Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Jimmy Oddman
    replied
    Just noticed I've got the Johnny Howard And His London Brass LP sitting there ready for get rid of. PM me if anyone wants it inc. versions of Mrs Robinson, Gentle On My Mind, Maxwell's Silver Hammer etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Hero
    I do have a spare of 'The World of Johnny Howard' (at least one).... just in case there is anyone desperate. It's in my storage unit right now, but can be recovered if I can remember which crate it is in !
    If it's the stereo version, I wouldn't say no - I've only got the mono one!

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    Definitely among the finest 'Ode To Billie Jo' versions out there - staggeringly good! One day some smarty-pants will couple it on 45 with Zack Laurence's 'Mississippi Delta'...

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hero
    replied
    I do have a spare of 'The World of Johnny Howard' (at least one).... just in case there is anyone desperate. It's in my storage unit right now, but can be recovered if I can remember which crate it is in !

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Len Hunter was also the resident MD on the Hot Hits LPs - I think the Johnny H band were used as the backing musicians sometimes.

I think it's Barry Morgan on drums, maybe (but not definitely) Russ Stableford on bass, Steve Gray on organ, and a bunch of other session legends dotted about the place. Virtually everyone played for Johnny Howard at some point in their career!

Johnny started his career as resident bandleader at the notorious Orchid Ballroom in Purley (where my Auntie and Uncle did their courting!) - you can still book the Johnny Howard Band for gigs for around three grand a go, though I bet they don't do Ode To Billie Joe any more......

Leave a comment:

• Tommo of Sprowston
    replied
    'World of. . .' is the big one for Johnny Howard, from what I can make out - would that I'd been able to find a copy for myself! I've got an album called 'Dance Craze' of his from 1975 on Contour which Happy Monster recommended on these very pages many months ago - that's got one or two decent things on it too, and is worth picking up for theepence ha'penny if you see it.

Leave a comment:

• platerpus
    replied
    i wish i didn't know this but..Howard put out a couple of albums on the Decca Phase4 (i think) label and 'the world of' consists of tracks taken from said two albums...lineup?....gawd knows....Barbara Moore,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.

Leave a comment:

• someblokecalledfuz
    started a topic The world of Johnny Howard & his Orchestra

The world of Johnny Howard & his Orchestra

Right, bit of a revelation here ( For me anyway... ) slim pickings in the charities recently so took a gamble on 'The world of Johnny Howard & his Orchestra' on Decca SPA65, 1970. Only gambled because of the track choices and the mention of Len Hunter ( Who is a mystery to me, but does that great funky version of the Radetsky March ), the cover is a picture of who I can only supose is the man himself looking spectacularly un-groovy in a pastel cardigan and tie...

Sugar, sugar
    Light my fire
    Can't take my eyes of you
    yellow submarine
    I'll never fall in love again
    Downtown

Aquarius
    Ode to Billy Joe
    Mrs Robinson
    Winchester Cathedral
    Sunrise, sunset
    The last waltz

Arrangers Steve Grey, Pete Smith & Len Hunter

Guess what I really enjoyed the album, groovy big band, beaty in places, wordless vocals on a few, punchy, inventive and fresh versions...

No information on the players in the orchestra etc... haven't the time or patience to google Johnny Howard - waaaay to many results.

Anyone have recomendations for other albums of his, Know who is playing on these, any info... etc ?

Who he?
Working...
X