X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viva Chiba
    replied
    ?!

Not quite as appalling as Kill Bill's numbing parade of Hong Kong/Japanese "references" but it wasn't particularly gripping.

The wife was wailing that "This is boooooooooooring" five minutes in. . .
    Two hours later I kind of got her point.

Noir is probably. . .defined as much by style as content (this is a labyrinthine critical debate which I'm not going to explore here). I'm not doubting the quality, or the "authenticity", of the film's visuals. . .some shots were quite striking. And as you stated, the CGI isn't at the forefront. . . the actors are, so the computer generated "sets" are barely perceptible (primarily rendered in fairly stark b & w, the lack of colour probably makes this easier).

Unfortunately there was no content for the style to triumph over. There are a million stories in the naked city. . . unfortunately the same old myths are being regurgitated and redigested every week.

As a vehicle for "entertainment" and making barrow-loads of greenbacks it's obviously an enviably successful venture. Personally errrrr I want a bit of thinly veiled political allegory rammed down my throat, some nifty editing and violence depicted as a rather pathetic and sordid byproduct of the human condition rather than stylised into titillating abstraction.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Cope
    replied
    It's pastiche noir, Viva.

Leave a comment:

• Viva Chiba
    replied
    ?!

Bah.

Gimme Sam Fuller's "Underworld USA" any day. . . now that is fuckin' noir.

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    frodo = kevin. Creep psycho cannibal.

Leave a comment:

• Martin Lovegrove
    replied
    I liked it too... I have read some of the comics, but that's going back some... really liked the character played by him out of Lord of the Rings (mind's gone blank)... it is a little bit 'style over content' but still worth it I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Cope
    replied
    Just saw it myself. Sometimes the dialogue stilts, and the voice overs might grate on some people, but that's the point - it's supposed to be like that.

I thought it started off not too great - Willis & Madson were delivering pretty bad, like the direction wasn't coming together. But then I thought the Marv character was great, liked his part a lot. When Willis appears again, he's tons better - maybe it's Madson that can't act for toffee and brought the whole show down, or maybe it was whoever was directing - since there seems to be three of them...

Thought there were some fantastic cinema moments dotted around the film, and just to get that nowadays is something. Should've given Jessica Alba more lasso lessons. Though I enjoyed Marv's part, I thought the last story was by far the best one, funny how it started so bad at the beginning though.

Didn't think this movie was particularly hyped. I mean if you're gonna actually read all the garbage fluff pieces about a film before it's release, or equate the number of bus shelter ads into some kind of film buff enjoyment formula, then you're just asking for an anti-climax. I always ignore all the publicity guff - spoils the film.

All in all, a successful transition from comic book to silver screen - more meaty than most other comic films, less reliant on sfx, even though it was heavily stylised. Kept a good atmosphere, enjoyed it a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Viva Chiba
    replied
    ?!

I wasn't keen on it at all either. Been hyped to high heaven, this has.

Perhaps this is partially a result of owning all the graphic novels and knowing exactly what the characters are going to say. . .

Didn't think the visual style of the movie was as gob-smacking as Miller's art - at least in the earlier Sin Cities. And errr it didt really leave me with much to think about, and the pacing was far too fast I think - mainly due to their rigid adherence to nearly every frame of the books. If they had taken liberties I'd say a fine 90 minute feature entirely concentrating on the Marv character would have been great. It deserves more than 30 minutes, really. .

Miller's dialogue also reads better than it sounds. "Yeesh" ?? err. . .
    And the insistent "gritty" voiceover became rather annoying.

Basically vapid popcorn shite I think.

Still, at least it will turn people on to the comix, which can only be good. Unfortunately now Frank Miller apparently thinks he's a director. . . hmm.

Leave a comment:

• llmod1
    replied
    Got copies of Sin City already on dodgy dvd's along with Starwars and tons of other stuff that's only just out, Sin City is great but avoid Constantine which is also based on a comic, pants in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by LDJB
    Rich - is your new avatar a pic of you at work in said asylum?
    It is me, but me at the first Finders Keepers drums-bass-and-DJ 'after party'...

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Hero
    I used to work in Arkham Asylum.

(i.e. my old place of work is the location used in the new film ).
    Rich - is your new avatar a pic of you at work in said asylum?

Leave a comment:

• stinkyweaselteets
    replied
    Originally posted by sermad
    Xmen 1 & 2 was a great comic book films. (2 being better I think).

Spiderman 1 & 2 were good too.

The original superman film was great too. Brando on top form there.

Im looking forward to batman begins. Ive heard good reports so far on this.

Superman two was the best, what with Terence stamp playing Zod and supes giving up his powers.

Also a good (i use the word good loosely) comic book film crossover was Hardware which was taken from 2000AD (thargs future shocks) where lemmy from motorhead plays the part of a speedboat taxi driver listening to the ace of spades on his boat (geynius!)

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by sermad
    I used to work in Arkham Asylum.

(i.e. my old place of work is the location used in the new film ).

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    Xmen 1 & 2 was a great comic book films. (2 being better I think).

Spiderman 1 & 2 were good too.

The original superman film was great too. Brando on top form there.

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied
    Why does everyone like this except me? I thought it was boring as hell. Comics never work on the big screen.

Leave a comment:

• stinkyweaselteets
    replied
    lots of T&A too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X