TORO
    LOS PABLOS
    ZOKALO
    CEZAR
    AMAZONAS
    CHANGO
    DAKILA

Comment

ooh, not heard of any of those besides Amazonas - care to give more info? are the others Santana covers albums or other latinafrorock business?

edit - besides the Sounds Like Santana one of course - i think even i can guess that one!

Comment

Devadip also, Santana part of the band...
        Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

I'm a big fan of this stuff as anyone who got my Xmas CD Swap comp can probably work out. I was a bit shocked to see Amazonas going for £20 in Sounds of The Universe when I was in London last week especially as I left a £3 copy in Brighton.

The Chango album is storming, defo Santana-ish but without any of the mellow bits. Malo are pretty fine too but more Latin and less Rock. Azteca are not quite so hot.

The other names are mainly new ones to me but I'll be interested to check them out.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by tdlt02
            Devadip also, Santana part of the band...
            don't think Devadip was a band, because Devadip was the spiritual name given to Santana by his guru, so his later albums are under that name

Comment

Originally posted by wallace
              Super Santanaish,
              Great coverart.

Other 70s santanaish:
              SOUNDS LIKE SANTANA
              TORO
              LOS PABLOS
              Not these ones anyway:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I recognise the name Charlie Lo Noise though usually its with his partner Mental Theo.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup
                I was a bit shocked to see Amazonas going for £20 in Sounds of The Universe when I was in London last week especially as I left a £3 copy in Brighton.
                £20!!! i see it around for 50p all the time...better start buying them all up ...kinda confirms alot about the prices down London...suckers born every minute.... Not a bad LP if you're after an exact copy of Santana....Sapo rocks though and well worth picking up if it's cheap...not really ever seen it around though...wasnt there a track on one of the Soul Jazz Comps?
                Country be dyin like poor people do
                Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

They show up on eBay all the time. Goes for anywhere between $20-$40.
                  http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Malo sucks. (Maybe only one good track per lp.) Wasnt Malo Carlos' brother's band?
                    Yeah, Azteca is patchy, but when good, its feckin' good!

Wallace has a special mix cdr of some of these santaner bands (no covers)-thats likely the best way to go about listening to them. Most lps are patchy -Zokalo is Texan and only part of the lp is Santanaish.
                    Dakila is superb all way thru -Phillipinos who recorded in France and California.(Wallace has a trade copy of the US press.)

Comment

Malo sucks. (Maybe only one good track per lp.) Wasnt Malo Carlos' brother's band?
                      I nearly fainted when I read this. My first instinct was to have a conversation along these lines...

Me: "He's wrong!"
                      Wallace: "Who's wrong?"
                      Me: "Um. You."
                      Wallace: "Oh, him."

...but there's no point arguing taste.

(Sorry, I stole that joke from Asterix).

Anyway, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned El Chicano yet. They do a lot of corny cover versions but they have some assuredly banging joints also. My favourite LPs of theirs are "Celebration" and "Revolution (though I haven't heard them all).

Shouldn't be hard to get either.

Sapo has been on my wants list for a while but it generally goes for too much bank on the 'bay (presumably on account of the break).

And yes, Malo was led by Carlos' lil' bro Jorge.

Comment

The El Chicano you'll be wanting is "Viva Tirado".

Comment

The El Chicano you'll be wanting is "Viva Tirado".
                          Noted! Haven't seen that one.

Comment

uhm.. to add to the original topic - Sapo, particularly "Been Had", is worth having.. price went a bit bad a few years back due to some bootleg featuring, but about £15-£20 is a cool price and well worth it - a definite 'keeper'

Comment

been buying El Chicano 45s - the last one i got was Cubano Chant - nice version! it's a great tune, i love all the versions i have of it...

Comment

Working...
                              X