Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinylvulture - the Movie ? (Yet Another Impossibly Grandiose Idea)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinylvulture - the Movie ? (Yet Another Impossibly Grandiose Idea)

I had this notion sat on the bus last night. Remembered that some geezer was asking about vinyl digging docs. . .and I recalled there was the Allen Zweig one - "Vinyl" which diagnosed record collectors as rather sad chaps devoid of social skills. Also mentioned were a couple of efforts which tied in diggin' to the hip-hop scene.

What bollocks. ..I thought. . .because everyone knows I have astounding social skills and am the most non-belligerent, flower hugging person ever to post on this board.

Was pondering the merits of doing our own thang. . .as in, a short, or a feature length/30/45/60 minute long piece on UK digging, charities, car boots, eBay or something. I have no idea what form this would take or what it would cover. But it could be fun, and might perhaps present some alternative perspectives to the other docs.

Obviously this would require lots of planning, input blahblah and probably funding too. As far as the postproduction end is concerned. . .I can get basically everything for free (except for tape stock). Digitising, storage, offline, online, telecine and the sound mixing too. .. though obviously some people here might want a go at that!! This immediately trims 5 or 6 digits off the budget. I'd also be aiming to edit the thing. Not that I'm particularly shit-hot at editing, but I have access to all of the facilities and I think it could be fun.

Not sure about directing it. . . though the thought of wearing a beret and screaming throuhgh a megaphone does have a certain appeal.

What with the plethora of cheap wobbly DV camera available, it would be quite easy to just go out and shoot lots of stuff. .. however ideally I'd want it to look rather slick, and for the sound recording to be approaching broadcast quality. Obviously another vital aspect of this thing would be the music. . .and there's no shortage of talent here in that department!

Could be a good opportunity to. . .err. . ."represent", have a bit of fun and send it out to film festivals and view our efforts on the largeish screen.

Whaddayas guysandgals think ??

Originally posted by Viva Chiba
    I had this notion sat on the bus last night. Remembered that some geezer was asking about vinyl digging docs. . .and I recalled there was the Allen Zweig one - "Vinyl" which diagnosed record collectors as rather sad chaps devoid of social skills. Also mentioned were a couple of efforts which tied in diggin' to the hip-hop scene.

What bollocks. ..I thought. . .because everyone knows I have astounding social skills and am the most non-belligerent, flower hugging person ever to post on this board.

Was pondering the merits of doing our own thang. . .as in, a short, or a feature length/30/45/60 minute long piece on UK digging, charities, car boots, eBay or something. I have no idea what form this would take or what it would cover. But it could be fun, and might perhaps present some alternative perspectives to the other docs.

Obviously this would require lots of planning, input blahblah and probably funding too. As far as the postproduction end is concerned. . .I can get basically everything for free (except for tape stock). Digitising, storage, offline, online, telecine and the sound mixing too. .. though obviously some people here might want a go at that!! This immediately trims 5 or 6 digits off the budget. I'd also be aiming to edit the thing. Not that I'm particularly shit-hot at editing, but I have access to all of the facilities and I think it could be fun.

Not sure about directing it. . . though the thought of wearing a beret and screaming throuhgh a megaphone does have a certain appeal.

What with the plethora of cheap wobbly DV camera available, it would be quite easy to just go out and shoot lots of stuff. .. however ideally I'd want it to look rather slick, and for the sound recording to be approaching broadcast quality. Obviously another vital aspect of this thing would be the music. . .and there's no shortage of talent here in that department!

Could be a good opportunity to. . .err. . ."represent", have a bit of fun and send it out to film festivals and view our efforts on the largeish screen.

Whaddayas guysandgals think ??
    i dare you.

some nudity and explosions would be nice.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

?!

I have access to the facilities, so it wouldn't be too difficult to cobble something together. But like I said. . .I don't want to borrow my mates DVCam and shoot one man's wobbly POV odyssey down to the car boot.

It would need to good. . .nay, GREAT.

Decent music helps immeasurably so I wouldn't be worried about that bit. . .just getting hold of a decent cameraman, some radio mics / boom and producing some interesting collective ideas. . .are the only err obstacles.

Really.

I'm just putting me cards on the table and saying. . .this is what I've got. Obviously if enough people are interested it is something that could work. I can administer the post-production side no problemo, but productionwise I would like to work collaboratively (since I'm not confident enough to do it myself) and involve as many people here as would like to be involved.

For the record I'm actually not that much of a c%^* to work with and am pretty easy going and open to other people's ideas. . . (honest guv). I am not wanting to produce a vanity project or to control it. It would just be a fun and productive thing to participate in.

Comment

I think a lot of people take the record collecting 'scene' waaaaay too seriously. Sure, I'm mad about records but I seriously do not give a shit how 'civilians' or indeed, other collectors, perceive me and my addiction.
        I feel producers of such docs are simply seeking some kind of recognition/kudos, which is (for want of a better word) sad. Furthermore, we can't seem to get a newsletter or collective ebay auction together, let alone a friggin' documentary!!!! I'm amazed the CDR swaps move along so fluently....

Not setting out to diss such a motion VC, but that's how I see it.
        Good luck to anyone who has the dedication/finances to make a decent go of it.
        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

?!!

I kind of agree.

But that was rather my point. . .to take it from the mouth of the horse as it were.

It needn't be anything serious or analytical . . it could be totally irreverent. . as long as it's entertaining.

As we're all shelling out on plastic I thought it might be interesting to try and make something which relates our collective experiences. Pretentious as it may sound. It might just be more real and vital than trying to make Jaws 12. Or Rocky 7.

It isn't that hard to make something, really it isn't. . .nor necessarily costly. Don't overestimate the difficulties. . . it all pulls together in the editing!!

First you get a concept and pitch it to the funding bodies. They possibly cough up a few grand. If not, you just do it anyway. There are lots of people in "the industry" who are keen to help out on these types of projects.

Anyway, just turn on your TV. . .they broadcast any old shit.

Comment

I have to say that I share the same initial misgivings as Col, that actually creating anything more than hot air would be impressive.

That said, I enjoy watching things like Scratch and the Product Placement DVD so there is possibly a market for it (although I don't think that most of us are in the same league, with the same pulling power therefore, as Shadow, et al.). And with perennial pieces in the news about the death of vinyl/the death of vinyl being wildly exaggerated (it's the latter this week isn't it?) it'd be good to see something made by people who care. It'd be even better to shift the emphasis slightly to the music itself and try and get across why we do this rather than say, 'This is what we do. Look - some records I found!'

Good luck!
            Last edited by Rich Hero; 06-05-2005, 05:08 PM.
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

none of my business but for what it's worth - i think something like this is fair enough if you've got something worthwhile to say......but if you're just presenting yourself/selves as a 'digger' or 'collector' then you may as well be making an episode of carboot challenge or antiques roadshow.........nobody in the real world gives a shite about dodgy easy listening lps or dusty old soul 7"s found in fields or underneath piles of urine soaked trousers in charity shops........it's all been done before.
              Find a fresh angle to throw on it however and maybe that would change......

Comment

?!

To be honest I haven't got a clue. It was an idea I had sat on the bus.

I was saying: it's something I would like to do. It is something I have some resources to do.

However I do not want to / cannot do it alone.

And I have no idea what it should be "saying".

So really it is everyone's business. Well, everyone who wants to be involved. If anyone wants to participate then ideally I'd want to sit down and have a collective brainstorming session. It doesn't need to be a documentary, it could be a comedy, a fictional narrative. . .or a docu-drama. .. or errrr anything. Just because High Fidelity and those other docos exist. . .does not mean it has to imitate those forms.

-Actually a vinyl pisstake of the antiques roadshow with a pseudo moustachio'd expert could be quite entertaining. That's one idea already then!

It doesn't need to be profitable. . . I'm not aiming at selling it, just sending it to festivals. . .

I'm not imposing any limits on anything, I'm asking if anyone wants to try and do something on this topic. If we emphasise the music rather than the diggin' that might well be more interesting. Don't worry about Shadow and his ilk, it isn't necessary to imitate anyone else. . .or compete really.

I should really pop along to Brillo and see if anyone wants to do anything about this. . . for the record I'm not full of shit and really do have access to all of this stuff. Err. . .if I ask nicely enough!!

It seems like everyone has ideas about what this thing could be - or at least what it should NOT be - which are just as valid!!

Stop worrying about all of the bullshit and constraints and just IMAGINE. . .then deal with the bullshit later.

I'm not asking for anyone to sign on the dotted fuckin' line in blood. Just to think about this and possible directions it could go in. Then if people like the idea/s and want to go ahead with it. . . we (or me personally if noone else has any contacts) make it happen.

I'm talkin' the talk but I'm currently editing my 3rd short film (well actually it was directed by a mate - and so were the other 2 - so it's not "mine" ). So I walk the walk a bit. People are giving me their rushes, and I'm producing the masters. . .I have the technology. As it were.

Obviously a lot of people here are involved with djing and putting on club nights etc. . .why should the logistics of making a film be out of reach ?

Anyway, forget all the encumbering practicalities and errr IMAGINE.

Like when the teacher used to get you to lie down on your back in the gym at school, close your eyes and play some "stimulating" music. . . err. . .or was that just me ?!?!?!?
                Last edited by Viva Chiba; 06-05-2005, 05:45 PM.

Comment

phew........i was sooo worried about it all (especially worried about shadow) but you've really put my mind at ease now..........what a relief!

Comment

?!

Less of the negativity please. . ."Believe!" as archetypal media twat Barley would say.

Comment

Shadow makes me go all shakey like jelly

"Believe" in what mate?
                      Trying to be like Dj Shadow?
                      Or trying not to be like Dj Shadow?

Comment

?!

Just believe that if you have the will to do something, then something can be done.

I'm no longer awed by Mr Shadow, but I haven't seen his DVD so I'll not comment on that. Wouldn't mind taking a peek though.

If it's useful to be Shadowlike then fine. . .if it's not helpful then. . err. . .fine. I don't have any preconceptions about anything. . .

I was just talking about ideas.

Comment

I think what would be interesting, and very worthwhile, is something that put this into its full perspective, not only talking to collectors and diggers, but also to those involved in making new music inspired by (or literally ‘from’) the old, those reissuing the 45s and LPs, and those who made it in the first place: it’d be great to have some of the interviews with UK players and arrangers on the main VV site done to camera, and edited into something using archive footage (original ads, clips featuring library music, or from the films - like Psychomania and Kes - now having their OSTs (re)issued by the likes of Trunk) so you’d get the full story of the VV style music from a UK perspective (a bit in the vein of say Jazz Britannia or a – shorter! – Ken Burns’ Jazz type series). Obviously, diggers are a part of that story, as catalysts for the reissues and comps, but not that central a part, so I don’t know how that would fit with the initial idea.

In fact, it’s a project I’d love to do as a writer, and I have discussed a few extremely vague ideas with a few folk around the board on these lines, but I do think there’d be a small but growing market for a kind of UK (maybe European, if you were in a position funding wise to expand it) version of Joseph Lanza’s ‘Elevator Music’, David Toop’s ‘Exotica’ or the ‘Analogue Days’ book on the histories of early synthesisers: something that blended the history, background, development and influence of the kinds of music sought around this forum. That’s a much more demanding project (for a book, let alone a film or series) than I think you have in mind here, but a smaller documentary interviewing a few key players from the old days alongside some of those influenced by them, and a few folk like Jonny Trunk or the Licorice Soul bunch mixed in with some archive footage & a good soundtrack might be a useful way of ‘whetting the appetite’ for a better-backed full scale project later.

Just a few ideas, and I might be drifting well off the point, but I think this COULD be something worth doing, and using the collective skills of this forum (the famous VV collective knowledge and contacts are a plus, our uncanny ability to organise piss ups in breweries but not CD comps and ebay auctions is probably a minus) might be a good starting point. I don’t think collecting’s all that interesting as a subject in itself (unless you do a kind of quirky 40 Minutes style thing, where it becomes a filter for a certain kind of British eccentricity…like the ‘Men & Sheds’ books that are doing the rounds of publishers at the moment) but WHAT is collected might be a very rich subject, if approached in the right way. But that’s much more than the required two pen’orth from me, so if you want me I’ll be off checking my shed and watering my allotment…as you do.
                          Last edited by wayne; 06-05-2005, 06:38 PM.
                          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Personally, VC - go for it. I think Wayne is right though - either it should be a docu about the music (although that would face the problem of 'defining' VV music...) or a more 'eccentric' type look at record collectors.

I'd actually be more interested in the latter but it would it would take some serious thinking to make it interesting ie try and find a collector (or more than one, ideally) that is an interesting character. And it would still be tough to make decent.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. In fact, it should. I'm more than up for offering some kind of help with this VC, or even just for chatting about it in a bit more detail. If nothing else, it would be fun to chat about.
                            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I love it when these sorts of threads come up on forums, and I love it even more when they get some support and actually get off the ground. I think it's an excellent idea - as to what form it takes, well, that'll work itself out over time I think, and if I can add any of my meagre talents / slightly out of date contacts (and even more meagre knowledge) to the project then I'd be really happy to ...
                              Last edited by Dr Rubberfunk; 08-05-2005, 09:45 PM.
                              FunkyDown
                              Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X