Charity Shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity Shops

I know this has been touched on before, but has anyone else noticed the price rises in charities ?
    I`ve been going into my local help the aged for the past 5 years or so & prices have always been around the 75p or 99p mark for albums. I`ve had some great stuff over the years; Original Beach Boys albums, all Bob Marleys UK albums at 75p each, some blues rock, jazz, whatever, usually in great nick too.
    I breezed in there Saturday, only to find that all the LP`s had gone from their usual sub £ price to three quid each, even for stuff like Wham! or chart compilations. There was even a 1980`s Best Of Mark Bolan & T-rex for £4.99!

Later the same day i was in a town I don`t normally visit. I found a charity (a local one, not one of the national chains) and checked out the vinyl. It was all Val Doonican & Perry Como so i was making to leave when the dude behind the counter said "If you`re interested in records we have some collectors ones in a box here behind the counter"
    Magic words eh? So the heart was racing as I opened this box to find.......Duran Duran, Bros, Frank Ifield and so much less. And the prices !! Get this - a standard UK issue Kylie single (i think it was locomotion) complete with dog eared pic sleev - £4.50 !!!!

Looks like my days of charity Digging are over, at least for new sounds. I don`t mind risking a quid on something I`m not familiar with, but i`m not gonna chance four or five on it
    "I`m not saying that i think guitars are better than women, but i don`t know too many guys who fell out of love with their guitar" - Les Paul

Originally posted by Teessider
    I know this has been touched on before, but has anyone else noticed the price rises in charities ?
    I`ve been going into my local help the aged for the past 5 years or so & prices have always been around the 75p or 99p mark for albums. I`ve had some great stuff over the years; Original Beach Boys albums, all Bob Marleys UK albums at 75p each, some blues rock, jazz, whatever, usually in great nick too.
    I breezed in there Saturday, only to find that all the LP`s had gone from their usual sub £ price to three quid each, even for stuff like Wham! or chart compilations. There was even a 1980`s Best Of Mark Bolan & T-rex for £4.99!

Later the same day i was in a town I don`t normally visit. I found a charity (a local one, not one of the national chains) and checked out the vinyl. It was all Val Doonican & Perry Como so i was making to leave when the dude behind the counter said "If you`re interested in records we have some collectors ones in a box here behind the counter"
    Magic words eh? So the heart was racing as I opened this box to find.......Duran Duran, Bros, Frank Ifield and so much less. And the prices !! Get this - a standard UK issue Kylie single (i think it was locomotion) complete with dog eared pic sleev - £4.50 !!!!

Looks like my days of charity Digging are over, at least for new sounds. I don`t mind risking a quid on something I`m not familiar with, but i`m not gonna chance four or five on it
    Don't get me started.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

I think it depends where you go.

I picked up a pile of Polish jazz LPs plus some other obscure bits in a charity on Saturday @ 50p a piece (they'd "just come in" - the other magic words....)
      Endless Tripe

Comment

I too have noticed the recent price hike, but you have to keep the faith, there are still good shops out there! My mate picked up a BBC Library record for 30p at the weekend from a charity. He only beat me too it as id decided to hang out side and finish my fag before going in.
        Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
        www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
        www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

Originally posted by Teessider
          Why? Purchase yourself a portable and listen as you go.

I mean, it's for charidee innit, and £4.99 ain't bad at all. Always a fascinating gripe, the charity huge inflation of prices. !

Comment

agreed with Belson....3 or 4 quid for a record isn't exactly top whack and it all goes to charity...win some lose some...i know a lot of people who have found heavy pieces in charities over the years (including myself) but it's all for charity...so the notion of 'getting one over' on oxfam or sue ryder has always been something i've struggled with...how many people here would come clean if they found a moody in a charity...and hand over 20 or 30 quid instead of the 2 or 3 they were asking for...?
            yeah sure most of these charity shops have wonky pricing systems but let's face it - so do a lot of dealers!

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
              Why? Purchase yourself a portable and listen as you go.

I mean, it's for charidee innit, and £4.99 ain't bad at all. Always a fascinating gripe, the charity huge inflation of prices. !
              sad but true, but when you got a shop wackin' a mint price on everything from the rrpg then one does get a little perturbed specially when the records been used as a coaster.
              MODZ
              Hero No.9

Comment

£4.99 ain't bad at all. !
                It is too me. i don`t earn a right lot so when i go for a dig i can usually only afford to spend £20.00. I know its for charity in all, but in my case they get 70% of em back anyway when i have a clear out. Bring back the 3 for a pound boxes i say. Also Mars bars used to be bigger and you could get pissed on a fiver and still have change for the chippy, rant rant etc.
                Last edited by Mr Muench; 16-05-2005, 08:39 PM.

Comment

What annoys me is the "records are worth money, all of them , no matter what condition" attitude. I don;t mind paying real money for real records in a chazz. In fact I'd rather give them 20 quid than some dealer but most of them don't do that they just charge 2-4 quid for everything shit and shinola alike. This is really falling between the two stools and not achieving much. Which means most of us will only get the good stuff on the times you find it and they really don't get much more money.

I was out in a few on saturday and my pet gripe is the fact that 12" are the same as lps. Which means I leave the 12"s unless its something I know is good.

Also the Oxfam women seemed insanely unpleasant and suspicious. I asked about an lp with no sleeve and no price and they wanted 4 quid. So I pointed out the obvious lack of sleeve and very grudgingly she goes over to the Manager and asks what price it is " he CLAIMS it has no sleeve" was her classic line. I was on the verge of shouting "Just look at it - it ACTUALLY has no sleeve".

Then I got 10 lps for a euro in a grotty second hand book shop - mainly crap but included a John Coltrane and Last Tango In Paris. I felt like going back to Oxfam and pointing this out to them.
                  Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup
                    Also the Oxfam women seemed insanely unpleasant and suspicious. I asked about an lp with no sleeve and no price and they wanted 4 quid. So I pointed out the obvious lack of sleeve and very grudgingly she goes over to the Manager and asks what price it is " he CLAIMS it has no sleeve" was her classic line. I was on the verge of shouting "Just look at it - it ACTUALLY has no sleeve"..
                    ha...is true...often automatically assume that you've found something that is worth a pile of dough (after all,why else would you buy it?!) and you're gonna run home and chuck it up on the bay...which when you think about it is fair enough to a degree...imagine the amount of slimey wiseguy dealer types floating in and out of your average charity shop on a daily basis...enough to make anyone unpleasent and suspicious! you can't blame charities for uping their prices...just a shame they do it without any knowledge of grading/general worth/etc...on the other hand...how many charities nowadays obviously have their records priced by a dealer?...loads....you'll see average gear priced at 4 or 5 quid and you just know that some ebay geek is out the back claiming to be doing the chartiy a favour...

Comment

I heard of a guy in one of my local charities that volunteered to price the records and by all acounts was doing a fair job, pricing by quality etc. However they had to let him go as they didn`t feel that the prices were high enough.

Seen a lot of LPs going for top wack and on closer inspection (well not that close) they were re-issues or were completely battered. Best charity shops are the little ones that smell a bit and have the classic jumble sale layout. There just glad for your cash. The rest have sold out and gone commercial, they aint keepin it real.

Comment

I'd say they price themselves out of the market - I don't even bother looking in Oxfam for records anymore.

It's a shame, I know, but the bottom line is that people frequent charity shops because they get a bargain, and whilst £4 may not be a huge amount, it's more than I'm prepared to pay on a shitty-looking album, that MAY have one decent track on it.

Similarly, I avoid the stalls at car boot sales selling LPs that are individually priced, or worse, when you ask the seller how much the records are and they tell you "between £1 and £10, which one did you want?".

Comment

Originally posted by bracestower
                          I'd say they price themselves out of the market - I don't even bother looking in Oxfam for records anymore.

It's a shame, I know, but the bottom line is that people frequent charity shops because they get a bargain, and whilst £4 may not be a huge amount, it's more than I'm prepared to pay on a shitty-looking album, that MAY have one decent track on it.

Similarly, I avoid the stalls at car boot sales selling LPs that are individually priced, or worse, when you ask the seller how much the records are and they tell you "between £1 and £10, which one did you want?".

What is this alien world? I don't understand. !

Comment

What is this alien world? I don't understand. !
                            It's something about people who ask too much for records you don't want in the first place...or something.....
                            Endless Tripe

Comment

I been diggin' in the skips of late.

I win.

belfast be hardcore fools.
                              MODZ
                              Hero No.9

Comment

Working...
                              X