• Show
Clear All

• Reserves on library auctions

Reserves on library EBAY auctions
    How do you feel about that ?

And it seems that (almost) no matter how high the bid goes,
    that reserve is rarely met

Jack

As long as they are honest with a description, I don't have a problem.... surely what they want for an item is up to them, no ?

If you don't like the price, don't pay it.
    Matt Hero

Comment

The reserves generally used to be reached though. It's just that a lot of sellers got greedy and library is rapidly going out of fashion and those records aren't selling for what they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ 20 June 2003,08:19)]The reserves generally used to be reached though. It's just that a lot of sellers got greedy and library is rapidly going out of fashion and those records aren't selling for what they used to.
        That's what happens when records get hyped !

are the funk 45's next

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never quite understood why people list items with high reserves but low starting bids: this does seem to be a bit of a con. If your reserve is $20, or £200, why not make that your starting bid, since it's the minimum you're prepared to sell it for? Having a $9.99 start bid set on an item with a reserve of (say) $100, is just wasting people's time, frankly. Or is it just me? I suppose it's a useful tool to allow you to ensure you're not obliged to sell if the price stays low, but allows you to see how high it goes, but I still figure if you have a set price you want, you should put that info upfront. Don't muck about, fools
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

It costs less to put an auction on for £1 with a £100 reserve - then a straight £100 auction.

Also more people bid on reserve auctions - If someone browses an auction and sees a £100 opener - they scoff! Yet if its a reserve then they plug away and have a few bids.

You may be an upfront kind of guy mr wayne! But the rest of the world certainly are not.
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (sermad @ 20 June 2003,11:54)]It costs less to put an auction on for £1 with a £100 reserve - then a straight £100 auction.

Also more people bid on reserve auctions - If someone browses an auction and sees a £100 opener - they scoff&#33; Yet if its a reserve then they plug away and have a few bids.
              That&#39;d explain it, then... though I still think the reserve should be noted at the outset. Those extra bids who might scoff at the £100 price tag are really having their time wasted, aren&#39;t they? Well, it&#39;s one more of the many reasons I&#39;ve never actually bothered with ebay, I suppose... Spending cash is enough of a headache as it is without the &#39;bay&#39;s many ways of making it feel like the equivalent of one of those automated phone systems that never actually gets you where you want to be&#33;
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wayne @ 20 June 2003,13:36)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ 20 June 2003,11:54)]It costs less to put an auction on for £1 with a £100 reserve - then a straight £100 auction.

Also more people bid on reserve auctions - If someone browses an auction and sees a £100 opener - they scoff&#33; Yet if its a reserve then they plug away and have a few bids.
                That&#39;d explain it, then... though I still think the reserve should be noted at the outset. Those extra bids who might scoff at the £100 price tag are really having their time wasted, aren&#39;t they? Well, it&#39;s one more of the many reasons I&#39;ve never actually bothered with ebay, I suppose... Spending cash is enough of a headache as it is without the &#39;bay&#39;s many ways of making it feel like the equivalent of one of those automated phone systems that never actually gets you where you want to be&#33;
                WORD
                Whats you&#39;re style ?

Comment

Wayne,

Generally bidding again and again, over and over, that is a
                  obsessive/compulsive thing. Doing the same exact thing
                  over and over again.

It feeds into that person&#39;s own core being and fuels it like air
                  to fire. It makes them crazier than they normally are.

Having a Reserve allows them to feed/fuel their own fire.
                  Having a set oening bid like &#036;100, already makes that decision
                  for them and they don &#39;t like that. THEY want to think THEY
                  are in control but the reality is, is it is totally out of their contro

I just woke up

Bidding and auctions is gambling. You are betting that no one will pay more than you are. YOU ARE BETTING. Betting is gambling. Gambling is WHAT ? What is gambling ?
                  That is what EBAY is all about

DOES any of that make sense ?

Jack

Comment

Yeah Jack.
                    Ebay is the Crack.
                    She steal your life, your money, your home and your dignity.
                    Auctions Anonymous coming your way soon.

But there&#39;s some cheap records to be had now and again.
                    Stop wasting your money on records and get a proper hobby.

Comment

There&#39;s no doubt EBAY ANONYMOUS already exists
                      and yes, many things slips thru the cracks and many
                      things many people don&#39;t know what they are and
                      aren&#39;t willing to spend a few dollars to take a chance on discovering something new, leaving them for the few that are and those guys SCORE

Also, most people are sheep and are followers and lack courage
                      Sad but true

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Jack @ 20 June 2003,17:33)]Also, most people are sheep and are followers and lack courage
                        Sad but true
                        Now thats the Tuth, Ruth &#33;
                        SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Ooops&#33; Guess I was feeling grumpy today...

I suppose ebay is cool if you want to play the games, but I&#39;m not so much straight ahead as just too impatient to want to spend all the time and effort involved in getting into the spirit of the &#39;bay. I&#39;d rather do something else, frankly.

And as long as ebay is just one choice - another place you can choose or choose not to go to find stuff you want - it&#39;s all for the good. If you&#39;re a private seller it&#39;s probably a godsend because prior to that, the choice was basically to sell or trade with dealers, who take a good chunk of the actual value of your stuff.

Unfortunately, while I&#39;ve always felt the &#39;bay was occasionally a breeding ground for stupidity &amp; hype, but basically benign (even a good thing - I don&#39;t bid or sell on it, but I do use it to check out sleeve photos etc - it has its uses) I guess I&#39;m becoming increasingly anti- it because, like the Vultures say on the board this month, it&#39;s starting to monopolise the game in ways that I think are really damaging.

Nah, good luck to those who can make it work for them while it lasts, but I&#39;d still rather flick through a pile of musty boxes I&#39;ve found in a junkshop &amp; just get that kick out of feeling the weight of the things in my hand (that&#39;s if the junkshop hasn&#39;t put its entire stock up on ebay &amp; been turned into another bleedin&#39; Starbucks, that is...).

I really am starting to sound like my Dad these days. And I swore it&#39;d never happen.

Comment

ebay ain`t the crack....records are the crack

ebay just serves as the dealer giving you your fix....that`s all

If it wasn`t around people would still be hitting up dealers &amp; the set sale list guys ie jazzman for their rare record fixes(well a lot still do i suppose).

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Vic Flick @ 22 June 2003,02:43)]ebay ain`t the crack....records are the crack
                              RECORDS ARE THE CRACK &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Tell&#39;em Vic &#33;

Record collecting is no mere hobby, no leisurely innocuous
                              diversion. IT&#39;S A FEVERISH PASSION, BORDERING ON DEMENTIA, driving those under its influence to irrational
                              COMPULSIVE and sometimes fanatical extremes.
                              Wheeeeeeeee

Comment

Working...
                              X