Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psyche guidance

Hi,
    I picked up the streetnoise LP by brian auger and co. A few weeks ago after some o you guys recomended it to me a while ago, also picked up straight ahead by brian auger and the oblivion express in a trade. Really liking both o these LP's. Bumpin on sunshine and straight ahead, are both exellent tunes. Lovin all of streetnoise to. gonna pick up open some time in the near future next. thanks for the suggestions

could anyone recommend any further psyche listening to continue my aural journey?

I picked up an old buddah sampler LP the other day, it's gotta nice tune on it by the 'brooklyn bridge' called 'down by the river' any one know what the rest of the LP is like?

I've really been digging 'the cyrkle' after picking up a reissue of 'the minx' soundtrack. I picked up the LP after hearing the mad sitar and screaming madness of the tune 'nicole'. I have ended up loving the whole LP. Picked up what I think is thier debut LP neon which I would say is well worth a few £'s, contains a few beauties.

Anyone recommend red rubber ball? or any other soft psyche LP's? bonnie and wendy's genesis I hear is good?
    Earfuzz

i really like the thorinshield selftitled one. it's something i think you call softpsych with really nice tunes on it. it's a bit like the cyrkle but a bit less pop.
    the "red rubber ball" is okay, but it just has no "the visit" on it!
    if you like brian auger, you should pick up "closer to it" and "live oblivion vol. 1" too. when you allready liked "straight ahead" you will dig these two aswell! but don't compare them with streetlife...but "whenever you ready", "voices of other times" and "don't look away" are killer tunes!
    Last edited by effi_deep; 09-05-2005, 11:38 PM.
    Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

thorinsheild wierd name have to find out more?

Have to keep an eye out for those auger LP's too

I've seen a CD version of 'the minx' soundtrack that's got alot of unreleased material on it looks interesting.

cheers for the tips,

oh yeah and the visit , lovely stuff
      Earfuzz

Comment

As effi said, Red Rubber Ball is the Cyrkle's first, and while I absolutely love it you couldn't call it psych - it's a pretty straight ahead folk-pop album. Neon is their second and really quite mellow with a hint of sitar now and again.

I haven't heard The Minx OST but it sounds like it might be quite different from their first two - who was the arranger on that one?

Having said that you may dig the first Cyrkle album but psych it definately aint.

Jamie.
        https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

I thought they were part of an american music movement that happened sometime in the 60's or 70's thats known as Soft-Psych?

the minx soundtrack is all written arranged and produced by 'tom dowes' of 'the cyrkle' the songs on the album vary in style but on the whole sounds like the best bits of the neon LP. The track 'Nicole' is a bit of a beast very drug influenced, whole LP is exellent though it was released on 'flying dutchman' in 1970
          Earfuzz

Comment

Originally posted by maWhie
            I picked up an old buddah sampler LP the other day, it's gotta nice tune on it by the 'brooklyn bridge' called 'down by the river' any one know what the rest of the LP is like?
            I think this is on "Bridge is Blue" LP. From memory the arrangements on this LP are pretty good but I don't listen to it much on account of the vocals, which I hate.

There is a decent "For What It's Worth" on this LP anyway. In fact, there are many great covers of this song.

Comment

If you dig 'Neon' I can recommend these ones:

Free Design: The first three albums are great.
              Electric Prunes: I love their second (?) album 'Underground'
              Syd Barrett: Pretty much anything.
              Love Exchange: Their self-titled album on Tower is great. I think Sundazed reissued it.
              Love Generation: The American 60's group not the German (?) 70's one although they have their moments too.
              Jeff Monn - Reality: The singer from the Third Bardo goes all orchestral but still sounds like he's sneering.
              Beacon St Union: I like their first two.
              The Paupers - Magic People: I only have this one album of theirs but it's really damn good and not very far away from the Cyrkle. I think they went on to become Lighthouse (but don't hold that against them ;-).

Soft-psych is a pretty broad definition and i'm sure you could argue that a few of the one's I listed were 'Sunshine pop' or whatever but it's about really whatever grabs your ears. There's a lot of great music that could conceivably fall into the category so i'm sure you're going to find some gems.

You could do a lot worse than buying some of the later period Monkees albums too!

Jamie.
              https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Originally posted by maWhie
                bonnie and wendy's genesis I hear is good?

get yourself a copy of this (there's a reissue which should be pretty easy to find...), you won't be disappointed!
                http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Paradise

Love Exchange: Their self-titled album on Tower is great. I think Sundazed reissued it.
                  Love Generation: The American 60's group not the German (?) 70's one although they have their moments too.
                  Jeff Monn - Reality: The singer from the Third Bardo goes all orchestral but still sounds like he's sneering.
                  The Paupers - Magic People: I only have this one album of theirs but it's really damn good and not very far away from the Cyrkle. I think they went on to become Lighthouse (but don't hold that against them ;-).

Soft-psych is a pretty broad definition and i'm sure you could argue that a few of the one's I listed were 'Sunshine pop' or whatever but it's about really whatever grabs your ears. There's a lot of great music that could conceivably fall into the category so i'm sure you're going to find some gems.

You could do a lot worse than buying some of the later period Monkees albums too!

Jamie.
                  I was considering writing a list of artists but i think Sergio pretty much covers it...some great LP's have been recommended on this post so far....but i'll throw my ten pence worth in and suggest you check out Vernon Joynsons reference books...Fuzz Acid and Flowers (U.S.) and Tapestry of Delights (U.K.)...basically although you might not agree with some of Vernon's opinions about how good an LP is,at least you'll have a rough idea on whats out there...plus a great basic idea of the feel of an artist....and some BRILLIANT discography/history/facts....
                  Country be dyin like poor people do
                  Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

Comment

I think the Borderline Books site (home of Fuzz Acid...etc) is offline now, but there's an archive here:

http://www.soybomb.com/BorderlineBooks/

too many artists!!
                    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Props for picking up streetnoise but this is deffo not psych or in the broad definition of psych.

Its fusion!
                      Last edited by sermad; 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM.
                      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
                        I think the Borderline Books site (home of Fuzz Acid...etc) is offline now, but there's an archive here:

http://www.soybomb.com/BorderlineBooks/

too many artists!!
                        Cheers for that link John and yes bloody hell where does 1 begin......
                        MODZ
                        Hero No.9
                        Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                        THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, and forgive me for being stupid on the catogorisation front, Im stupido!

well definitly check some of these guys out,

The paupers, sound intersting as do the others, time to investigate
                          Earfuzz

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Paradise

Jamie.

Monkee's definetly, I picked up head a while ago for 50p (bargain)A few exellent tunes on this
                            Earfuzz

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                              Props for picking up streetnoise but this is deffo not psych or in the broad definition of psych.

Its fusion!

I'm afraid Mr Auger will disagree with it being called "fusion" !

It's jazz-rock with a groove, man!

Comment

Working...
                              X