X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handcorkscrew
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sermad @ 23 June 2003,14:28)]oh yeah paypal is one big con.

say you win an auction off me and its $100 total.

so you send me $100.

well me being the recipient - you would think I would get $100.

but you would be soooooo wrong. The standard rate is 3.4% and if your getting sent foreign funds then they whack an extra 1% on top!!

So on every $100 Im losing say $4.5 to Paypal.

Possibly the most morally corrupt process I have ever known. No wonder ebay bought them.

If you can - pay paypal with switch cos at the moment I think they are waiving some of the fees (I think).

I think asking for the paypal fee after the auction has ended and not stating this in the auction is a no go. Just tell them you'll report them to ebay and give the -ve feedback
    Paypal isn't "morally corrupt", it's a business like any other. Just as if you were to go to the post office and get a money order made up for $.85, you're paying for the convenience of sending money through the post. But in this case, online. I don't see what's so outrageous about that, you're paying for a service, and if the surcharge was on the buyer's end, nobody would ever use it.

Oh, and you CAN'T charge a surcharge for paying via paypal. If you read the service agreement there's a line about that. A few times sellers try to do the bait & switch on me and once they realize that they are either out that small percentage or they get their paypal account yanked, they sweeten up nicely. Auctions do still get pulled for having a paypal surcharge in the description, too.

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    wow lots of threads going on here.

re pokester - yeah they did pull your auction if you asked for paypal fees - I think maybe you can do this now as Ive seen quite a few auctions mention this.

re wayne - yes kpm have a company looking for their records on ebay. If they spot them then they cancel your auction. Totally daft situation.

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ 21 June 2003,23:54)]hey jack
    I don't understand the difference here - if someone thinks a record is rare they can choose to put a reserve on it - why is it any different if it's a library lp? after all, the same thing happens with soul, funk, psych, r'n'b, classical....
    Maybe I'm wrong (or going off on another tangent) but isn't there a special case with some library records (as opposed to other genres) to the extent that because they were never 'sold' they technically remain the property of the companies that issued them, and so selling them can be regarded as illegal, and if a company wished to enforce it, it could demand the return of the records? This is definitely the case with promo items generally (they often come with stickers forbidding resale, & sometimes stating that they remain the property of the company sending it out) but I know of no cases where this legal right has actually been enforced by a company. Haven't KPM, on a couple of occasions, done this, though? Just curious, really - where does a library collector stand in these legal terms? Could KPM, Southern, De Wolfe etc etc at least *theoretically* sue for return of 'their' property? Does that have any bearing on the question of reserves/ebay sales etc?

Leave a comment:

• pokester
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sermad @ 23 June 2003,14:28)]oh yeah paypal is one big con.

so you send me $100.

but you would be soooooo wrong. The standard rate is 3.4% and it your converting funds then they whack an extra 1% on top!!

Possibly the most morally corrupt process I have ever known. No wonder ebay bought them.

If you can - pay paypal with switch cos at the moment I think they are waiving some of the fees (I think).

I think asking for the paypal fee after the auction has ended and not stating this in the auction is a no go. Just tell them you'll report them to ebay and give the -ve feedback

There was a time when they pulled of auctions, if an extra fee for pay-pal stated .

Do they still do this ?

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    oh yeah paypal is one big con.

so you send me $100.

but you would be soooooo wrong. The standard rate is 3.4% and if your getting sent foreign funds then they whack an extra 1% on top!!

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    No, £2.30 for S+H (which is fine apart from the fact that they stated £2.20 in the auction - watch the pennies and all that). But they want another quid on top for PayPal. I'm just griping about transparency of charges. Is PayPal really so expensive?

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    what?? he wants £2.30 on top to cash a cheque?

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    This may deserve another thread but...  What do you make of sellers charging a PayPal surcharge?  I've just been asked to pay for the privilege of using PayPal on two auctions I've won this morning and the practice seems to be getting more common.

In one the seller stated upfront that he requests a 5% addition to the total to cover PayPal.  Okay so strictly the seller should figure that into his starting price but, fair enough, that's little more than the cost of a stamp to post a cheque and he stated his terms upfront.  Howvere, on the second the seller declared £2.20 for S+H in the auction blurb and now wants £2.30 (cheque) or £3.30 (PayPal)?  How much does PayPal cost?

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    oh ok that makes sense then - I almost never bid on library records so I didn't realise....I'll hang my head in shame too.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jon,

Because reserves on Library is really new

That's relatively the only thing I bid on and I
    have noticed as of only the last month or so,
    Reserves on lib. LP's.

I guess I was the only 1 who noticed.
    Sorry to be such a bother. Hanging my head in shame

Jack

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    hey jack
    I don't understand the difference here - if someone thinks a record is rare they can choose to put a reserve on it - why is it any different if it's a library lp? after all, the same thing happens with soul, funk, psych, r'n'b, classical....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    BUT the subject wasn't about regular records.
    It was about reserves on LIBRARY Records

Library

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Vic Flick @ 22 June 2003,02:43)]ebay ain`t the crack....records are the crack
    RECORDS ARE THE CRACK !!!!! Tell'em Vic !

Record collecting is no mere hobby, no leisurely innocuous
    diversion. IT'S A FEVERISH PASSION, BORDERING ON DEMENTIA, driving those under its influence to irrational
    COMPULSIVE and sometimes fanatical extremes.
    Wheeeeeeeee

Leave a comment:

• Vic Flick
    replied
    ebay ain`t the crack....records are the crack

ebay just serves as the dealer giving you your fix....that`s all

If it wasn`t around people would still be hitting up dealers & the set sale list guys ie jazzman for their rare record fixes(well a lot still do i suppose).

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    Ooops! Guess I was feeling grumpy today...

I suppose ebay is cool if you want to play the games, but I'm not so much straight ahead as just too impatient to want to spend all the time and effort involved in getting into the spirit of the 'bay. I'd rather do something else, frankly.

And as long as ebay is just one choice - another place you can choose or choose not to go to find stuff you want - it's all for the good. If you're a private seller it's probably a godsend because prior to that, the choice was basically to sell or trade with dealers, who take a good chunk of the actual value of your stuff.

Unfortunately, while I've always felt the 'bay was occasionally a breeding ground for stupidity & hype, but basically benign (even a good thing - I don't bid or sell on it, but I do use it to check out sleeve photos etc - it has its uses) I guess I'm becoming increasingly anti- it because, like the Vultures say on the board this month, it's starting to monopolise the game in ways that I think are really damaging.

Nah, good luck to those who can make it work for them while it lasts, but I'd still rather flick through a pile of musty boxes I've found in a junkshop & just get that kick out of feeling the weight of the things in my hand (that's if the junkshop hasn't put its entire stock up on ebay & been turned into another bleedin' Starbucks, that is...).

I really am starting to sound like my Dad these days. And I swore it'd never happen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X