Todays finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays finds

The Charities were pretty good today. Bought some stuff that's not really my taste but I know I can get some bucks on the Bay:

James Brown - Starportrait - 2 lp box set with loads of James' essential tunes on.

The Foundations - S/T - Don't know this band. From the cover I can see that they are a mixed race group. The music is pretty cool in places, very hammondy! Actually just gave it another listen and it's bloody good!

Various - The Wonderful World of Reggae - Loads of classic reggie tunes inc. 007, The Liquidator, etc.

Mowtown Memories - 16 Non Stop Tamla Hits - Loads of classics on here inc 6 by 6 by Earl Van Dyke. Listen to what the sleeve notes say;

"I make no apologies for bias in my opening choice of music. Via the American "soul" label Earl Van Dyke 's 6 by 6 was for well over 12 months my personal signature tune, which must have helped in creating a tremendous demand for the record (OFTEN SELLING FOR £3 OR MORE!!!!&#33

Also on here is Agent 00-soul by Edwin Starr and Festival Time and All Turned On by the San Remo Strings.

Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations - Classic soul as well as a decent version of Funky Broadway

The World of Donovan - England's answer to Bob Dylan, lots of acoustic noodling and whimsical lyrics.

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night - Apparently these guys were quite big in the 60's/70's. Anyone know them??

Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits - What can I say...she's got quite a good voice!

The Supremes A Go Go - More classic 60's Motown bizness.

Herb Alpert - Rise - The title track is great, been sampled but I can't remember who by.

The Pointer Sisters - That's a Plenty - Two good tracks on here, Grinning in your face and Love in them There Hills.

The Peddlers - Three in a Cell - Comin' Home Baby and On a Clear Day are pure hip hop fodder!

The Peddlers - Freewheelers - Keith Mansfield produced lp, some great moments.

The Ventures - Ventures Dance Party - Early Ventures lp that books for around £25. Typical jangly guitar, surf style music. not too bad.

Duane Eddy - Twistin and Twangin' and The Biggest Twang of them All - Both £20 ish lp's. Some one on Ebay will want them.

The Ventures - The Colorful Ventures - Really early Ventures lp and really twangy!!

The Mexicali Brass - The Work Song - The title track is an Ok version, nothing to get excited about though!

Cliff Richard - Kinda Latin - My first ever Cliff purchase and what a proud moment it was

The Ventures - Dance with the Ventures - Odd, but very catchy. Nothing like the other Ventures lp's I have. Definitely one of their best, great titles too, Pedal Pusher, Peach Fuzz, The Ninth Wave, The Chase, Rap City, etc.

The Super Guitar of Lightning Red - Found both of his lp's today. The Super funky one and the other one. Probably stick them on the Bay as a pair.

Jack Hawkins - Everything is Beautiful - Missing track from the Get Carter soundtrack 30-60-90, great!

The Button Down Brass - Another party - Not listened to this yet but I bet it's cack!

Ludacris - What's your Fantasy 12" and Southern Hospitality 12". Booming hip hop!!

and finally The Alan Caddy Orch - Excerpts from Jesus Christ Superstar ep.

That's your lot!

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]and finally The Alan Caddy Orch - Excerpts from Jesus Christ Superstar ep.
    Alan does a rather enjoyable version of 'Family Affair' on one of those Avenue seven inch 6 track eps.

Generally I way way way to lazy to type of lists of what I've been buying but what the hey. Two record shops, a bunch of charity shops and hot busy car boot sale with a distinct lack of vinyl (it was warp central anyway) brought me:

xanadu - sure shot (joe gibbs music) a 1980 'rapper's delight' cash in with a female rapper over the whispers 'and the beat goes on'. it's produced by joe gibbs too. and it's ace.

radio tokyo tapes volume 2 (enigma) early eighties comp of obscure l.a. bands. there's a great and very mad version of 'purple haze' with some korean woman doing the vocals. i love stuff like this.

incognito - jazz funk (ensign) white label promo of incognito's first lp. it even has a review from 'sounds' stuck on the plain sleeve. not my bag so i'll be ebaying it as i'm soon to be jobless.

laurie johnson - music from the avengers & the professionals (unicorn) i'll probably ebay this too

santa esmeralda (philips & fontana) i found two different twelve inches by these guys. they're both german. not sure if the band is german or french or spanish but there's a nice funk cheesy version of donovan's 'hey gyp (dig your slowness)' on one of them.

masahide sakuma (pan east) i think the band are japanese and the album might be called lisa. it sounds like a band called woo or maybe brian eno. the opening track is brilliant but the rest of the lp i've only skipped through.

bill withers - just as i am (a & m) first album. spare copy. ebay.

best of maynard ferguson white label. white sleeve. no info.

ramsey lewis - routes white label. white sleeve. no info.

steve gibbons band - any road up (polydor) just got a handytrax and this was my first discovery. 'natural thing' is funky white boy rock and is all about the joys of masturbation and the rhythm method.

tone loc - on fire (delicious vinyl) i needed this on twelve inch. funky ass party rocking sexy lady booty shaking hip hop.

I got a wad of seven inches too but they've all been cack so far with the exception of marvin's disco classic 'got to give it up'. Got 'after dark/the man in black' by cozy powell too. It ain't no 'skins'.

Comment

Okay in amongst the cack seven inches was the UK pressing of this. I hadn't heard of it before although I had seen the picture sleeve when browsing Blaxploitation.com a while back. What a cracking track. Is there anything else on Bradley worth getting? (don't say Gary Glitter   ) There were a few other obscure Bradley seven inches I left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ 15 June 2003,19:23)]i'll be ebaying it as i'm soon to be jobless.
        Sorry to hear that you are going to be out of work Blighty.

I hope you get a new job soon.

Mind you, with the weather we've been having lately, who wants to be working anyway?!
        He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Cheers Hayden. I'm not too worried. It's own fault for handing my notice in before I found another job but my sanity needed preserving. And as you said the weather's beautiful. Plus it'll give me time to get the rest of my 's sorted.

Comment

Been a good weekend for me too, started off in Manchester with Chris and friends with a curry and a good old natter.

Saturday morning involved dropping a bag of trades off with Mr Kingbee and walking out with a number of LP's and 45's, most noticeably Ruby Andrews "Black Ruby" on Zodiac. Cheers !!  

Back to the North East and a full compliment of booters with the boy Towny this morning. No shouting or fighting - both too hungover ! - just a quick dig through numerous crates.

I walked away with... (in addition to sunburn)

Nancy Sinatra "Last Of The Secret Agents" Reprise 45

I like this, first heard it on a German soundtracks comp many years ago. Didn't realise it existed on 45 until this afternoon.. A good 20 pence to start with...

Also found the following classics... Three for a pound.

Jazzy Dee "Get On Up" Laurie 45
            Oneness Of Juju "Every Way But Loose" Buddah 45
            Azymuth "Jazz Carnival" Milestone 45

Plus... my only twelve of the day. 50 pence.

Zapp "More Bounce To The Ounce" Warner Bros. 12"

...nice ! Loved this from the first time I heard it, probably when it was sampled on EPMD's "You Got's To Chill"...

Ken Boothe "Lets Get It On" Trojan LP

Usually, I run a mile from Ken's croonings. BUT! check out his version of Syl Johnson's "Is It Because I'm Black"... not sample-fodder - but a good, honest version.

Hamilton Bohannon "South African Man" Brunswick LP
            Gloria Jones "Share My Love" Motown LP
            Antonio Pedro Hatch The Cool Latin Sounds Of" Pye LP (1968)

One from our man Mr Hatch that had evaded the Vultures to date. Must update his Lords Of Lounge entry. First play through revealed a couple of tasty tracks...

And finally, to the kiddies section...

Rainbow "Music From The TV Series" Tempo LP 1975

"Up Above Streets and Houses, Bungle Flying High..." ... 'fraid the schoolyard rude versions aren't included, but there's one or two moments on this to raise a nostalgic smile... A track about 'pink rats' caught our attention...

Play Away "Bang On A Drum" BBC Records LP, the 1976 issue
            Play School "Music From Play School" BBC Records LP, 1972

Good to get the "Olly The Octopus" Play School track at last, this album is becoming very elusive, even for the UK Vultures...

So, not a bad day, time to kick-back and listen to some of the buggers !

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Oh, I nearly forgot...

As well as booting, we played a game called "Spot The Bad Tattoos"

... as you can imagine, in this weather, we saw many. Those most worthy of a mention include:-

The guy with an artist impression of both of his kids on his shoulder-blades. But done very badly... probably by one of the aforementioned infants.

Borstal-style tats, the best example was the inking of the expression "fuck the fuzz" on a bicep - in wonky indian ink. Baaaaad  

Numerous examples of women's names on arms and shoulders that had to be 'blacked out'. Who says love is eternal eh???

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

cos it was fathers day I decided to meet my sister and get a lift with her back to the folks.

Anyway...it was the london to brighton bike ride+multiple car pile ups+every other bastard going to the seaside so it took 4.5 hours!! Madness.

Anyways - had a lovely bbq and I decided to drive the scooter back up to the big smoke. I havent got my full license so I had to A rd it which meant I was going through all these lovely sussex villages.

I passed through one place and there was this massive 'crap for cash' shop. I glanced in and there were RACKS of vinyl! So I dumped the bike and had a look. The owner was out of his tree pished up like a proper yokel and he let me sift through it all.

I was pulling out EVERY James Last, top hits, contour etc etc to have ever graced the vv site - Including lots of could-be-tasty-never-seen-this type affairs.

Anyways I was rummaging away when I hear the door shut and the locks clink. I whizz around fearing a pulp fiction situation...only to see the old git locking the door from the outside! Before I could get his attention he was out of there like a shot!

I was bloody well stuck as the front door was chubb locked but luckily the back door had a key in it. I was in two minds - should I take the records and drop a fiver on his desk or just leave them?

Well I left them - Something told me too. Now I know where this nuthouse is, I can always go back - It looked like it had never been picked over and there must have been 2000 records there!

I do get myself into some scrapes
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]I whizz around fearing a pulp fiction situation...

...bring out the gimp...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ 15 June 2003,22:23)]Oh, I nearly forgot...

As well as booting, we played a game called &quot;Spot The Bad Tattoos&quot;

... as you can imagine, in this weather, we saw many. Those most worthy of a mention include:-

The guy with an artist impression of both of his kids on his shoulder-blades. But done very badly... probably by one of the aforementioned infants.

Borstal-style tats, the best example was the inking of the expression &quot;fuck the fuzz&quot; on a bicep - in wonky indian ink. Baaaaad  

Numerous examples of women&#39;s names on arms and shoulders that had to be &#39;blacked out&#39;. Who says love is eternal eh???

bloody mentalists up &#39;ere &#33;&#33;&#33;

Top booting action today with the vultch, me got secret suirrel BAROQUECHAMBERSWINGINBEATRARE &amp;CLEVELANDPRIVATEPRESSJAZZFUNKBEATRARE. nudge nudge wink wink
                    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ 14 June 2003,18:24)]Herb Alpert - Rise - The title track is great, been sampled but I can&#39;t remember who by.
                      That would be Notorious BIG - Hypnotize
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ 15 June 2003,23:23)]Oh, I nearly forgot...

As well as booting, we played a game called &quot;Spot The Bad Tattoos&quot;

Borstal-style tats, the best example was the inking of the expression &quot;fuck the fuzz&quot; on a bicep - in wonky indian ink. Baaaaad  

Numerous examples of women&#39;s names on arms and shoulders that had to be &#39;blacked out&#39;. Who says love is eternal eh???

Which brings me nicely onto the subject of women &#33;&#33;

where do these people come from ? you don&#39;t see them all week , then come sunday &quot;BANG&quot; the place is full of women halve dressed in ..well i can&#39;t really discribe it ...sort of lepeord
                        skin type body siuts with fake gold dripping from every part of there body. not to mention the tattoos

hilarious.
                        Whats you&#39;re style ?

Comment

As far as Libraries go, scored Electric Banana in a trade.
                          M-/M-. Cost me about &#036;40 US

An excellent &quot;Beatnik&quot; prose play LP called SEDUCTION that is super rare on a private label. It&#39;s in 1 of the &quot;Incredibly Strange Music&quot; books, don&#39;t know which 1, haven&#39;t seen a
                          copy for a few years. MP3&#39;s are on the site 1st listing

A sealed Permissive Polyphonics and a bunch of super rare
                          &quot;Exotica&quot; LP&#39;s, a rare Chaino LP as well.

Did quite well on the prices too, I&#39;m happy &#33;

Jack

Comment

Working...
                          X