cheryl cornelder 'the caged'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheryl cornelder 'the caged'

Few nice finds this weekend, some of them blind punts that came good: none more than a 1973 Christian LP on the Pilgrim label by Cheryl Cornelder with a deeply unpromising front cover, but some intriguing stills from a film called 'The Caged' on the reverse.

Anyway, put this on when I got home, expecting the usual, and out comes an absolute belter of a folk-funk track called 'Silvery Rain', which would have fitted on 'Resurrection' or 'Folk Funk Flavours' without a blink - brilliant song, beautifully arranged with horns, strings, the lot (the arrangements are fantastic throughout - a guy called Peter Bye is credited).

Nothing else on side 1 quite lives up to that, but it's all perfectly listenable stuff, often a bit 'Hair' like in feel and content, and even when the singing's a touch cheesy, the tunes and arrangements are uniformly strong. Over on side two, 'Hurry Up' kicks off promisingly, but doesn't quite live up to its intro, and something similar applies to 'God Is Not Dead', but the three 'Themes from The Caged' that follow are all amazing...

Anyway, this is well worth seeking out. Incidentally, it looks like a UK product (possibly a UK/Dutch co-production, recorded in London at Air Studios/Central Sound & Wessex). The film is credited to International Films Ltd, and is evidently about "teenage steadies Anneke and Benny...forced apart by her drug taking..." with the 'message' seeming to be the main point, probably because it was aimed at youth audiences etc.

Anyway, I'm fascinated to know if anyone's seen it, or knows anything else about this or any other Peter Bye/Cheryl Cornelder stuff that might be out there...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Hmmmm... I've got this. I seem to remember it had a couple of promising sounding numbers but marred, as I recall, by Cheryl's god awful warbling. Perhaps its time has come. I'll have to dig it out.....
    Endless Tripe

Comment

She has leaves growing out of her butt.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne

Anyway, I'm fascinated to know if anyone's seen it, or knows anything else about this or any other Peter Bye/Cheryl Cornelder stuff that might be out there...

Sounds like a result. I picked up a Peter Bye arranged Pligrim LP by Gerry McClelland a few weeks ago, I think it was called 'Echoes Surround Me'. Unlike yours, the cover looked very promising...I'll try and post a pic when home from work.

Whilst not blown away on first listening there were some good bits and it was heading for funky in places. Seem to remember it had a good line up of stalwart session players. I liked the title track and there were a couple of other original songs on it....and it made it to 'my worth a second and third spin' pile. I'll get back to you about it...
        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan
          Hmmmm... I've got this. I seem to remember it had a couple of promising sounding numbers but marred, as I recall, by Cheryl's god awful warbling. Perhaps its time has come. I'll have to dig it out.....
          Yes, should've said most of the LP does suffer somewhat from Cheryl's 'acquired taste' of a voice...but I think 'Silvery Rain' and the 'Opening Theme From The Caged' work well, at least, and would recommend checking those two again...some of the others lose a little of their initial shine today, but those two still stand out as good 'Resurrection' style tracks!

And yes, Blighty, she does have leaves growing out of her butt. Must be one of those miraculous things Jesus does all the time that she keeps singing about... Obviously, us heathens will never understand.
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

The name Peter Bye rings a few bells - the only thing I can call to mind that he's done, though, is the arrangements on an LP about Jersey by one Bob Anthony, 'Ile D'amour'. Nothing you'd want to hear on that one, I'm afraid....

Comment

Working...
            X