

not a bad day out - a few nice LPs and a pile of cheap 45s (the good, the bad, AND the ugly...)

LPs

Richard and Linda Thompson 'I want to see the bright lights tonight' (Island)
                        I'd forgotten how good this album was!

Fruupp 'Future Legends' (Dawn)
                        Brotherhood of Man 'United we stand' (Deram)
                        Ted Heath 'Big Band Bash' (Phase 4)
                        Oscar Calle 'Oscar del Cha Cha Cha' (Disques Pop)
                        Roger Coulam 'Hammond Stereo Sounds...' (Contour)
                        Mike Leander 'Together' (MCA)
                        Bobby Byrne 'The Discotheque Dance Album' (Command)
                        Junior Campbell 'Second Time Around' (Deram)
                        Yuri Nishimura 'Yamaha Spectacular' (Ad-Rhythm)
                        Osibisa 'Heads' (MCA)
                        Pioneers 'I'm Gonna Knock on Your Door' (Trojan)
                        The Tony Evans Festival of Hits (Rediffusion)

45's:

The Who 'Happy Jack' (Reaction)
                        Manfred Mann 'Sweet Pea', 'Fox on the Run', 'Up the Junction' (all Fontana)
                        Holly 'Paradise Lost' (Fontana)
                        Dave Allen 'The Good Earth' (Philllips)
                        Leonard Cohen 'McCabe and Mrs Miller' soundtrack EP (CBS)
                        Hortense Ellis 'Last Date' (Bullet)
                        Swamp Dogg 'The Other Man' (DJM)
                        Matumbi 'After Tonight' (Trojan)
                        Fermena 'Come What May' (Pama)
                        Billy Frazier 'Try Me' (Verve)
                        Simon Stokes and the Nighthawks 'Voodoo Woman' (Elektra)
                        Marsha Hunt 'Desdemona' (Track)
                        Ronnie Jones 'In My Love Mind' (Polydor)
                        The Downtown Collection 'Sunshine' (Strobe)
                        Medium Wave Band 'Radio' (Spark)
                        1984 'This Little Boy' (Big T)
                        Sweet Plum 'Let No Man Steal Your Thyme' (Middle Earth)
                        Chubby Checker 'Gypsy' (20th Century)
                        Amboy Dukes 'The Marquis' (Polydor)
                        The Inner Mind 'Sing My Song' (Hot Lead)
                        The Inner Mind 'What a Night' (Hot Lead)
                        Microbe 'Groovy Baby' (CBS)
                        Dupree and the Messengers 'Sexy Lil' (Polydor)
                        Johnny Jenkins 'The Voodoo in You' (Atco)
                        Second City Sound 'A Touch of Velvet - A Sting of Brass' (Major Minor)
                        The Gun 'Drives You Mad' (CBS)
                        Albert Washington 'Turn on the Bright LIghts' (President)
                        Rare Bird 'Sympathy' (Charisma)
                        Huddersfield Transit Authority 'Runaway' (Polydor)
                        'Keep Fit with Andrews' (Lyntone)
                        'Pledge : Let the Sun into Your Life' (Lyntone)

some homemade gooseberry jam

....and some really good jerk chicken, rice and peas!

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
                          Simon Stokes and the Nighthawks 'Voodoo Woman' (Elektra)
                          that's quite a nice one - shame the vocalist talks through it though - has it got the pic sleeve John? One of the first non-EP UK mainsteam releases to have one I think...?
                          Marsha Hunt 'Desdemona' (Track)
                          That's a great version, in fact I prefer it over the John's Children
                          1984 'This Little Boy' (Big T)
                          Never managed to find this one - is it a cover of the Pretty Things track on the flip? Any good?
                          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser

Joe Jacksons - Jumpin Jive -- jump jive stuff. Had the track Jack You Dead on Single when I was I kid so this was a nostalgia buy. I like it though..

I bought this LP when it first came out and loved it to bits. It got slated in all the music press of the day for not having anything original on it. An early dawning for me that your taste in music is your own and sod everyone else!

It sent me off digging for other swing stuff and I landed a 'loan' of the 18LP 'The Swing Era' Readers Digest box set from an uncle with a cracking version of Sing, Sing, Sing on amongst numerous other great swing instrumentals

It's a 'loan' I still have......

I think it's a great listen from start to finish and I'm gonna dig it out and MP3 some tracks this week. Thanx for the memory / reminder.
                            <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                              that's quite a nice one - shame the vocalist talks through it though - has it got the pic sleeve John? One of the first non-EP UK mainsteam releases to have one I think...?

Never managed to find this one - is it a cover of the Pretty Things track on the flip? Any good?
                              no picture sleeve on the Simon Stokes, I'm afraid - as you say, not a bad record though. And the 'Rosalyn' on the b-side of the 1984 single is no relation to the Pretty Things song, I'm sorry to say. In fact, it's not very good at all!
                              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Working...
                              X