Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning solution for a dirty stylus

Hello everyone.

I have run out of cleaning solution for my grubby needle. I was wondering if anyone here can tell me what the chemical used for cleaning stylii is?? Would it be some kind of alcohol like isopropanol??

Cheers,
    david
    God bless Fatso.

Howdy guv

This site recommends a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution, so I reckon that's your best bet. Not sure where you buy such things, though?

I go through occasional agonies about stylus cleaning. When I were a lad my brother used to have a bottle of stylus cleaner and on the back of its box, it showed a picture of a clean stylus and one that had played one side of an LP. It was pretty terrifying, I can tell you. What does everyone else use? Or do you not bother?
    The Pop Music Library

Comment

I'm paranoid about the state of my stylus I buy a new one at least once a year even though I only play relatively clean records and only at home. It gives me peace of mind

I did an experiment years ago with what looked like a clean record I just bought from a second hand shop. It was ok but a bit crackly. I wanted to see how much crap was in the grooves so I sprayed the surface with record cleaner and played the record wet. You should have seen all the gunk that piled up behind the stylus

After cleaning it off i tried the record again and it was terrific! I'm sure this is a good way to clean records but I'm not sure it's good for the stylus.
      Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Anyone know about this "paper" you can get for cleaning styli?

I went to a high end hifi shop looking for a brush and fluid a few years ago and they looked at me all pityingly and offered me this green slightly roughened palstic paper which you run over the stylus to get the crap off. I've seen other mentions of it. As well as the cut price use very fine sandpaper option. It seems odd to me but does seem to work.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

So it's just me who licks their stylus then ? I rely on the powers of saliva to rot anything nasty on there
          Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hero
            So it's just me who licks their stylus then ? I rely on the powers of saliva to rot anything nasty on there

You are not alone... but saying that Matt, your spittle is probably 70% alcohol, just the same as mine...

"who dares, gins..."
            If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Chemist Alcohol Protocol

Originally posted by Tommo of Sprowston
              Howdy guv

This site recommends a 70% isopropyl alcohol solution, so I reckon that's your best bet. Not sure where you buy such things, though?
              ?

You can buy it from any chemist but the head pharmicist will come out from round the back and look you over (fnar fnar) before they sell it to you.

Honestly.

So shave; wear a clean well-pressed shirt and smart, responsibly striped tie; don't wobble your head too much and look like you've got your wits about you.

It's very popular with alcoholics apparently; being 70% proof.

Christ knows why they assume scruffy / dirty / unkempt equals alcoholic...if those are the signs they come out to look for... it's usually the exact opposite!

Any chemists on the site enlighten me? Is there a pharmaceutical handbook offering guidelines on how to spot an alcoholic??
              <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture

"who dares, gins..."
                WORD
                http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend
                  Any chemists on the site enlighten me? Is there a pharmaceutical handbook offering guidelines on how to spot an alcoholic??

... just take a quick look at Sermad's avatar...
                  If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
                    ... just take a quick look at Sermad's avatar...

Aaaah...now I understand it.

Is that really him?

And there was square ol' me taking his avatar personally.

Think I'll pass on this whole Brillo malarkey if that's an example of the clientele.....it clashes with me Salsa dancing classes anyway.
                    <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

You mean you're supposed to clean your stylus as well as your records, as opposed to just replacing every so often? Clean as in not JUST taking the dust off it with your fingers? Looks like that's another meeting I missed...
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend
                        Think I'll pass on this whole Brillo malarkey if that's an example of the clientele.....
                        It can, on occasions, be a lot worse than that....

Comment

I find a cotton bud soaked in tape head cleaning fluid works ok. But i hardly clean myself let alone my needle's

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone.
                            However, it is not recommended to use the tip of a finger to clean your stlyus, as oil from your skin can be left behind.

David S.
                            God bless Fatso.

Comment

Working...
                            X