• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • someblokecalledfuz
    Lonely Jelly
    • Mar 2005

Stella Sutton / Duster Bennett

This is one of those questions I've been meaning to throw to the vultures for a while but forgot all about it, until now.

Blues man Duster Bennett's albums are worth seeking out in there own right, but on 'Justa Duster' Blue Horizon BH4804 on a song entitled 'Talk to me' he is joined by vocalist Stella Sutton. A song so beautiful it's hard to describe, but her vocals knock me out...

Light googleing has got me nowhere so did she do her own stuff? If she did how does it match up to this colaboration with Duster? Has she worked with anyone else?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

• someblokecalledfuz
    Lonely Jelly
    • Mar 2005

Sorry to bump this to the top again, but, surely somebody knows something... does anybody have any clues...?
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

• Nambo
      Hot Butter
      • Jan 2006

Stella Sutton

Hi Dude, I feel the same way about Stella Sutton hence my finding your post on this forum by putting Stella Sutton in a search engine.
      I dont know the song you refer to, but probably the most beautifully haunting songs I heard was Stella Sutton singing with Duster Bennett a song called "Times Like these", (well at least that was the pre-dominant line in the song), "Times like these babe, feel Iam standing still, times like these babe, feel Iam standing still, I cant see a future, b'live I never will,", you know the voice.
      Anyway, cannot remember the Duster Bennet album except that it had copies of billboards on it advertising Dusters gigs as a one man band, I think he did two tracks with Stella. Apart from hearing from somebody that she was a Jazz singer, Ive been in second hand record shops from here to there, 12 years on the net, and your post is the first confirmation that anybody else in the world has actually heard of her!

Maybe, in much the same way as with Duster, she was an undiscovered talent, a local pub singer perhaps, (purely guessing here), but what a waste if that is so.

If you do discover anything more of her, please post me.

Update, continuing my search on Google I just found this http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=565
      Its the album I was refering to and states that Stella Sutton was Duster Bennets girlfriend!

Nambo
      Last edited by Nambo; 01-01-2006, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• someblokecalledfuz
        Lonely Jelly
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nambo
        Hi Dude, I feel the same way about Stella Sutton hence my finding your post on this forum by putting Stella Sutton in a search engine.
        I dont know the song you refer to, but probably the most beautifully haunting songs I heard was Stella Sutton singing with Duster Bennett a song called "Times Like these", (well at least that was the pre-dominant line in the song), "Times like these babe, feel Iam standing still, times like these babe, feel Iam standing still, I cant see a future, b'live I never will,", you know the voice.
        Anyway, cannot remember the Duster Bennet album except that it had copies of billboards on it advertising Dusters gigs as a one man band, I think he did two tracks with Stella. Apart from hearing from somebody that she was a Jazz singer, Ive been in second hand record shops from here to there, 12 years on the net, and your post is the first confirmation that anybody else in the world has actually heard of her!

Maybe, in much the same way as with Duster, she was an undiscovered talent, a local pub singer perhaps, (purely guessing here), but what a waste if that is so.

If you do discover anything more of her, please post me.

Update, continuing my search on Google I just found this http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=565
        Its the album I was refering to and states that Stella Sutton was Duster Bennets girlfriend!

Nambo
        Mr. Nambo - I feel very similar to you! I have the album that you have but not the Bright lights that is refered to in the review... have to keep em peeled...

If you personal message me your address I can send you a cdr copy of the song to which I refer in my original post...

Welcome to the board... stick around as there is lots of great music discovered / discussed here.

Fuz
        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

• Nambo
          Hot Butter
          • Jan 2006

When you say "I have the album that you have but not the Bright lights that is refered to in the review", are you saying you have the 1968 album "Smiling like Iam happy"?, if so, I would Love a copy of that as I only had a copy on tape which has now gone, and cannot find it anywhere on CD.
          My e-mail is [email protected]

Cheers

Comment

• Bennett
            Hot Butter
            • May 2008

Request for information on Stella Sutton

Hi,

I was intrigued to see the messages posted about my mother in law, Stella Bennett (né Sutton) who did indeed perform and record some tracks with Tony 'Duster' Bennett'; her singing was really an adjunct to Tony's music & consequently she did not perform again after his death.

The recent biography of Tony (published 2007) gives a fairly reliable profile of both Tony and Stella.

Pennie Bennett

Comment

• Nambo
              Hot Butter
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Bennett View Post
              Hi,

I was intrigued to see the messages posted about my mother in law, Stella Bennett (né Sutton) who did indeed perform and record some tracks with Tony 'Duster' Bennett'; her singing was really an adjunct to Tony's music & consequently she did not perform again after his death.

The recent biography of Tony (published 2007) gives a fairly reliable profile of both Tony and Stella.

Pennie Bennett
              Hi Pennie.
              Thanks for your post.
              I expect Fuz will share my sentiments, that your Mother in Law has the most hauntingly beautifull voice, especially suited to emotional blues.
              I love lots of sorts of music, but can honestly state that nobody has inspired me to search out thier work to the extent Stella Sutton has.
              Every old record shop I have encountered, I have enquired of her.
              Its a real shame the use of her gift died with the Great Duster Bennett. maybe she didnt realise her talent.
              Do please tell her the extent to which she is appreatiated in at least a small corner of the world, the small corner that is still aware of her.

Peter.

Comment

• Daddy Ya Ya
                Lonely Jelly
                • Feb 2004

Hi,

Pennie Bennett
                Wow ! what's this biography ? I need a copy.

Loved Stella's voice and Duster's albums are fantastic - I think he'd released a load of new stuff on the RAK label just before his death - sort of a comeback.

I used to work with a bloke who was at school with him - reckoned he was a really talented artist (drawing).
                "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

• someblokecalledfuz
                  Lonely Jelly
                  • Mar 2005

Hi,

Pennie Bennett
                  Hi Pennie,

Many thanks for joining and posting.

Please tell your mother in law, that she truely has a very special, unique voice.

It completely makes sense now, thanks for that. Makes it all the more special.

I'll have to get hold of the biography, what's it called?
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

• folkishienne
                    Electric Banana
                    • Apr 2005

Dusters Biog:

Jumping at Shadows
                    https://www.facebook.com/AudioGrailGarrard301

Comment

• aging raver
                      Hot Butter
                      • Oct 2010

Hi there, i found these threads as i was looking for information on another Duster Bennett associate, Tony Mills, he played bass on the early stuff, we all hung out around Richmond at the time, The Imperial and the like, i still recall Duster deciding to take up Guitar to accompany his harmonica.. The last time i saw Duster & Tony was at a gig he played in Tooting, around '72 i think, anyway a friend of Tony Mills is trying to get back in contact with him, and i have been trying to Help, also wondering if Stella was anything to do with Mick Sutton another old chum from that period.. If you can help.. thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X