What's the world coming to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the world coming to...

On the way to work i usually read the metro (on the rare occassion that the school kids have'nt ripped them all up and scattered the remains all over the bus) and today it really got me down to read a dozen or so stories of kids being...well shitty to put it mildly. I mean what is the world coming to when kids are trying to hang other kids, schools are employing security gaurds to prevent innocent kids becoming the next victims of happy slapping (of which i have had first hand experience so it's not just kids being subjected to this shit) and a 7 year old kills his baby brother/sister in order to stop them from crying.
    Now i know i used to get up to some stuff when i was a kid, but this is just crazyness.
    Sorry for the moody thread (think i'm just feeling my age).
    www.benjavens.blogspot.com

is happy slapping where someone comes up to you hits you while your being filmed on a camcorder or summit???

I wish someone would do that to me(!) I need to to batter someone right now

but yeah the news is even more demoralising than normal at the mo.......

Comment

When I was young, the locks on the front door were made of paper. And it was all fields. Everywhere.
      Matt Hero

Comment

why do 24 hour petrol stations have locks if they are open 24/7??

discuss

Comment

Originally posted by the average man
          why do 24 hour petrol stations have locks if they are open 24/7??

discuss
          ..........for when Little Davey (or Ezee D as he's known to his clan) and his band of 'helpers', the Krochet Kru, wanna pay 'em a liddle visit for a packet o' ten Royals and some super king rizzies.....wiv'aaaaarttt payin' for 'em.

You schlag! !

Comment

I think a lot of it is just MEED-YA hype. and the fact that the whole information overload things means that all the similar stories can be colleceted and reported at the same time.

Like the incident with the 5 year old being tied to a tree - it's pretty horrible - but it doesn't sound like he was as injured quite as much as it is made out. From what I've read he was concious when his mum found him and was able to say what happened. I don't want to appear unsympathetic but I would hazard a gues that in days gone by - this incident would have just about scraped into someones local paper at most.

Kids can be cruel bastards. they always have been. Nothing new.

Comment

But haven`t those arrested been arrested on suspicion of "Attempted murder" ?
              Sounds a bit more than a kid being tied to a tree.......
              "I`m not saying that i think guitars are better than women, but i don`t know too many guys who fell out of love with their guitar" - Les Paul

Comment

I agree with Cheebs

When was the last time you read about necrotizing fasciitis? It seemed half of the UK was being slowly devoured by a flesh eating virus at one stage.

Certain stories do seem to become flavour of the month.

At present, the entire moral decline of the nation is down to hooded top wearing feral children.

Next week it will be illegal immigrants or gypsies again.

That said, I always moan that society is getting worse, but its just because I'm getting older. Before, the kids hanging around the bus shelter drinking cider and stealing scooters were my mates. Now they are scumbag lowlifes whose parents shouldn't let them be out at that time of night.

Bring back national service I say! Or the birch. Hangings too good for them.
                He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Originally posted by Si Cheeba
                  Kids can be cruel bastards. they always have been. Nothing new.
                  That's the truth... I see it all as tying in with creating a culture of fear. Having done some youth work in recent years i have come to the conclusion that 'things aren't getting worse' but things are being picked up on and exposed though the media in a warped way. The population is getting older and we have to be careful of victimising the young. I'm not saying that things are the same as they ever were - but that these issue aren't new and you have to be careful not to get caught up in another moral panic... don't believe the hype... BTW
                  Soundcloud

Comment

Keep the public in fear and they'll agree that ID cards are a good idea, locking people up on the suspicion that they might commit a crime is reasonable, etc., etc... What really depresses me is how many people fall for all this without questioning what's going on, THAT'S scary.

<edit> As Mendoza sez, don't believe the hype...
                    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                      Keep the public in fear and they'll agree that ID cards are a good idea, locking people up on the suspicion that they might commit a crime is reasonable, etc., etc... What really depresses me is how many people fall for all this without questioning what's going on.
                      That's what i'm getting at. Take into account ASBO's, the number of kids in Young Offenders Institutes and the fact that more kids are expelled from school than they have been in the past and it all adds up to a criminalised and victimised youth. Problem is none of it gets to the roots of the problem... Don't get me started on this...
                      Soundcloud

Comment

It's all very Strausian innit.

But then I wear a hoodie, so my comments should be viewed with that in mind.
                        Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Teessider
                          But haven`t those arrested been arrested on suspicion of "Attempted murder" ?
                          Sounds a bit more than a kid being tied to a tree.......

yeh, but, no but...

I remember hearing about a kid at a freinds school (in Sheffield) actually being murdered by fellow pupils (early 90s) - this didn't even make the local TV news....

Comment

I know that things have'nt changed that much and that the slightest of things is being picked up by the media and then blown out of proportion, but "when i were a lad" i'm sure kids did'nt attack strangers so they could film it and send to the mates for a laugh.
                            I was a subject of said happy slapping the other week and was completely oblivious to this kind of thing happening until there was a program on the tv about it the night after (pretty horrific stuff - kids setting fire to a guy asleep at a bus stop). The thing that annoys me about this is the whole attitude that its kids being kids and you can't blame them and most certainley can't give em a good hidin' if your fast enough to catch em (i'm getting too old to chase em').
                            www.benjavens.blogspot.com

Comment

Well, I guess you can put into perspective by seeing it as just the latest in a very long line of moral panics about degenerate youth, from mods & rockers in the 60s, teds in the 50s, or white girls visiting opium dens before the first world war. Even things like the Jamie Bulger case have precedents, and one article a year or two back delved into the archives to find several similar cases in local archives from the 1860s or thereabouts, so you can see hoodies, happy slapping and the like as the latest panic in a very long line. Even sick, extreme things like tramps being set alight, pissed on & abused are long, ignoble British traditions...

I think what has changed is the intensity of media coverage (partly about expanded platforms, insatiable need for big stories to keep them all filled etc), partly the hyping of each new case to counter the inevitable diminishing returns, and partly the corrosive effect of the last 30 years on public institutions, which leaves people generally feeling less protected - the effect would best be countered by rebuilding some of the infrastructure sacrificed to free market fundamentalism (ie: non-profit youth clubs & facilities, revival of unions to look out for young workers' interests, even proper maintainence and staffing at parks and other public spaces) but instead the options are presented as CCTV/ID cards/ASBOs etc, which achieve very little in terms of actually making public spaces workable again.

I say all this after a week of petty, brainless, moronic incidents, ranging from the mindless trashing of a garden fence by a gang of 4 youths last week, to the smashing of a windowbox yesterday, and it can start to seem like you're under some kind of seige after a while. But then we'd go raiding garden sheds and scrapyards as kids, or dare each other to go 'hedge hopping' down a whole row of gardens, probably mindlessly trashing people's flower beds and fences as we went, so nothing has REALLY changed, except they're my f***ing flower beds and fences now, so I'm pissed off about it in my old age.

And to really put it in perspective, I always try to keep in mind who's interest it's in to circulate all these stories about how unprecedentedly dangerous it is out there (though even the grimmest estate in 2005 is probably safer now than its equivalent in 1850). After all, if we're not out in the streets and public spaces, we'll most likely be at home watching...the very channels who are most vigorously making us afraid to go out? Well, bless my soul, what a coincidence that would be if it happened to be the case!

So as Nick Ross would put it - after doing everything in his power to terrify his viewers - don't have nightmares, folks!
                              Last edited by wayne; 03-06-2005, 03:18 PM.
                              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                              X