Blues is good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues is good.

Blues is my first luv in music it must be said and i always go back there from time to time, but one thing which has always puzzled me is how little blues gets shouted in places like this. Yeah sure you'll get the odd flirt by way of influence and indeed electric mud oft gets a mention (name of the VV mag indeed), but to me it does seem quite noticeable by its absence.

Simply my curiosity, please feel free to abuse me...........
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

ssssshhhh...they just don't understand it, mate!
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I was over-exposed as a kid.

My dad is very open minded likes all music everything from BB King to Robert Cray.

I was in the car with him and he was listening to some blues show on the radio that he likes but an Organ based isntrumental came on so he turned it off.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE
        Blues is my first luv in music it must be said and i always go back there from time to time, but one thing which has always puzzled me is how little blues gets shouted in places like this. Yeah sure you'll get the odd flirt by way of influence and indeed electric mud oft gets a mention (name of the VV mag indeed), but to me it does seem quite noticeable by its absence.

Simply my curiosity, please feel free to abuse me...........
        Didn't you see my chart?
        "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
          ssssshhhh...they just don't understand it, mate!
          lord have mercy.........well i tried.

HEY HEY WHAT ABOUT THAT FUNK!!!
          MODZ
          Hero No.9

Comment

blues was my first musical love i think, before getting to Led Zep etc, and then realising that most modern indie/rock bands were rubbish and finding out about soul, jazz, hip hop, etc

need to get back into blues, definitely. have been listening to plenty of r'n'b which i never use to like when i was into blues (thought it too smooth or too poppy) but i wasn't hearing the good stuff, mostly just mediocre stuff done by bluesmen.

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia

need to get back into blues, definitely. have been listening to plenty of r'n'b which i never use to like when i was into blues (thought it too smooth or too poppy) but i wasn't hearing the good stuff, mostly just mediocre stuff done by bluesmen.
              I tend to prefer the country type like Mississippi John Hurt - its a bit more idiosyncratic. By the time you get to the Chicago stuff it often becomes a bit too formulaic for my liking. A lot of it I tend to respect more than enjoy.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Are there any more John Mayall fans out there? I do have a soft spot for the blues, its great to play my bass too. Actualy all i can play is basic blues progressions and not that well.

Only started gettin the blues in the last couple of years so my collection has a lot of big gaps to fill.
                Last edited by Mr Muench; 06-05-2005, 04:11 PM.
                Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
                www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
                www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

My woman gave me the blues once and......oh what's the use?
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan
                    My woman gave me the blues once and......oh what's the use?
                    I'm hearin' ya stan, thats wat i'm talkin' bout.
                    MODZ
                    Hero No.9

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Muench
                      Are there any more John Mayall fans out there?
                      'Crawling Up a Hill' is a good one. as is the Hard Road LP IMO. don't really like the famous one (with Eric Clapton reading the Beano on the front), because i think his solos are pointless widdly crap. Peter Green was soooo much better...
                      i think the Looking Back album had some things of interest on too.

Comment

Looking back is pretty good and bare wires is a personal fave. Always liked the fact the he once lived in a tree house with running water, gas and electric. Rock & Roll..
                        Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
                        www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
                        www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

In fact I was enjoying Screamin' Jay Hawkins Constipation Blues just the other day - pretty weak album (...What it is) but that song is hilarious and Feast Of The Mau Mau is great... but as a whole it's weaker than the debut. He made some later album I like too - the one with a new version of I Put A Spell On You, and the great Ashes! When I bought that one I listened to Ashes several times a day for about two weeks!
                          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

John Mayall = blues for people who can't handle real blues........the guy was white for a start...........

Comment

Wilbert Harrison - Shoot you full of love ( album & Song ) & Soul Rattler ( Song, forget the album title) . Best funky blues from memory.
                              In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Working...
                              X