Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Car Boot Finds

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weekend Car Boot Finds

    Still a record fair virgin and like a vinyl version of Luke Rheinharts 'Dice Man' my weekly listening has; for two weeks, been determined solely by donations from cars parked in the MK Bowl on a Sunday morning.

    Last Week:
    Bootsy's Rubber Band - Stretchin' Out In
    Jose Feliciano - Fireworks
    Moody Blues - In Search of The Lost Chord
    Free - Live! (Air Mail)
    AWB - Soul Searching
    The World of Amen Corner (liked the Expressway track on a recent Mojo CD)
    BBC Sporting Themes (Clean copy at last )
    Terry Reid - The River
    5th Dimension - The July 5th Album
    Pentangle - Basket of Light
    Bosworth Backgrounds - BLP 146 and BLP 145- Romantic Strings Dramatic Sounds / Hard and Fast / Mellow Moods


    Basket of Light: Thanks to various VV'ers for Pentangle recommendation. This was the only one from the only 'dealer'.(If a man with about six crates counts as that). 1st time he's been there....spoke to him about the mentions the LP's had on the site...as I walked away he said I could have it for a fiver (from 12). 'Mazin' what a little banter can do....

    Bosworth Backgrounds. I have about a dozen library LP's from boots...all dreadful.,... at last a couple of good ones!! Highlights are Anthony Mawer tracks on both (Restive, Soul Power, Fast Driving) a great Tony Kinsey (Devil's Delight) and some happy Syd Dale ones like Birdcage Walk. Dead chuffed with these.

    And I love Terry Reid's voice - if any VV'ers could suggest other LP's of his I could trawl internet for I'd be grateful. (Another LP I bought after reading VV'ers mention him)


    This week:
    Two Steel Band LP's - The Invaders and Tony Charles
    Kris Kristofferson - Me and Bobby McGee
    Leon Russell - Carney
    Fontana Concert Orchestra - Portrait of Bob Dylan
    Alan Moorhouse - McCartney, Mendelssohn and Mancini
    The Latin Sound of Henry Mancini
    Jobete Sampler - Top Ten Story in Sound
    Smokey Robinson - Smokey the Writer - Sampler (same as above)
    Jerry Allen - The Hands of Jerry Allen & Party Time
    Mike Gill - The Organ Sounds of

    I like me organ. Looking forward to playing the Jerry Allens and Mike Gill which comprises a small Alamo set.

    Nothin' 'wow' - but surely 'new music' is anything you haven't heard before?

    Those are the results of the MK jury...back to you in London Terry......
    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ian Townsend
    I love Terry Reid's voice - if any VV'ers could suggest other LP's of his I could trawl internet for I'd be grateful.
    Don't know about LP's but there's an MFP compilation of his work called 'The Most Of Terry Reid', and another MFP compilation of Mickie Most productions (shouldn't be too elusive) that both include 'Superlungs My Supergirl', his cover of the Donovan song, which is great. In fact, so good that I played it at the last BoB.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

    Comment


    • #3
      Forgot to mention. A really nice bloke selling his entire video collection of music stuff recorded from the television over the years because he's moving to Spain. All lovingly labelled and numbered...picked up four that appealed.

      1. Joni Mitchell at Wembly 83 / Marvin Gaye in Concert 76
      2. Hall & Oates: at Apollo with Ruffin and Kendricks / The Liberty Concert 85
      3. Jimi Hendrix at Monterey 67 / South Bank Show Special 89
      4. Jazz 625: 3 Episodes: Ben Webster / Stan Tracey 64....Jimmy Smith 65....Joe Pass 91

      Watched the Jimmy Smith this afternoon and it's ace. How still can someone be when their fingers are moving so damned fast?

      Had tickets to see Hall & Oates in '75 and they pulled because Daryl Hall had a sore throat. Regrets I've had a few...
      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rich Hero
        that both include 'Superlungs My Supergirl', his cover of the Donovan song, which is great. In fact, so good that I played it at the last BoB.

        Ahhh... many thanks.

        That's the one I saw on some VV playlists. I've only played 'River' once and will definitely be spinning it some more...but 1st impression was a fantastic voice that needs better material.

        Cheers.. I'll have a trawl ......
        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ian Townsend


          And I love Terry Reid's voice - if any VV'ers could suggest other LP's of his I could trawl internet for I'd be grateful. (Another LP I bought after reading VV'ers mention him)
          As Rich Hero suggested Superlungs is on an MFP comp. The original LP is self titled from 1969 and is on Columbia. Not sure what the going rate is, depending on the dealer/shop and how close he keeps to the book price. Good LP anyway. Also check out his debut - Bang, Bang You're Terry Reid (US only I believe, on Epic). Good cover of Season of the Witch on that one.

          I got some decent library's today also at the carboot (9 in total, 3 of which I'll not be keeping). The most pleasant surprise being RKM Beat - Action (RKM 01). The year 1980 did not fill me with confidence but pretty good throughout. A couple of Brutton's also worthy.

          A few doubles as well, Kelly's Heroes and John Keatings Sound Galactic.

          A few other things of which I'm too lazy to list!
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ian Townsend
            Ahhh... many thanks.

            That's the one I saw on some VV playlists. I've only played 'River' once and will definitely be spinning it some more...but 1st impression was a fantastic voice that needs better material.

            Cheers.. I'll have a trawl ......
            AWWW!!! I love the River album...first couple of tracks on each side are so beautiful...with trippy drumbreaks....emotional and headnodding for sure...i personally think the material is perfect for his depth ....but horses for courses as they say....
            Nice pick with the Free - Live...what about the terrific drumbreaks in Alright Now...much better than the original....I recommend all VV'ers to check this album if only for the beginning drumbreak of A N
            Moody Blues and 5th Dimension.....LOVELY PRODUCTION

            Some top finds....what do you think of Leon Russell? He kinda makes it in a few songs but normally never quite does it for me...something always seems to spoil it if you know what i mean...there have been a few exceptions in his career though obviously
            Country be dyin like poor people do
            Hospitals be closing...doors to me and you (Lopazz - Blood)

            And here's some other stuff that i get up to...

            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serio...796469?fref=ts

            Comment


            • #7
              I hit a few flea markets this weekend and found:

              Ravi Shankar - In New York, The Genius Of..., at the Monterey Pop Festival, Two Raga Moods, The Exotic Sitar and Sarod LPs
              (the dealer was surprised when I bought all his Shankar LPs)

              Public Enemy - Takes a Nation of Millions LP - brings back memories

              Prince Buster - 10 Commandments 45 (spare copy)

              and a ? and the Mysterians 'Make You Mine' 45 on Capital - kinda poppy vs. the other 45s I have by them, but still good.
              http://three-sixty-five45s.blogspot.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Shiftless When Idle
                AWWW!!! I love the River album...first couple of tracks on each side are so beautiful...with trippy drumbreaks....emotional and headnodding for sure...i personally think the material is perfect for his depth ....but horses for courses as they say....
                Nice pick with the Free - Live...what about the terrific drumbreaks in Alright Now...much better than the original....I recommend all VV'ers to check this album if only for the beginning drumbreak of A N
                Moody Blues and 5th Dimension.....LOVELY PRODUCTION

                Some top finds....what do you think of Leon Russell? He kinda makes it in a few songs but normally never quite does it for me...something always seems to spoil it if you know what i mean...there have been a few exceptions in his career though obviously
                Different music for different times of day and states of...ahem...being. Played the River again late last night and yup! it was just perfect and gettin' better as the Ma's and Pa's would say...definitely going to MP3 some and bed them next to Gram Parsons / Crosby Stills / Joni etc...a whole Laurel Canyon 9 yards. Got the first CSNY at a charity a while back and love that.

                On that note...Leon Russell...sounds a lot like Gram (who I love). I was raised on the Carpenters version of 'This Masquerade' so it's interesting hearing a different voice on it. And 'Tightrope!!' Jeez....Was David Essex sued for stealing it and renaming it 'Lamplight'?? Bloody should have been.

                Loving the 5th Dimension one but not got round to spinning Free yet....

                Short Tale: Paul Kossof was hospitalised shortly before his death at Northwick Park hospital in Harrow near my school. A large number of our loon panted, hi-waisted, Afghan wearing sixth formers would shuffle over to see him in their lunchtimes to wish him well and pay their respects and candles and joss sticks burned in their common room when he passed away.

                I love the randomness of what you find when booting and the way it spins you off in new directions....

                I love me Sundays
                <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Campag Record
                  The most pleasant surprise being RKM Beat - Action (RKM 01). The year 1980 did not fill me with confidence but pretty good throughout.
                  Another secret squirrel bites the dust! haha!

                  Only joking, this is a big library fave of mine... RKM is Roland Kluger Music... there are a couple of blinding El Chicles-style bits on the B-side... recommended! licenced in the UK by Studio G.

                  Good work fella!
                  If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    no slummin it at car boooties but just got nearly 30 45s through the post most i bought blind, plenty of c+w, even a fame sound alike and shit slow soul toons but got a few gems to...

                    miki,, swan lake gnp 45 neva seen this version which is flippin the best club version i heard and is mikki dallion?? the adverts killin it though

                    jimmy williams ..half a man..abc ace r+b dancer

                    belive it or not len barry..funky night amy 45 fat fast drums ace club funker blue eyed style

                    magnificent ones..ill see ya..katie the great ok 74 funk souler

                    ricky allen..ouch..age ace r+b
                    les crane different drummer..breaks
                    junior wells..up in heah
                    junior wells..you ought quit that/ cramp ya style..bright star 2 classsic chicagos r+b sides
                    kris peterson..get on down..stormy
                    jimmy castor..block party..jetset £20 northern

                    but the mutha fukkin fat ass tune that looks rare n sound fat, top find of the batch is
                    joy..your mama..paula white demo ace pyschy funk with stabbin hammond and ace drumbreaks n stuff

                    big dissapointment is these what i thought were certs
                    duke turner..give me some sugar baby..spinning top borin slow soul looks fukkin ace
                    floyd morris mendocrimno every tune i got by him has breaks etc not this though
                    same with wayne cochrane on king i got 3 ace tunes by him, this is shite

                    you live n learn
                    'Swear I am evil when Ive had a few'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nosoul
                      miki,, swan lake gnp 45 neva seen this version which is flippin the best club version i heard and is mikki dallion?? the adverts killin it though
                      yeah, it is Dallon - he's cool

                      Originally posted by nosoul
                      but the mutha fukkin fat ass tune that looks rare n sound fat, top find of the batch is
                      joy..your mama..paula white demo ace pyschy funk with stabbin hammond and ace drumbreaks n stuff
                      this rounds off my v.v. summer swap cd pop-pickers! go get it on ebay for no more than $5 now!
                      Last edited by Col Wolfe; 16-05-2005, 05:50 PM.
                      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One solitary find from my first visit to the flea market in the centre of Brussels. For work reasons this looks as though by the end of the year, it is going to be my local, so thought I’d check it out whilst in town for the weekend. Historically I am not someone who has had the time or the opportunity to visit charity shops or car boots, so I am on new territory here. Clearly gonna have to do more background research to find out if there is any funky Burt Kaemfert or Ted Heath tunes.

                        Anyway, this stood out for the cover version of “Shaft”, which ain’t half bad. The bonus though is a surprisingly funky version of “Volare”. All wah wah guitar and funky piano. I was not expecting that.

                        But then I am sure you all know that anyway.

                        Last edited by Warren; 16-05-2005, 07:56 PM.
                        www.sliderecordshop.com

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X